HAL Zuiderdam or Princess Regal for Baltic/Scandinavia Cruise

funji1

Almost identical itineraries and prices are close ($200 more on HAL per couple) HAL offers 3 overnights...Copenhagen, Stockholm and St. Petersburg. Princess overnights only in St. Petersburg.

In our early 70's, active, experienced cruisers. Comparing food, service and overall ship amenities, which would you chose.

Thanks in advance !

Can't go wrong with either. If it were me, I'd take HAL's Zuiderdam for a couple of reasons: three overnights and the Zuiderdam being a much smaller ship, easier disembarkation and re-embarkation. This is a very port-intensive cruise so entertainment isn't as important. Cabin comfort and itinerary would be my priority. I like how you can order a full, hot breakfast through room service on HAL to start your day.

I have done princess and Holland. I would do Holland. They understand seniors and everyone is very pleasant and happy. People on Holland live cruising. The Zuiderdam has great new entertainment with the Lincoln Center and pop music, and Blues club, I enjoy there cooking classes and afternoon Teas,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Almost identical itineraries and prices are close ($200 more on HAL per couple) HAL offers 3 overnights...Copenhagen, Stockholm and St. Petersburg. Princess overnights only in St. Petersburg.

In our early 70's, active, experienced cruisers. Comparing food, service and overall ship amenities, which would you chose.

Thanks in advance !

We are Princess loyalist, but have recently been on Zuiderdam and really enjoyed it.

I agree with Pam, equal ships, and would do HAL because of the three overnights. And those are there great cities to overnight in.

We generally prefer princess but I'd definitely take Hal under those circumstances. 2 years ago Hal would let you order a full dinner off the regular menu as room service which could come in handy on the baltics since it is a really exhausting itinerary. Most of the cities are easy to diy, but in St. Petersburg if you can afford it you should consider a private tour for just your family. That will maximize your ability to see as much as possible in St. Petersburg. Honestly the ship doesn't matter as much as the itinerary in the baltics

Edited by kitkat343

Unless I am mistaken, in Stockholm the Regal Princess is shown as docking at Nynasham, which is quite a distance from Stockholm. When we were on HAL the ship docked right downtown, a short walk or water shuttle right into to Old Town. We had an aft suite and from the balcony we could see the whole magically beautiful city of Stockholm lit up at night. Our two days were filled with walking and sightseeing on our own in this wonderful city.

Also, if the Regal is in fact using the port o Nynasham, the ship will not sail in via the Stockholm Archipelago, which is one of the most beautiful and scenic cruising experiences we have had. HAL had an excellent port lecturer aboard, and from the Crows Nest (a lounge with huge picture windows almost 360 degree view looking out forward) he narrated the various sights coming into the ports. The Regal does not have a viewing area such as the Crows Nest.

I love the Regal and Royal and my Princess Elite benefits are hard to pass up and choose another line, but in this case as we did two years ago, no contest!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Probably the only time I've would ever choose HAL over Princess. Mainly because of the 3 overnights. However, are you losing ports in order to do the overnights? That might change my mind. Are you sailing from Copenhagen? We did, so we flew in two days early.

The more sedate quality of HAL won't matter because you'll be ready for bed after wonderful exhausting days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have about 470 days on HAL and a few hundred on Princess and have cruised on both the Regal and Zuiderdam within the past 6 months. There are pros and cons to each ship/line. One major difference are the sizes of the two ships. For passengers in their 70s, HAL is a good option as you will likely be close to the median age of fellow passengers. One advantage of Princess are the expansive hours of their food service and the 24 hour International Cafe (we love this small venue). But HAL has a problem with their main theater....in that its just too small for the size ship. For those that dine early...they are going to find their show often totally full with no good seats unless you make a point of getting to the theater quite early. Things often get so bad with the main shows that the CD will add a 3rd show to try and resolve crowding. Because of this common problem Princess has actually reduced the length of their main production shows to about 35 min.

A big plus for the Regal Princess is their very extensive Lido Buffet which is laid out in a way to avoid having long lines. HAL has tried to adopt something similar with its new Market Place Concept...but its just not done as well as what we experienced on Princess. Food in the MDR is hit and miss on both vessels.

Hank

Can't go wrong with either. If it were me, I'd take HAL's Zuiderdam for a couple of reasons: three overnights and the Zuiderdam being a much smaller ship, easier disembarkation and re-embarkation. This is a very port-intensive cruise so entertainment isn't as important. Cabin comfort and itinerary would be my priority. I like how you can order a full, hot breakfast through room service on HAL to start your day.

In agreement for the exact reasons listed here.

I agree, smaller ships equals shorter lines getting on and off ship in ports, and three overnights...kind of seals it. On a port intensive cruise, it is all about the ports and not so much about the ship, except few passengers is better.

HAL is a good option as you will likely be close to the median age of fellow passengers.

Hank

Hank, I would have said the same thing about age groups but we were on the Eurodam Baltic cruise July of 2015 and then cruised the British Isles on the Caribbean Princess the following July 2016 We found the Eurodam passengers skewed much younger than the CP and my then 11 year son had way more companions his age. On the Caribbean Princess last summer not only were there hardly any children my son's age, my wife and I were some of the youngest people on board. We were surprised by the demographics on both cruises as we were expecting the opposite. I wonder if it depends on the itinerary and departure port.

Lots of great advice here. Regardless of what line you choose. Buy some Good walking shoes, lol. Lots of walking, esp in ST Petersburg. Look at private tours as apposed to the ships tours. We choose 'Alla Tours' in All ports. Saved a 'Bunch' and the groups were MUCH smaller groups - The way to go

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app