Delta Pilot Strike

Baltorep

Someone please post some positive info!!! I have over 14 flights booked with Delta (my primary carrier) over the next few months, and on top of that I have over 250,000 miles with them!!!!! This is killing me!!!

Positive info? I don't think the hearings will end until this week. Then, the judge might come back monday with her decision.

After that, I think the union will have to give 30 days notice of a strike. So, at the very least, Delta will fly through the month of december. If they strike, it will likely occur sometime in January. So, Song will fly me to FL on 12/27, but on 1/7/06, we might be hitch hiking!

If notice of a strike is given, I'd expect Delta to use that time to create plans for liquidation. If a strike is called, or, if the judge should refuse to allow the pilot contract to be tossed, I'd also expect to see creditors run away from Delta.

Positive info? I don't think the hearings will end until this week. Then, the judge might come back monday with her decision.

After that, I think the union will have to give 30 days notice of a strike. So, at the very least, Delta will fly through the month of december. If they strike, it will likely occur sometime in January. So, Song will fly me to FL on 12/27, but on 1/7/06, we might be hitch hiking!

If notice of a strike is given, I'd expect Delta to use that time to create plans for liquidation. If a strike is called, or, if the judge should refuse to allow the pilot contract to be tossed, I'd also expect to see creditors run away from Delta.

Well the other thing to remember is, when's the last time a pilot union was *allowed* to strike? Haven't the last couple attempts been shot down by the White House ordering them to stay on the job? The current administration is very anti-labor so I would expect the Delta pilots to be ordered not to strike.

As posted earlier in the thread, Delta's case was due back in the bankruptcy court today (28 November). And, surprise, surprise, it is duly back there today. Keep watching the news, especially the online news.

Hi Globalizer, that is the reason I posted again , I have been watch news and reading newspaper including the Wall Street Journal, haven't seen anything yet regarding todays hearings. Hopeing for the best :) Thanks

Cori

Below is an update from MSBC on the Delta situation.

What happens if Delta goes on strike?

By John W. Schoen

Senior Producer

MSNBC

Last week's strike threat by Delta Airlines pilots has readers holding tickets on the airline wondering: when might it happen? And, if it does, will I still be able to get where I'm going?

Airline anxiety

There are two pieces of information I keep looking for in the media about (a possible Delta Airlines) strike and cannot seem to find:

1) If the judge rules against the pilots, when would the strike be expected to start...?

2) If you’re holding a Delta ticket and the pilots do strike, is Delta obligated to put you on other carriers if they can find a seat or are you out of luck?

As I have tickets on Delta for late November, I would appreciate any information you have regarding these questions.

John B. -- Raleigh, NC

You’re not alone. A lot of air travelers holding Delta tickets are asking the same questions.

At this writing, the judge presidi

ng over Delta’s bankruptcy reorganization has yet not ruled on last week's bid by the company to cancel the contract with its 6,000 pilots and cut their pay by $325 million -- on top of a $1 billion in wages they’ve already given up. On Friday, the company told the court it expects to lose $500 million over the next three months.

The pilots, meanwhile, have said the airline only needs $90 million in cuts to get back on a sound financial flight path, and they’ve threatened to strike if their contract is canceled. The bankruptcy court hearing continues this week, and some observers expect the judge to tell both sides to work out a compromise.

Keep in mind that Delta’s pilots have not set a strike date; so far, they've only threatened a walkout. And Delta’s management doesn’t think the strike would be legal. (Even if it isn’t, that doesn’t rule out a “sick-out” or a wildcat strike -- in which the pilots walk anyway.) So at this point, while the threat appears to be a bargaining ploy, both sides are playing a dangerous game of “chicken.” The company has said a pilot strike would be “murder-suicide” – likely grounding the carrier for good.

In the event of a strike, the airline's obligation may be limited to refunding your money. A lot depends on the legal question of whether a flight’s cancellation is “beyond the control” of the airline. (An illegal strike probably meets that definition.) You can check out Delta’s version of its liability on the airline's Web site.

But even if they are legally obligated to find you a seat, that may not be possible. Delta accounts for something like 17 percent of domestic seats. During a busy travel period, it's doubtful that Delta’s competitors could add planes fast enough to make up the difference.

Story continues below ↓ advertisement

If Delta flights are grounded, your success in finding an alternate seat will also depend on where you’re headed. The biggest bottlenecks would likely show up on routes headed in or out of one of Delta’s hubs in Atlanta (the biggest), Cincinnati, Dallas-Fort Worth and Salt Lake City.

And if Delta stops flying for good, expect to pay more for tickets on routes the airline flies. U.S. airlines have had mixed success raising fares to cover higher fuel costs. The loss of Delta’s seats would make those fare hikes much easier to make.

This is taken from Deltas website in regards to their responsibility to the passengers.

Liability for Delay or Cancellation

We will exercise reasonable efforts to carry you and your baggage according to our published schedules and the schedule reflected on your ticket, but published schedules, flight times, aircraft type, seat assignments, and similar details reflected in your ticket or Delta's published schedules are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Delta may substitute alternate carriers or aircraft, delay or cancel flights, change seat assignments, and alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket at any time.

If the change is due to circumstances beyond our control, we will have no liability to you other than to refund your ticket price. If the change is due to circumstances within our control, then we will transport you to your destination on our next available flight (or substitute alternative transportation at our discretion) and, depending upon the circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund and/or we may provide you with meals, lodging and/or ground transportation to accommodate you during the delay.

I just got my cruise docs yesterday (Dec 8) and found out that NCL booked us on Delta flights to Hawaii. This was all done through NCL, the air, cruise and insurance.

Should something happen, does NCL have any responsibility to assist with obtaining a new flight?

The only thing I've been able to find so far indicates that they may refund the amount we paid them for the air portion of the trip if something outside of their control happens to the flight.

Anybody have better info on this?

Remember what happened to Eastern Airlines. This is so similar. In regards to future flights, I would just watch the events very close over the next several weeks. If you can hold out, do it. But if you do buy make sure you get travel insurance to protect you if something should happen while you are away.

Good idea, but it will not work. Delta is excluded for financial default by most of the insurance carriers.

I just got my cruise docs yesterday (Dec 8) and found out that NCL booked us on Delta flights to Hawaii. This was all done through NCL, the air, cruise and insurance.

Should something happen, does NCL have any responsibility to assist with obtaining a new flight?

Check the wording in the contract. The answer is no.

Read the transportation liability section in the link below ...

http://www.ncl.com/more/terms.htm#transportation

Check the wording in the contract. The answer is no.

Read the transportation liability section in the link below ...

http://www.ncl.com/more/terms.htm#transportation

Actually, that section seems to refer to ground transportation to and from the port/airport/city/hotels/excursions. Not specifically to air.

There is a separate section under the air/sea program that states:

"If, due to any cause beyond NCL's control, NCL is unable to arrange air travel (including, for example, because of capacity controls placed upon us by airlines due to types of fares under which NCL books) or the air travel NCL arranges is unavailable or otherwise fails to materialize, NCL's sole liability will be limited to refunding the air add-on amount paid to NCL."

It still seems that for customer service reasons NLC would make some attempt to help their pax since they arranged the air and don't really give you any choice. But at least it appears that they will refund the amount paid for airfare if I get stuck making other arrangements on my own.

Looks like there is a tentative agreement with the pilots!

Here's the link:

Delta News: http://news.delta.com/article_displa...ticle_id=10003

CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/12/11...ots/index.html

I heard that on the local news this morning-I guess my friends and family are safe with their jobs for a few more months.

Archived