Mobility Scooters

luvbluseas

Has anyone ever had any problems taking their personal Mobility Scooter aboard a ship? In the past we have always rented a scooter for my DH but he now owns a new Pride, Victory 10, so we wish to take it rather than rent. He would want to drive it aboard. Do any of you think that this would be a problem?:confused:

I have a mobility scooter, and I have taken it and ridden it onto the ship, (Celebrity & Royal) and kept it in an ordinary cabin without any problems. the ship has been notified before we travel that I am bringing it, and I've also been able to use their transfer bus from the ship to airport with it too, just let them know you have it.

I also have a friend who has been using her's onboard cruises a lot longer then I have. So there is no problem with the cruise lines mentioned

Margaret

Ps My friend has also travelled with MSC and hasn't had a problem either

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I took mine for the first time in October. The only problem I had was riding it up the ramps. It had to be pushed. This time (Feb) my husband will push it up. I found that getting on and off the ship I had someone from the ship push it up and down as it would get caught up at the top of the ramp. Also, getting in and out of the cabin was difficult. I would push it in and out. I'm not sure how it will be in Feb. as we are in a different cabin and across from our room there is another room so there is a little more room to get in and out. The last cruise we had the stewards closet was right across from us so we didn't have the extra door space.

tigercat

Carnival says all scooters MUST fit in your cabin. The problem is this rarely happens. My husband has mobility issues and uses a walker. The people who leave the scooters in the hallway make it extremely difficult for him to get around. I wish people would listen and obey the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a Pride GoGo Elite Traveller Plus Mobility Scooter. I will be taking it on the Carnival Pride in March. We usually book a standard balcony, but this time we decided on an extended balcony because the balcony we usually get was booked. I had no trouble at all.

I don't need an accessible cabin yet, as I can get around in the cabin with my cane.

I always drive up the ramp on the scooter. I try to stay right or left in case folks want to pass. DH is right behind in case he would need to push. Don't forget that if you push the scooter you need to change to manual. I have a lever on the Pride that you push forward or backward to change to manual.

I had a scooter on carnival and it didn't fit in the cabin. I had no problem leaving it near the elevator area around the corner. The one prob was that carnival has NO real plugs in the halls for charging. They are all those round industrial plugs. I had to get guest services to charge it for me. I went everywhere trying to find a plug! My friend has had one on other cruise lines and they had real plugs. I would think that there must be an adapter you could get to use the carnival plugs.

Wow, that's really something that you could leave it near the elevator area. I've taken my scooter on the Carnival Pride a number of times, and it always fit into the standard balcony cabin. We only charged it in the cabin once in all of the times I've taken it, as it kept a charge throughout all of the cruises. I've always been cautioned by the cabin steward that the scooter must be kept in the cabin when not in use, especially for safety reasons, in case of an emergency.

My GoGo Pride scooter comes apart. I try to use my walker on the ship unless I am going from front to back and back again. I use it to leave the ship at any of the ports. When I take the seat off it folds up small enough to fit under the bed.

I did have trouble with it going up the steep ramp though. Trying to get an accessable cabin is hard and we usually book almost a year out.

tigercat

My husband brings his own. Make sure to get a modified cabin which will hold the scooter. Carnival cruise has you get in touch with the special needs department at sea and you fill out a form about the mobility scooter you are bringing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Edited by chance2828

I took mine for the first time in October. The only problem I had was riding it up the ramps. It had to be pushed. This time (Feb) my husband will push it up. I found that getting on and off the ship I had someone from the ship push it up and down as it would get caught up at the top of the ramp. Also, getting in and out of the cabin was difficult. I would push it in and out. I'm not sure how it will be in Feb. as we are in a different cabin and across from our room there is another room so there is a little more room to get in and out. The last cruise we had the stewards closet was right across from us so we didn't have the extra door space.

tigercat

This should not happen if the scooter is the appropriate size and fully charged (really important - less charge means less power) for the rider - sometimes we do not realize how much baggage we are carrying in tote bags on the scooter if we are close to the weight limit. I have a Pride Victory and have no problem with the ramps. Sometimes I am carrying on the floor of the scooter all the sodas for our whole group - those can weigh a lot!

Edited by isaiahsnana

I had a scooter on carnival and it didn't fit in the cabin. I had no problem leaving it near the elevator area around the corner. The one prob was that carnival has NO real plugs in the halls for charging. They are all those round industrial plugs. I had to get guest services to charge it for me. I went everywhere trying to find a plug! My friend has had one on other cruise lines and they had real plugs. I would think that there must be an adapter you could get to use the carnival plugs.

I have always found regular plugs in the hall near the shops and near the doors in the main foyer - I always find one near a card table so I can play and charge - but I always get a handicapped cabin so it can fit in the room at night - sometimes I am tired at night though and forget to plug it in! Be ware of using the European adapters to utilize the alternative plugs, I ruined a battery one time using one on the Magic the final evening and my son had to push my scooter off the ship!

I would like to thank all of you for your responses. We are going to take it with us. We were not able to get an accessible stateroom and have some worries about it fitting into the cabin. But we will work it out. Thank you again. We will go with a smile and everything will be good :)

You will enjoy having your own scooter instead of waiting for a wheelchair to get on the ship. I took my electric wheelchair our last cruise and it was so easy getting on the ship. The only issue was waiting for the elevator to board. There were a lot of people trying to get on the elevators who could have used the stairs. Although I understand that you can't always tell by looking, I don't believe there were that many people with mobility issues.

It will be great! Have a wonderful cruise!

I have cruised 2 times with my own personal scooter. I have taken it on the Elation and the Dream and we are now booked on the Vista. We always book a modified room and there is plenty of room for the three of us plus the scooter. I have a go-go elite traveler that is a 3-wheeler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever had any problems taking their personal Mobility Scooter aboard a ship? In the past we have always rented a scooter for my DH but he now owns a new Pride, Victory 10, so we wish to take it rather than rent. He would want to drive it aboard. Do any of you think that this would be a problem?:confused:

No problem lots of people do it.

Carnival says all scooters MUST fit in your cabin. The problem is this rarely happens. My husband has mobility issues and uses a walker. The people who leave the scooters in the hallway make it extremely difficult for him to get around. I wish people would listen and obey the rules.

More important, I wish Carnival would enforce the rules on those who fail to obey the rules.

Edited by Computer Nerd

That's because it's not supposed to be charging in the hallway. It is your responsibility to ensure you scooter will fit through your cabin doorway and if it doesn't, rent one that does.

I would like to thank all of you for your responses. We are going to take it with us. We were not able to get an accessible stateroom and have some worries about it fitting into the cabin. But we will work it out. Thank you again. We will go with a smile and everything will be good :)

Have you called Special Needs about the accessible cabin? Asking as it seems some people manage to book those (especially the 4J's) who do not need them as they "like the extra room". I know last year when I booked the Bloggers 10 I was told nothing available, then caled Special Needs and lo, after just a few minutes a 4J was available. I do know they are suppose to move someone not needing the accessible is another guest needs it. What surprises me is I get the reservation and within hours receive a questioneer to be filled out showing scooter size, etc - which I return within 30 minutes. Seems to me without that form there is no reason to leave someone in an accessible cabin if another person needs and qualifies for it.

Have you called Special Needs about the accessible cabin? Asking as it seems some people manage to book those (especially the 4J's) who do not need them as they "like the extra room". I know last year when I booked the Bloggers 10 I was told nothing available, then caled Special Needs and lo, after just a few minutes a 4J was available. I do know they are suppose to move someone not needing the accessible is another guest needs it. What surprises me is I get the reservation and within hours receive a questioneer to be filled out showing scooter size, etc - which I return within 30 minutes. Seems to me without that form there is no reason to leave someone in an accessible cabin if another person needs and qualifies for it.

They put people into them because those cabins may sail empty otherwise. I was put into an HC cabin once on a GTY reservation. On my last cruise, my friends requested a 4J next to mine which happened to be a an HC cabin. They were told they could be moved but it seems no one requested an HC cabin so they stayed in it. While the cabin may be larger the beds couple not be put together so at least that cabin has it's down side as well.