overbooked

debnjoe1438

Does anyone know if NCL ever overbooks the cruises and then has to turn folks who have paid for a guarantee away?

IF they overbooked (and I have no idea whatsoever about that), then what they'd probably do is what some other lines do: Start asking some confirmed passengers if they would accept a switch to another cruise, with some nice discount and or upgrade, etc.

We received one of these (not NCL), but the timing wasn't anything we could use, so we didn't switch.

Nowadays, we are more flexible with scheduling, so we might think more seriously about an offer like that if it was appealing.

Of course, for those with non-refundable air tix or such, those offers are less useful, and the same for those who can't get good flights to the alternate cruise location.

That "guarantee" is a contract, but one without specifics about precisely which cabin.

It is rare, but it does happen.

They don't per se "oversell" the cruise, but what can happen is that TAs can return less cabins then expected thus making the cruise oversold.

This happened to me...I was booked on a Canada/NE cruise on the Gem for September of 2014. I got a call from NCL in August and the rep informed me that the cruise was oversold and that they were looking for volunteers to give up their cruise. I was offered a 100% refund AND a credit equal to what I paid toward a future cruise. (All my money back and another cruise for free). I took the offer...happily. But I didn't have to.

Our first cruise on the Escape was oversold. It was windy escape was still brand-new and there was high interest in Cruzen on her. There were multiple reports on our role call that NCL were calling people asking if they were willing to give up the room. I don't recall what the exact compensation was, but there were several people on our road call who took the offers.

I've never heard of anyone with proper documentation and in good health being turned away at the pier.

If the ship is oversold, the cruise line will solve the problem before sailing day.

Guaranteed cabins really are guaranteed. Sometimes the cabin number isn't given until check in, but it will be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our September cruise is currently oversold and has been for over a month now. I was told that as cancellations occur they will open back up for sailing-most likely around final payment. I thought it quite odd for a cruise to sell out so far in advance but it's evidently becoming more common on popular cruises.

Typically cruises don't oversell, however they can.

As SeaShark mentioned, they do contact people and ask for "volunteers" to give up their space and reimburse accordingly (similar to when airlines overbook).

When they get to a certain "sell level", they waitlist the ship, not the same as oversold. Just the amount of cabins on hold or in deposit are at capacity (including TA courtesy holds, etc).

Edited by WanderlustJourney

It is rare, but it does happen.

They don't per se "oversell" the cruise, but what can happen is that TAs can return less cabins then expected thus making the cruise oversold.

This happened to me...I was booked on a Canada/NE cruise on the Gem for September of 2014. I got a call from NCL in August and the rep informed me that the cruise was oversold and that they were looking for volunteers to give up their cruise. I was offered a 100% refund AND a credit equal to what I paid toward a future cruise. (All my money back and another cruise for free). I took the offer...happily. But I didn't have to.

please put me on the list to get bumped. thanks