Vancouver pier/hotel question

Parrothead234

I'll be on the Noordam for the April 30 cruise. I'm thinking about booking my own hotel (versus booking through HAL) the day before, but does anyone have suggestions for hotels that provide transportation to the pier? Or any other suggestion on how to get to the pier as stress-free as possible?

I'll be on the Noordam for the April 30 cruise. I'm thinking about booking my own hotel (versus booking through HAL) the day before, but does anyone have suggestions for hotels that provide transportation to the pier? Or any other suggestion on how to get to the pier as stress-free as possible?

Book the hotel right at the pier ... Pan Pacific hotel at Canada Place.

Another vote for Pan Pacific.

You can send your luggage down to the ship from your room. So convenient! Our bellman was funny--he asked us to verify that we had our tickets and passports in hand and NOT in the bags to be checked through, because the next time we'd have access to the bags would be in our cabin.

An easy alternative to the Pan Pacific is the Fairmont Waterfront across the street.

It's not only a fairly narrow street, making it an easy walk, there's also an underground walkway that's handy in the rain. The Waterfront will also collect your luggage and send it to your ship cabin.

I've stayed in both, and would be happy to stay in either again.

At least have breakfast in the soaring Pan Pacific atrium and outdoor patio where you can look right directly across to your ship, only a little distance away.

Watch out for the "harbor view" rooms at premium rates at the Fairmount, because we got to watch the Coral Pincess come in that departure morning instead of the Zuiderdam which was docked on the other side and hidden from our "premium priced" view.

The Canada One metro also line makes easy access to the Canada Place dock area, from anywhere along its route from the airport if you want some less expensive options. But you will need to roll your luggage a bit.

Edited by OlsSalt

An easy alternative to the Pan Pacific is the Fairmont Waterfront across the street.

It's not only a fairly narrow street, making it an easy walk, there's also an underground walkway that's handy in the rain. The Waterfront will also collect your luggage and send it to your ship cabin.

I've stayed in both, and would be happy to stay in either again.

Thanks for posting this. I thought Pan Pacific was the only one offering the luggage service. Good to know there are choices.

Pan Pacific for us, too. A little on the expensive side, but not for Vancouver. The beds are delightful! Get an ocean view and watch your ship arrive in the morning. The buffet breakfast is lovely. They will transfer your luggage to the ship for you, as well.

I'm cheap. And solo. I wanted a much cheaper option for a hotel, but I have a great transportation option.

I was there several days early. On the morning of embarkation, I booked a tour of north shore-- they met me at the hotel with two vans. One for luggage and one for me. I went off on my trip to grouse mountain and the suspension bridge, while my luggage was taken directly to the ship. It was in my room when I boarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A handful of 4*+ boutique hotels have a 'free' car service, and the Hampton Inn has a 'free' shuttle. TANSTAAFL - if you compare hotels of similar standard without such a 'free' service, they're generally more than enough cheaper to pay for your cab ride... which is rarely much over $10 from any downtown hotel. Plus you can then schedule a ride whenever you want, as opposed to having to work around the other folks who also want to use the one shuttle or towncar...

Unlike the ports in your part of the world OP, ours is right in the heart of downtown - so literally any downtown hotel is cheap and easy to get there from. Heck, if you can trundle your bags along a level sidewalk for a mile, almost every downtown hotel is walking distance from the pier!

Since you're still planning, the best advice I can give is to fly in as early as your time off work allows. There's more stuff to see here than all Alaskan ports combined - a week ahead is not too early to arrive in Vancouver. With our dollar so weak, you'll find us a relative bargain even if it's pricey by Canadian standards!

@Parrothead234: April 30th cruise? OK... here's some suggestions for the night of the 29th in USD from booking.com....

• $71 Empire Landmark
  • $101 Days Inn » 3 blocks from cruise terminal.... check online reviews for potential issues
  • $134 Blue Horizon » a forum fav for budget travelers
  • $150 Holiday Inn Vancouver Downtown
  • $162 Delta » 5 blocks away from pier with suites!
  • $164 Carmana Plaza
  • $183 Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
  • $188 Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront » 5 blocks away
  • $202 Hampton Inn » fav for Hilton point collectors
  • $217 Hyatt
  • $224 Sheraton Wall Center
  • $224 Sutton Place
  • $236 Vancouver Marriot Pinnacle
  • $246 Westin Grand
  • $254 Westin Bayshore
  • $267 Shangri-La
  • $274 Fairmont Waterfront » you are across from the cruise terminal
  • $299 Rosewood Georgia
  • $312 Pan Pacific » you get to sleep above the cruise terminal
  • $338 Four Seasons
  • $401 Fairmont Pacific Rim

Thoughts....

• My vote goes to the Delta.... you can catch a cab or wheel your luggage downhill to the cruise terminal while laughing at the savings. Otherwise... consider spending a few extra days at your bonus port.
  • The reality is Vancouver has lots of hotels near the cruise terminal at every budget level. Some less than a 10 minute walk. Otherwise the cab ride is under $10 to the cruise terminal..... easily covered by the money you saved being away from the cruise terminal.
  • Fairmont Pacific Rim and Fairmont Waterfront offer luggage transfer with the Pan Pacific. Personally, I prefer to bring my own bags to avoid being bulk transferred to the wrong boat.

Edited by xlxo