Why???

Cappers

Now I know this might sound daft but why are Oriana cruises so much more expensive than the other ships? I've just seen a 15 night one that is £5,499 per person!! That is outrageous :eek: we've been thinking we'd like to try her,,or Oceania but not at that price.

Now I know this might sound daft but why are Oriana cruises so much more expensive than the other ships? I've just seen a 15 night one that is £5,499 per person!! That is outrageous :eek: we've been thinking we'd like to try her,,or Oceania but not at that price.

Supply and demand.

Were you looking at a balcony? Remember there is only one deck on Oriana with them

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Which cruise and what type of cabin is that for? DaiB is right about Balcony cabins...there is only one deck of balcony cabins, apart from a few at the aft on one other deck and for "warmer climes" cruises especially they are in high demand. She is also a smaller adult only ship and has always been popular , so is not a ship that often has much in the way of last minute bargains. But i see there is a 19 night one on offer at the moment, in June, for £3869, balcony....thats not a bad price...

She also can get into ports that the larger ships cant, so has some interesting itineraries.

Edited by Mysticalmother

Hi Cappers, we have booked Oriana for August, one week round Ireland for £854 each, outside cabin on F deck, which we thought was quite good :)

Oooohhh hello Linda :D I can't remember exactly which cruise I was looking at now cos I've looked at so many in my search for something interesting! That's a good price for the one you've booked. I doubt we'll be sailing on oriana anytime soon. A chap I know at work keeps telling me to go princess or Cunard,,princess yes definately like to try but don't think I'd like Cunard,,couldn't stand the snobbery I hear so much about.

Oooohhh hello Linda :D I can't remember exactly which cruise I was looking at now cos I've looked at so many in my search for something interesting! That's a good price for the one you've booked. I doubt we'll be sailing on oriana anytime soon. A chap I know at work keeps telling me to go princess or Cunard,,princess yes definately like to try but don't think I'd like Cunard,,couldn't stand the snobbery I hear so much about.

Yes, we don't fancy Cunard either. Apparently there are some places you can only go if you are booked in the more expensive cabins, lol. Still living in the 19th century by the looks of it! I can recommend Princess though - very nice ships and fairly reasonable drink prices. Entertainment good too.

I agree with you Cappers, prices on both Oriana and Aurora are way too high for 2 rather aging old ladies.

We would like to try them just to see what all the hype is about, but as we need an accessible cabin and both ships have significantly inferior facilities to the 3 newest ships then I doubt we will be tempted until their prices are much lower.

Yes, we don't fancy Cunard either. Apparently there are some places you can only go if you are booked in the more expensive cabins, lol. Still living in the 19th century by the looks of it! I can recommend Princess though - very nice ships and fairly reasonable drink prices. Entertainment good too.

Don't be put off Cunard ships ... have sailed both Princess and Cunard and love them both.

Passengers booked in grill suites have their own sunbathing area and dining room but that's just a perk of buying a suite.

On P&O and Princess if you want to eat in speciality restaurants and fine dining you pay a charge and it's exclusive .. no real difference. Even afternoon tea on Britannia can be an exclusive affair if you wish at an extra charge. Cunard you pay up front and select a suite. The others you pay as you go. Celebrity have aqua cabins with exclusive use of Blu restaurant. On Princess suite passengers have exclusive use of Sabatinis for breakfast.

You have the choice and to some it's worth the extra and not to others.

... also Princess and P&O have exclusive sunbathing areas .. the Retreat and The Sanctuary again on a pay as you go basis. Just how you prefer to pay up front or once onboard.

............and suite passengers on P&O can have breakfast in Epicurean, as well as their boarding, tendering and disembarkation perks.

Edited by terrierjohn

Yes we too were looking at Oriana and we thought that the price that came up for a balcony cabin must have been for both of us, no it was price each. I have friends who love Oriana and book an outside cabin near the back of the ship and they just pop out to the open deck for sunbathing etc.

But we love a balcony so don't think I can justify the cost on Oriana.:mad:

Aurora, Oriana and Adonia are more expensive due to the economies of scale for the bigger ships, and also because of the popularity of these smaller ones - supply and demand. I am currently on the Aurora World cruise and the ship is full. Some of us like the intimacy and traditional features of the older ships in the fleet.

............and suite passengers on P&O can have breakfast in Epicurean, as well as their boarding, tendering and disembarkation perks.

And now extended to all ships, and very nice it is.

:) :)

Except no epicurean on Oceana ;)

But you still have a dining room to go to for breakfast as we did 3 weeks ago. :)