Delta Pilot Strike

Baltorep

I too have tickets purchased, not bid on, at priceline's site for Delta flights.This is the info I found at their website concerning a strike by an Airline:

Airline Tickets: My Existing Reservation

What if the airline I am ticketed on goes on strike?

You have the same rights as any other passenger in the event of a work stoppage. Your airline is obligated to make alternative arrangements for you to travel at no additional cost in the event your flight is delayed or cancelled - whether you're holding paper tickets or electronic reservations.

If the airline you're ticketed on goes on strike, please call their customer service department to make alternate flight arrangements. Click here for a complete list of airline customer service numbers.

USA Today 5/25/05:

Late last year, Congress extended a key provision of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act . The extension, through Nov. 19 of this year, provides important consumer protections to passengers who have booked tickets on airlines that shut down.

Under Section 145 of the law, airlines operating on the same route will be obligated to transport such passengers, if space is available and "to the extent practicable," at a cost not to exceed $50 on a round-trip basis. Such bookings must be made within 60 days from the cessation of the bankrupt airline's operations.

This means several things: If you're booking an airline in or close to Chapter 11, you should be aware of other options on that route. It may be worth shifting to another carrier. If no other carrier operates that exact route, you're probably not protected under Section 145.

The bottom line is that while ATSA is certainly better than no protection at all, it would not offer much assistance in a real-world scenario.

After all, it would do little to help the masses of travelers if a major carrier such as United or Delta stopped flying.

Available seats in this era of record-high passenger loads would be extremely rare, particularly at a bankrupt major's hub.

In the end, many passengers would pay to rebook on another carrier, which is an alternative you should consider in the first place.

Be prepared. If you're traveling on an airline that's on a shutdown watch list, obtain timetables for rival carriers operating the same routes. If you're grounded, be ready to start marathon cell phoning, because most airline reservations lines will be tied up.

If you're traveling on an E-ticket, always ask for a paper receipt (airlines often will provide one via e-mail). If your airline shuts down and all its reservations computers shut down with it, a "paperless" ticket can hurt you if you're seeking to have a booking honored by another carrier. Better yet insist on a negotiable paper ticket.

Remember, most flights today are traveling pretty full. To be accomodated by another airline it's for a fee and based on available space. At the same time many flyers will be trying to find alternative flights for those fewer seats.

I tyrped in Delta pilot in yahoo news search and got the latest on the bankruptcy hearing.

Basically, the judge won't make a decision until Nov 28. The union won't do anything before that.

After that, the union could strike. I think they have to give 30 days notice (not sure on that, just heard it), so if that was the case, the soonest we'd see Delta grounded would be 12/28/05.

However, I think the union is bluffing, to get other concessions. Today in court, Delta said they were losing $5million a DAY! No one disagrees that if there is a strike, then Delta will be dead, not even the union has disagreed. This is a case where the fleas want to suck so much blood from the dog, that the dog will die.

Thanks Bequia...do you think the president would intervene and stop a strike as he did before for other airlines?

Also, if we book with a credit card and the pilots strike...and the airline shuts down...could we get a refund on the credit card?

You'll get a refund on your car. However, I could see the whole air travel industry flooded with Delta refugees trying to find seats on other carriers. For that matter, anyone who needs a flight could have a hard time finding one as all the other carriers will suddenly be swamped. Air travel prices would soar as a result.If Delta were to die in January, then anyone who subsequently has to book travel for the summer will spend a LOT more $ than if Delta was flying :(

Ok , I read the link. I have e ticket and need to change it to paper ticket, can I do that ? IF so how, do I just call the reservations desk and request a paper ticket and charge the extra fees to my credit card,(how much is that usually ?) can I do it online ? Last time I called the reservations desk at Delta/Song they acted like I was from outer space because I was questioning wheater or not our flight would be there because of the company restructuring, almost afraid to call again YIKES.

Cori

dsclark - your post giving the date the judge will give his decision and the earliest the pilots can strike made me a VERY HAPPY LADY!!! We fly on Delta 12/2 to our Glory cruise 12/3 and back home 12/10. I was getting a little worried about them striking close to when we sail!

READ THIS LINK: http://www.hasbrouck.org/articles/bankruptcy.html

If you have electronic tickets, consider going to the airline's ticket counter at an airport, or one of its city ticket offices, and paying to get your tickets converted to paper tickets. You have a much better chance of getting another airline to accept a paper ticket than of getting them to accept an electronic ticket, especially if the airline has shut down. Paper tickets are verifiable, but e-ticket receipts are easy to forge, and thus don't provide definite proof of payment, as the airlines themselves have said.

If you don't want to pay to have your e-tickets converted to paper tickets, or if paper tickets aren't available or cost more than you think the additional proof of purchase is worth, you may still be able to get a printout on airline ticket/boarding pass stock of the "passenger receipt" coupon of your e-ticket. (Some travellers need these for expense reimbursement and/or tax purposes, and there should be no charge for printing a "passenger receipt" coupon.) This isn't a ticket per se, but is much stronger evidence of having a ticket, and more likely to be useable on another airline, than an ordinary itinerary or confirmation notice.

If you have a major investment in a cruise, tour, business arrangements, etc. that you would lose if your flights were substantially delayed (for example, if you had to stand by for several days before space was available on another airline) consider limiting your losses by buying alternate tickets now on another airline that isn't bankrupt, while seats on alternate airlines are still available.

You can get paper tickets but Delta charges $35 for printing a paper ticket - may negate any savings you have by booking them.

Any savings will be negated if you cannot use your e-ticket. Think of it as an insurance policy. ;)

that although the striking airline is supposed to "cover you" on another airline, that they may not notify you and conceivably you could get to the airport and find that they covered you on a flight that left the day before? I've checked all airlines that fly out of Atlanta and all the others go thru ORD or DFW or even IAD taking 8-9 or more hours for what is a 2 hour flight to FLL on Delta!!

I check my Delta reservations every week to see if any more changes have been made (since bankruptcy forced them to consolidate some flights) so I might be prepared. As it stands, we could not get time off from work/school to take any other airline because of the flight time involved, and would stand to miss our cruise.

So, if the pilots are on strike, the ticket agents will still be working and can possibly help you, no?

I booked my air independently and my travel agent sort of laughed when I asked her if my flight were covered in the cruise care travel insurance on Celebrity. She said I'd have to fight it out with the airlines before submitting a claim to cruise care! Is there some other kind of insurance that covers both flight and cruise? The only time I have used cruise care was when I booked air/cruise with the cruiseline, and I know I was covered. When i read the small print of the insurance (two upcoming cruises and two different insurance policies) it appears to me that we are covered the day of travel period. Anyone?

that although the striking airline is supposed to "cover you" on another airline, that they may not notify you and conceivably you could get to the airport and find that they covered you on a flight that left the day before? I've checked all airlines that fly out of Atlanta and all the others go thru ORD or DFW or even IAD taking 8-9 or more hours for what is a 2 hour flight to FLL on Delta!!

I check my Delta reservations every week to see if any more changes have been made (since bankruptcy forced them to consolidate some flights) so I might be prepared. As it stands, we could not get time off from work/school to take any other airline because of the flight time involved, and would stand to miss our cruise.

So, if the pilots are on strike, the ticket agents will still be working and can possibly help you, no?

I booked my air independently and my travel agent sort of laughed when I asked her if my flight were covered in the cruise care travel insurance on Celebrity. She said I'd have to fight it out with the airlines before submitting a claim to cruise care! Is there some other kind of insurance that covers both flight and cruise? The only time I have used cruise care was when I booked air/cruise with the cruiseline, and I know I was covered. When i read the small print of the insurance (two upcoming cruises and two different insurance policies) it appears to me that we are covered the day of travel period. Anyone?

Your are correct-your flights are NOT coverered by Celebrity (or any cruiseline) insurance-no way shape or form.

You may be able to buy other insurance-you will have a lot of reading to do. Try insuremytrip.com. READ the fine print-all airlines that are currently in bankruptcy will be on every insurance companies "no coverage" list-IF the airline shuts down. However, some are still covering for strike, even if the airline is in bankruptcy. You must check the lists for no coverage-since there has been talk about the pilot's strike, there may be NO COVERAGE for Delta strikes.

I personally don't think the Delta pilots will strike-they know it is the death of their airline and they would all be out of jobs. However, Delta has a very large percentage of "older" pilots, who may just want early retirement and all the benefits that go with that early retirement. It really is a toss-up, but I would be prepared with as many alternatives as possible, even up to and including buying alternaate tickets. Good luck.

Thanks Bequia...do you think the president would intervene and stop a strike as he did before for other airlines?

Also, if we book with a credit card and the pilots strike...and the airline shuts down...could we get a refund on the credit card?

Your credit card question has a lot of IFS. IF you booked your tickets more than 60 days before you fly-in general, NO. These situation is usually handled on a case by case basis.

IF the airline shuts down, you become an unsecured creditor and the credit card company may or may not intervene. They would generally "eat" your tickets if they reimbursed you, as they would be in a long list of unsecured creditors, who will get little or nothing through bankruptcy court.

IF it is just a strike, you have a much better of recouping from your credit card company.

Make sure you have plan B.

I did some homework just now and my Delta ressies appear to be intact so far, but did check Orbitz for all airlines flying my itinerary and there are 2 others that still have a few seats left on comparable flight times, even if some have a stop. So I'll carry that info with me as we drive to the airport in case a strike has begun during the 2 hour journey! (the other 4 airlines took a gazillion hours, flying at least a thousand miles out of the way & still would not get me to the cruise on the same day!) I just want to thank Cruise Critic's members for all the help they so willingly give!!

And some people might consider a cross country drive instead of flying if a strike occurs! It wouldn't work for me because of time constraints on my upcoming short cruises, but for other cruises, it might. We've done it before and arrived a day early, visiting friends along the way.

We have miles tickets through Northwest on Delta for February to sail on the Sun. If the worst happens we are driving from Iowa to Fll. We will enjoy the drive. I can tell you that my travel agent said that they are not booking Delta any farther out that the holidays, and thats a stretch. If they don't settle this they may get hurt anyway. There are other airlines offering very competetive rates, maybe they smell blood in the water.

Just my thoughts but I am not letting airfare ruin a 10 day cruise!

Ok , so my last coarse of action is: I emailed my travel insurance company to find out exactly where I stand in this whole mess. I booked prior to Delta filing bankruptsy and added the airfare to my travel insurance policy, have the emails and credit card receipts , I listed both on my email inquiry. Now I wait to see what they say, I have tried several times to call Song/Delta but always get the telephone music merry go round. So I will see what happens here. Otherwise I just figure I may have to go ahead and book other flights and deal with this later. So who can you book with for refundable flights that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ?? Anybody know ? Or is it once you book and you pay ," thats all folks" :(

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

Cori

Ugh! I hate reading stuff like this, but I'm glad it's posted! We have a cruise booked for May 2006 solely based on the fact that our last Delta flight bumped us back several hours to the next flight, and gave us each $400 in airline vouchers. We were planning on getting the tickets December 8 when we will be in the city. They have to be redeemed at the ticket counter when booking. Funny...we book a cruise based on the vouchers, and we may lose use of the vouchers...

HI, just bumping this up to see if there is any new information on the Delta Strike, I haven't heard or seen anything. Anyone out there have any new info.
As posted earlier in the thread, Delta's case was due back in the bankruptcy court today (28 November). And, surprise, surprise, it is duly back there today. Keep watching the news, especially the online news.

I just booked my tickets to Panama City Florida on Delta today for my Christmas trip. I finally got it confirmed on Thanksgiving that I got Christmas Day off, so went to check the flights. Almost $700 Washington DC (IAD) to Panama City Florida! And this wasn't even for the times I wanted, those were even more $$. Yikes! I put an AA FF ticket on hold that got me to Pensacola, which is a 3 hr drive from Mom's house, and decided to see if the prices dropped a lot after Thanksgiving like they did last year. I guess they really boost the prices around Thanksgiving for booking Christmas travel hoping that a lot of people will get sentimental and start thinking about heading home for the holidays. And they can then collect top-dollar fares. Nice policy.

Well, lo and behold, I got the flights I wanted today for @ $465. I suspect they will drop some more but I really wanted to get the tickets booked and move on with my life. They tell me I can cancel the tickets w/in 24 hrs, so if the prices do change radically today based on those hearings I'm covered.

If Delta does go on strike I'm probably pretty much screwed, I guess it'll be Atlanta and a long drive for me.

Archived