Cruise for the ports or for the ship?

scoutfinch72

DH turns 40 in October 2018, and his birthday coincides with our fall break. Since he directs the orchestra program at a school we need to stick to the school calendar. Galveston is a short, inexpensive, direct flight for us and we would certainly have enough Skymiles for 2 tickets again by then. And the Vista will be there, leaving on the 13th! Perfect, I thought. However, she's visiting Cozumel, Belize, and Mahogany Bay, the first two of which we visited on our first cruise back in December on the Valor.

However, DH told me while we were sailing that he really wants to try an Eastern Caribbean cruise next, specifically one that visits the ABC islands or St. Maarten. He lived in the Netherlands for 2 years, speaks fluent Dutch, and would love to see the Dutch influenced islands. The Conquest happens to be visiting Aruba and Curacao as well as Princess Cays and Grand Turk the week we would need to travel. It's pretty much the exact same layout as the Valor, with much the same as far as amenities, correct? I know they have very different decor.

I've tried to ask him questions about what he'd prefer in a theoretical fashion, since I'd like this to be a surprise, but I haven't been too successful. Comparing costs, the 8 day Conquest in a Lido balcony is $300 more than the 8 day Vista in the same category. I've never pulled off a surprise this big and it makes me nervous to spend so much not knowing what DH will really want! Any advice? I really want to try a new ship but I'm not the only consideration here.

Sounds like your husband wants to go to Southern (ABC islands).

Those are islands on my list , so that's what we are doing next. Taking the Vista in May 2018. We see 4 new ports Aruba, curaçao,LaRoma(?), and Grand Turk.

The Ports were more important than the ship.

If it were me, and as much as I really want to sail on the Vista, I'd pick the itinerary that was more exciting before the ship that was more exciting. Especially since he has already mentioned how much he wants to see some Dutch islands and y'all have already been to the other ports.

We loved both the Conquest and Valor and wouldn't hesitate to sail them again.

Some day I'll get on the Vista (or Horizon when it becomes available) but I have the luxury of waiting for them to be going to places I want to see and leaving from places I want to leave from. Or even not caring where it was going as long as it went at a time I could go.

SO, all else being equal, two ships are sailing and I am OK with the money for either one and the dates are when I can go - I'd go with itinerary. Vista will still be around for a long time and you'll get another shot at her.

I'd choose the ABC ports in a heartbeat, especially considering the fact that he lived in the Netherlands and speaks Dutch. He will love those former Dutch colony ports.

I have not been on either of those ships, but for me, the ports are always more important than the ship. The ship will be fine, but the ports are what will make this cruise memorable.

I would choose the Conquest for sure. We just went on the Magic to Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk - loved it! I liked having those sea days as well (we had 4 of them!). But it was neat seeing new islands. And it sounds like that's what he wants to see as well. So if you can afford the extra cost, I'd say do that one then!

I honestly don't care that much about the ships. And honestly, the ports are all nice to me. We usually go in the cold months here in Chicago, so it's nice to be anywhere warm! LOL! As long as there's a beach, sunshine, and some water, I'm good.

For me, it is a balance, the ships are very important and the port location lesser importance, but at the same time, I do not wish to keep sailing to Nassau. In this case I would choose the conquest for the ports if he wants to go there, I find that cruising for the newer ships usually disappoints me anyway. They are packing too much into their last two releases. I really dislike the lower Atrium on the Vista.

we choose both ship and ports when deciding.

also, if we are flying into a port, we prefer a longer cruise than a shorter cruise.

use cost per day per person for your comparisons to determine value.

cost of room, for how many people, plus taxes yeilds cost per day.

for example, we are on the Vista Nov 2017, cost using the above formula is $2905 for two people (room/taxes and port fees). this is for a 8 day cruise.

so, $2905 / 16 nights (2 people for 8 nights each) is $181.56 per day.

this is on the higher side of what i like to spend on a vacation for two but it's still less than Hawaii or flying to an island for 7-days vacation (club med, for example).

either way, choose a tri that'll be fun and will make memories.

don't listen to 95% of the garbage people post speaking negative of Vista or Carnival. people like to complain because they have nothing better to do in life. they'll never be happy people anyway.

Thank you so much for the candid input! It helps immensely and you have confirmed what I was thinking with regard to what DH would want.

One challenge with the 8 day itinerary sailing on a Saturday is that we would need to leave Friday, which gets a little tricky dealing with getting kids to school and then to their caregiver and an extra day off from work for DH. Clearly I have a LOT of time to work out those logistics. Flying from the Mountain Time zone means we are looking at early morning flights to FLL. Flying into MIA gives us more options and even a non-stop at 5pm on Friday.

also, if we are flying into a port, we prefer a longer cruise than a shorter cruise.

I feel the same way! It usually costs us about $350 on average to fly into the port cities when we cruise. We did it the first time, and did a 3-day cruise only because 2 other couples had never cruised before and were nervous about liking it. The next time, we all did a 7-day one! I'd never do anything less than 7 days, but that's for us.

Once you visit Curaçao and Aruba you will understand his desire to go there. It blew away all of the other ports we visited (for me and my husband anyways.) Those islands are breathtakingly beautiful and look like postcards. And the food, people, and places to see were equally amazing. And the Conquest is one of our favorite ships, you will like her. :)

Since the trip is a surprise for your husband I'd go with what is on his bucket list over the ship. You can sail on the Vista another time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto! I totally agree with SCGirl go for the bucket list! Whatever you decide I hope your hubby is totally surprised and that you both have an awesome cruise. Happy Sailing!:D

I've tried to ask him questions about what he'd prefer in a theoretical fashion, since I'd like this to be a surprise, but I haven't been too successful.

My tip: Don't ever tell him about the itinerary you DIDN'T choose - he'll never know what he's missing!

Our next cruise is ALL about the ports. We narrowed down some options and took a big family vote:

• Do you want the fancier ship with port option 1?
  • Or do you want the older, smaller ship with port option 2?

It was a unanimous vote for the ports.

My tip: Don't ever tell him about the itinerary you DIDN'T choose - he'll never know what he's missing!

Our next cruise is ALL about the ports. We narrowed down some options and took a big family vote:

•  
  • Do you want the fancier ship with port option 1?

• Or do you want the older, smaller ship with port option 2?

It was a unanimous vote for the ports.

Well, shoot! It's been freezing and snowing here all day and I'm not feeling well so when DH got home from work I said "it's so miserable out why don't we pretend we are planning another vacation. Would you pick the fancy new ship or some cool new ports?" His reply was "Well, we spent so much more time on the ship than in the ports, I think I'd pick the fancy new ship". [emoji15]. That is not what I expected! We did have some really short port days. In Costa Maya we didn't dock until after 2 and had to be back to the ship by 7. Belize we had from 9-4 and that was our longest. Cozumel we spent from 10-2:30 at Nachi Cocum.