OZ/NZ Tipping? Taking bottled water onboard

Hi just a couple of quick questions. I'm aware that the daily gratituties are built into the cruise cost for Australia and NZ but I wondered about things like tipping for baggage handlers at embarkation in Melbourne, and giving a cash tip to room steward at end of cruise?

Also.... I've read so much about cruise ship water tasting really bad and heaps of people seem to buy bottled water and take it onboard. Is that a good idea, and can we do that for Princess cruises downunder?

Edited by FunforGin

You don't have to tip baggage handlers. If you wish you can give your room steward a small tip at the end of the cruise. They are on much higher wages than stewards working on ships where tips are obligatory so tips are not required. It is totally up to you.

The water on the ship is quite OK. It would be purer than you get in your tap at home and probably as pure as bottled water. We have been cruising since 1983 and have always drunk the water from the bathroom handbasin. We take water bottles with us to fill for port days. Some people buy bottled water, but I think they have fallen for one of the biggest scams of the present day. Just my opinion. The water served in the dining room is 'ship tap water'.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Tipping extra to the auto gratuities (included in the fare) is entirely up to the individual.

I like the water in the bottles as they are more convenient when wandering around the ship. I normally have a drink's package though.