Brisbane/ Koala sanctuary info please

We will be on NCL Star next month stopping in Brisbane. Does anyone know where the ship will dock and if it is close to the river ferries. It appears the koala sanctuary has a ferry stop. How often do the ferries run and is this doable...thanks!!:)

I don't have good news for you. The NCL Star will be docking at the Grain Terminal (container wharf) at Fishermans Island near the mouth of the Brisbane River. There are no ferries nearby.

It is most likely there will be a shuttle bus to take passengers to the centre of the city. This is a 45 minute + trip. You could go by taxi, but the shuttle would be much cheaper. Lone Pine Koala Santuary is further west than the centre of the city. There are four ways to get there

1. taxi. This would obviously be the fastest - probably 20-25 minutes.

2. public bus. You can research the bus route on the internet. My guess is that it would be close to 45 minutes by bus.

3. Miramar cruise boat that leaves from the centre of the city. This tiny boat does one trip per day to Lone Pine. This really is the "slow boat to .....". It is unlikely that the shuttle bus from the Grain Terminal would get you to the city in time to get on the Miramar. There is also the disadvantage that you are limited in the time you would have at Lone Pine and you have to leave when they are ready.

4. Rental car. The difficulty with this is that there are no rental car depots near the Grain Terminal. In addition, you may not be comfortable driving in a strange city.

It is well worth visiting Lone Pine. We took American friends there from a cruise and they loved it. You can buy lunch there - not too expensive. The public ferries (CityCat) do not go as far up the river as Lone Pine. They only go as far as Queensland University - a few kilometres before Lone Pine.

My recommendation is to take the ship's shuttle to the centre of the city, then go by taxi. :)

Edited by Aus Traveller

Greetings from Brisbane (5 mins drive away from Lone Pine, it's very close to my place). This is one of the few times I would heartily recommend a ship's tour over visiting an attraction independently as the cost of a shuttle to/from the Grain Terminal is usually around $25 (and there is no public transport alternative unfortunately). I am not sure how much the NCL tour to Lone Pine is but once you factor in the 'added value' of not having to pay for the shuttle and the convenience factor, the ship's tour is probably a pretty good deal. Lone Pine is great, by the way. I went back there for the first time in about 30 years recently and was surprised how much I enjoyed it given the animals aren't that unusual for me as an Aussie. Don't miss the sheep dog show, raptor free flight bird show and koala keeper talk which take place at certain times each day. It's worth planning your other activities around these things. Also the platypus enclosure which is a bit tucked away but easy to find on the map.

Greetings from Brisbane (5 mins drive away from Lone Pine, it's very close to my place). This is one of the few times I would heartily recommend a ship's tour over visiting an attraction independently as the cost of a shuttle to/from the Grain Terminal is usually around $25 (and there is no public transport alternative unfortunately). I am not sure how much the NCL tour to Lone Pine is but once you factor in the 'added value' of not having to pay for the shuttle and the convenience factor, the ship's tour is probably a pretty good deal. Lone Pine is great, by the way. I went back there for the first time in about 30 years recently and was surprised how much I enjoyed it given the animals aren't that unusual for me as an Aussie. Don't miss the sheep dog show, raptor free flight bird show and koala keeper talk which take place at certain times each day. It's worth planning your other activities around these things. Also the platypus enclosure which is a bit tucked away but easy to find on the map.

I agree with your comments, but one reason I was hesitant to recommend the ship's tour is the limited time that they might have at Lone Pine. For the same price they could probably get a taxi for two people from the Grain Terminal and back. :D