Adventure of the Seas post "dry-dock" review 1/14/17

khm1

In OSJ it is great to tour at least one of the forts. It is also fun to just stroll around, eat at fabulous restaurants, or go shopping. You will find plenty to do!

Thanks!! That's our plan just wander downtown a bit and see what looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for doing this review. We will be sailing on her February 25th. Did you by any chance take pictures of the menus? Was curious if they are the old or new ones.

Sent from my SGH-T399N using Forums mobile app

I have sailed on the Adventure 3 times in the last 11 months. The menus seemed to be the same as the last 2 times. Sorry, I did not copy or photograph the menus.

Those slides were a LOT of fun! I even got air at the drop on the blue one I was going so fast :D

I have a few Puerto Rican friends who we met up with at La Placita de Sancture the night before we boarded - lots of fun and a very different vibe than most American nightlife; I highly recommend it!

Did you dance or at least check out the nightclub for dancing? Since they got rid of the disco I had heard the late night activity was moved to Viking Crown lounge. Just wonder if it is still busy late and if the move works?

I was on the ship the week before OP and went to the club every night. I LOVED Jester's and when I found out they turned it into Chops I was very sad but the Viking Crown was still bumping. I'd say that the dance floor is bigger in Viking Crown and it's easier to hold a conversation (IMO) than in Jester's but I still prefer it over Viking Crown/Blue Moon. There definitely were slow nights and packed nights, which obviously also depends on the fellow guests. Lots of latin music played by the DJ even though I didn't think the Puerto Rican population on the ship was that high. And if they're still there when you go, Artur and Melchor in the Blue Moon are top notch. Artur also flairs if you think that's fun to watch :)

Sorry, OP! It's all yours.

Did you dance or at least check out the nightclub for dancing? Since they got rid of the disco I had heard the late night activity was moved to Viking Crown lounge. Just wonder if it is still busy late and if the move works?

No one wants to see ME dance! LOL! Traveling with my 9 YO DD did not lend to much nightlife. I did not check out any of the nightlife activities. Sorry.

Overall observations about Adventure:

Food

This is such a subjective topic. I feel that the overall quality of RCL food has gone down over the last several years. It was OK. Some things I ordered were good, some not as much. None of it was bad, IMO. I don't cruise for the food. I am much more interested in the ports of call and the ship itself.

Windjammer food was just okay. We ate every morning there, about half the days for lunch, and one dinner. I was more impressed with the dinner there than our other meals. We went on Aruba night (Thursday) and it was an American theme. There was no omelette station for breakfast until our first sea day, Tuesday. It was also not available on debarkation day. The food laid out for breakfast was pretty much the same every day.

Main dining room is as described above. We had My Time dining and had reservations for 6:45 every night except the first night due to muster and sail-away. We ate at 6:30 that night.

I did not take photos of any of the menus. It was pretty much the same as last time I was on Adventure in July of '16. We did not eat at Giovanni's either.

The service in both the MDR and the Windjammer was wonderful. The staff on board was uniformly efficient and courteous.

Ship Appearance

Despite the altered dry-dock, the ship seems to be in good shape. The public areas are well maintained. I saw people cleaning constantly. The Promenade is unchanged other than the addition of the Freestyle Coke machines.

The biggest changes occurred on the pool deck with the addition of Splash Away Bay, and Deck12-13 aft with the addition of the water slides and Flowrider. We are water loving, adventurous people and we had a fabulous time at this area of the ship. We spent a large portion of our two sea days hanging out near the flow-rider. It is so much fun!

There was a mini golf prior to the renovation, but the new course is a bit smaller. It is two levels, deck 12 and 13. I didn't play it, but DH did and it took about 15 minutes. There is a cool metal device that takes the ball from the upper level to the lower level. I watched a few people get their ball stuck in it though.

There are some new chairs around the new Splash Away Bay, but the others aare the old ones. The chairs and pads in the Solarium are unchanged.

Entertainment

The choices were ho-hum IMO. We only went to one show: the Hypnotist comedian. Don't ask. You just have to go and see for yourself! It was pretty good. I did not see any of the production shows or the ice show since I have seen them already on previous, recent Adventure cruises.

Cabins

This is the most obvious area that needs updating. As far as I could tell, none of the cabins have been updated. The carpet is old, furniture old and stained (at least in our cabin), and the cabinetry is well worn. The mattresses are VERY HARD. Even my DH thought so, and he likes a firm bed. I took aboard my Klymit inflatable camping mattress and put it under the mattress pad. Try Amazon if you are interested in this. It improved things greatly for me. I was able to sleep comfortably for the entire cruise. None of these greatly impacted my enjoyment of our trip. However, an upgrade to the cabins is badly needed, IMO.

More to come, stay tuned!

Interesting I love the review. Just curious how many freestyle coke machines are on this ship. I didn't think the adventure of the seas was getting any of them

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad you asked, as I think this is the first Voyager class with them. I'm guessing two in the Windjammer and two in the Promenade.

Photo of Chops (formerly Jesters) during last week's sailing:

8357ded29575fa8897969590ae5c47be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any word of an opening date? I still have 93 days to wait, hoping for my traditional anniversary dinner in CHops.

Any word of an opening date? I still have 93 days to wait, hoping for my traditional anniversary dinner in CHops.

I have heard that it will open sometime in March. Try going on your cruise planner and see what dining options are available.

Onboard now, saw 2 in the windjammer and one on the promenade. Could be more ?

There are only 4 Coke Freestyle machines available to passengers on Adventure. There are two in the Windjammer and two in the Promenade.

Really enjoying your review. I am really looking at one day doing this cruise out of San Juan as I love it there. So glad there is now a flowrider and slides. My DH and kids are Oasis class snobs and are not sure they would like a small ship. Hoping this sways them the other way.

Thank you!

Barbara

Thank you so much for the review and pictures. This is awesome! Well done!

We will be on Adventure in a couple of weeks and are really looking forward to it. I don't drink but I did get the soda package and am looking forward to using the new freestyle machines.

Anyway, thanks again for the excellent review and update on the ship, post refurbishment. This is by far the best review/pictures that I've seen on this ship since the refurb.

Thank you so much for the review and pictures. This is awesome! Well done!

We will be on Adventure in a couple of weeks and are really looking forward to it. I don't drink but I did get the soda package and am looking forward to using the new freestyle machines.

Anyway, thanks again for the excellent review and update on the ship, post refurbishment. This is by far the best review/pictures that I've seen on this ship since the refurb.

Thanks! Just paying it forward. I have been helped tremendously by posters on this forum over the years.

On with my review!

As I mentioned before, we had corner aft cabin 7688. The cabin is in need of an update, but we were very fortunate to book this cabin. It is a regular E sized balcony cabin, but has an enormous balcony with aft and port side views.

3e47f11d34bb0c460de61276eeb1c921.jpg

Day 1 info

Muster drill is at 5:45. There is another muster for late arrivals at 8:15.

The only show was at 10:30. It was comedian Mike Pace. We didn't go so I can't give an opinion about it.

We had dinner in the MDR at 6:30. We managed to sneak in 1/2 hour in the arcade with the kids since it was free family arcade from 8-9.. We then went to the helipad to watch sail away at 8:30. I love sail away in SJ. The views, even in the dark, are spectacular! My photos did not turn out well. It was extremely windy in SJ both Friday and Saturday. We didn't last long on the helipad once we got out to sea. I thought I was going to blow overboard!

We were pretty tired. We went to bed fairly early so that we could be ready for St. Thomas, our first port of call!