Adventure of the Seas post "dry-dock" review 1/14/17

khm1

Day 7 final sea day and debarkation

Sea day 2 was mostly a repeat of sea day one. We spent a lot of time aft at the FlowRider and slides. I had to complete the dreaded task of packing that last day. I got it all done before lunch. I wanted to get it out of the way so that I could enjoy the final moments of my cruise. Again I skipped the loud craziness of the pool deck. Instead I retreated to my balcony to nap and read. I LOVE those wake views!

b887a813562886eade8c7e0a6e4abd37.jpg

I visited NextCruise on our final night. I ended up booking a Celebrity ship for winter of '19. It is for the Summit sailing from SJ. I have never sailed Celebrity before. We get Elite status on Celebrity for being Diamond on RCL. This gives us some benefits that I am not entirely familiar with yet. I feel that I got a good deal since I ended up with $300 on-board credit and free internet. I had a choice of two benefits. The other 2 choices were pre-paid tips or a free drink package. This deal came with booking a concierge class cabin. Aqua class was already sold out 2 years in advance of the sailing date!

Our flight for debarkation day was at 2:30. I printed my boarding passes from the ship's computers.

Just a note to the gentlemen out there: We witnessed TWO men on two separate occasions get locked out of their cabins in their underwear! [emoji15]They were putting their bags out in the hallway for the night. One poor guy wandered around in his tightly-whities for about 15 minutes before he was rescued. My DH took pity and gave him a towel from our stateroom. The attendant who let him back in made him show his ID and cruise card before he left.

Another final thought is the beds. Boy are they hard! Disclaimer: I like a softer bed. I can usually manage and I travel a lot. These beds are just terrible, IMO. I knew this and took 2 pads for DH and I. I used a Klymit camping mattress under our mattress pad. It worked wonders for my comfort level.

We did not rush off the ship. We ate as late as we could and waited in the Diamond debarkation area: deck 4 MDR. We left the ship at around 10 am. Most of the crowd had dissipated. It took no time to retrieve outperform luggage and get through customs. We were in a taxi by 10:30 and at the airport before 11.

We had our luggage scanned by the FDA and checked our bags for our SouthWest flight very quickly. TSA was much quicker than the last time we were at SJU. We had about 3 hours to wait for our flight once we were at the gate. They have made a lot of improvements to the airport in SJ in the last few years. It used to be pretty sparse and basic.

Thanks for reading along! I am happy to answer any questions that you may have. My post cruise depression has been alleviated somewhat by writing this review!

23a67060dd257e9d4fc76a58608b30e3.jpg

yes for me it's best to treat post trip depression by planning the next cruise. I've been at it now for 10 days nearly non-stop. It works.

Your review is perfect for me in every way. Detail, facts, pictures and clear responses. Thank you. Yesterday I had figured out St. Thomas and St. Kitts and very easily in just one day I think I'm pretty clear on Curacao and Aruba.

Aruba was my bucket list item which compelled us to this cruise in the first place.

You didn't really offer much comment on Baby Beach and I don't want to assume that lack of comment meant (and moving to two others) "not so much". LOL

Yes! We didn't even have to ask our driver. He just stopped for us. There is a place for the taxi drivers to pull over. I was delighted with Carambola. It was absolutely gorgeous!

It is a 15 minute drive from the port area. The views are incredible. When you get to Carambola, be sure to work out a time for your driver to pick you up, although there are taxis there all the time. You go inside the restaurant and pay for your chairs at the front desk. They give you a ticket and you see the beach attendant. The beach service was prompt and the food very good. We did not have anyone pestering us to buy things on the beach. We didn't try to snorkel, but we saw others snorkeling by the rocks to the right side of the beach as you face the water. There are showers and good restroom facilities. I would highly recommend this place!:)

WOW. So to the point. Much thanks.

We were told the same thing about the taxi driver setting up a time to come get us at Grand Cayman two weeks ago but he did NOT show and then in Cozumel the reviews led us to believe our taxi driver was staying at Buccanos Grill & Beach Club also known as Cozumel Club Calibre while we were there. Not so. Much confusion when the manager left and we had to ask TWO people to call us a taxi. Not having such a good experience with transportation.

Finally read from the start. :)

You had our room. We disembarked 12/24. And it goes to show how everyone's perspective is different because we found the furniture to be fine and unstained (or maybe the people from the three cruises in between were pigs?).

And we found the bed to be fine. Don't wish for an update on the mattress! We stayed in freedom's 1864 in March, and the new beds are *harder*.

Last March as far as I can tell was one of the last times Royal docked in Charlotte-Amalie. Very soon after we returned we heard it was all Crown Bay now.

I was petrified of the Pullman bed above the big bed but it was fine. I had images of it crashing down. Almost changed the sheets to put our feet under the Pullman!

DS, who was about 5'6" at the time (at least an inch taller now), was super comfy up there.

Thanks for the confirmation that they'll weigh you for the slides. I'm so disappointed for my hubby that they went with a weight limit like that. They were just opened or opening on our cruise and I quietly mentioned the weight limit so we never went near.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no connecting door in this cabin. It is an E class cabin, 7688. The sofa is more of a love seat size. The D class cabins have the full sofa. Not all of the cabins have this type of bed, although I think all RCL ships have cabins almost just like this one. All 3 person E class cabins on Adventure have this configuration. The D class cabins have the upper bed over the sofa (if they have an upper bed). Some D cabins have an upper bed AND an upper berth or just the sofa bed. The bed will completely disappear into a panel on the ceiling when it is not needed. Our daughter slept up there. I slept on one for a cruise I took with my Mom and sister in 2012. They are actually quite comfortable!

we booked on board for nearly a month later than our actual trip and we were able to secure the Superior Balcony. None were available on the earlier cruise. I WAS disappointed but we really like the sofa so not so bothered now. We are hoping because of a mistake when the new schedule came out on the Junior Suites that either Cyber Monday or even after final payment date we can snag one for this cruise. Dying to go Emerald.

You didn't really offer much comment on Baby Beach and I don't want to assume that lack of comment meant (and moving to two others) "not so much". LOL

Thank you for your kind words!

I love Baby beach. I will try to give you more details with a list of pros and cons:

Pros

-Calm, shallow water

-wide beach

-good parking

-restaurant

-snorkeling (if you bring your own equipment)

-chairs and cabanas available for rent

-uncrowded

-beautiful scenery

Cons

-It is farther away and off the beaten track. 40 minute drive.

-I couldn't find a bathroom, even in the restaurant!

-large groups of school children come here for swim lessons. Didn't bother me, but may bother some.

-I saw NO taxis go there. You will probably need to rent a car.

In short, it is a great beach if you have the time and transportation to get there. However, there is nothing else in the area. It is strictly a beach-goers place.

WOW. So to the point. Much thanks.

We were told the same thing about the taxi driver setting up a time to come get us at Grand Cayman two weeks ago but he did NOT show and then in Cozumel the reviews led us to believe our taxi driver was staying at Buccanos Grill & Beach Club also known as Cozumel Club Calibre while we were there. Not so. Much confusion when the manager left and we had to ask TWO people to call us a taxi. Not having such a good experience with transportation.

That is terrible, and stressful to say the least! I found the people in Curacao and St. Kitts to be very friendly and accommodating. In both places, the driver returned for us at exactly the appointed hour. No worries at Carambola: you will definitely find a ride back. Taxis are plentiful there.

Finally read from the start. :)

You had our room. We disembarked 12/24. And it goes to show how everyone's perspective is different because we found the furniture to be fine and unstained (or maybe the people from the three cruises in between were pigs?).

And we found the bed to be fine. Don't wish for an update on the mattress! We stayed in freedom's 1864 in March, and the new beds are *harder*.

Last March as far as I can tell was one of the last times Royal docked in Charlotte-Amalie. Very soon after we returned we heard it was all Crown Bay now.

I was petrified of the Pullman bed above the big bed but it was fine. I had images of it crashing down. Almost changed the sheets to put our feet under the Pullman!

DS, who was about 5'6" at the time (at least an inch taller now), was super comfy up there.

Thanks for the confirmation that they'll weigh you for the slides. I'm so disappointed for my hubby that they went with a weight limit like that. They were just opened or opening on our cruise and I quietly mentioned the weight limit so we never went near.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looked like someone had spilled coffee on the couch. I just put a towel over it so it wouldn't come off on my clothes. The cabinets were pretty beat up too. It did not affect my enjoyment of the cruise in any way. I mentioned it since it is such a big topic on CC.

The bed thing is completely subjective. I confess that I am picky. It is enough of an issue for other cruisers that there have been entire threads on the topic of the RCL beds. It is good to know that I am not the only one who doesn't like the new mattresses!

One thing that I forgot to mention: the Diamond lounge. DH, DD, and I are diamond. We usually love going to the Diamond lounge in the evenings. DD snacks on chocolate covered strawberries, and we have a drink. However there were two things that prevented us from using it very much this cruise. The first, and most important reason was that the Diamond lounge was absolutely PACKED every night. .

Did the crowd go down when first seating dining started? We are cruising with friends, they refused to go to late seating, so we thought we would spend time in the DL while they were at early seating.

Day 7 final sea day and debarkation

Our flight for debarkation day was at 2:30. I printed my boarding passes from the ship's computers.

We did not rush off the ship. We ate as late as we could and waited in the Diamond debarkation area: deck 4 MDR. We left the ship at around 10 am. Most of the crowd had dissipated. It took no time to retrieve outperform luggage and get through customs. We were in a taxi by 10:30 and at the airport before 11.

We had our luggage scanned by the FDA and checked our bags for our SouthWest flight very quickly. TSA was much quicker than the last time we were at SJU. We had about 3 hours to wait for our flight once we were at the gate. They have made a lot of improvements to the airport in SJ in the last few years. It used to be pretty sparse and basic.

Thanks for reading along! I am happy to answer any questions that you may have. My post cruise depression has been alleviated somewhat by writing this review!

23a67060dd257e9d4fc76a58608b30e3.jpg

How was SJ airport and what did you do for the 3 hours or so beforehand? This is our first time flying Southwest and not sure what to expect. We have a 4:30 flight out so we want to stay on the ship as long as possible and see if there is any kind excursion we could do that would have airport dropoff. We are going on the ship in April with the same itinerary. We've been to St. Thomas only once on our very first cruise and have been to Aruba 2 times staying there. We are very excited to go on Adventure, especially because we've been on Explorerer and loved the ship. Hope you had a great vacation and thanks again for taking the time to write your review.

Did the crowd go down when first seating dining started? We are cruising with friends, they refused to go to late seating, so we thought we would spend time in the DL while they were at early seating.

Yes! It was like a gong went off every day at 5:55. Everyone would get up and go, just like that!

How was SJ airport and what did you do for the 3 hours or so beforehand? This is our first time flying Southwest and not sure what to expect. We have a 4:30 flight out so we want to stay on the ship as long as possible and see if there is any kind excursion we could do that would have airport dropoff. We are going on the ship in April with the same itinerary. We've been to St. Thomas only once on our very first cruise and have been to Aruba 2 times staying there. We are very excited to go on Adventure, especially because we've been on Explorerer and loved the ship. Hope you had a great vacation and thanks again for taking the time to write your review.

We just sort of sat and hung out. There is a lot of shopping in the terminal now. you will see it when you come out of the TSA area. SouthWest uses the terminal to your right when you exit TSA. If you go left, there is a Subway, Churches chicken, and a Starbucks. We got coffee, got a sandwich, and just waited. Not too exciting, but a 2:30 does not give much time for anything else.

RCL has a Rain Forrest excursion that is good. They will drop you at the airport afterwards. It is only for those whose flights are after 4 pm. You could also get a day pass at the Marriott in Condado. I have done that a few times. Go to the San Juan boards for ideas.

Edited by khm1

Thank you for your kind words!

I love Baby beach. I will try to give you more details with a list of pros and cons:

Pros

-Calm, shallow water

-wide beach

-good parking

-restaurant

-snorkeling (if you bring your own equipment)

-chairs and cabanas available for rent

-uncrowded

-beautiful scenery

Cons

-It is farther away and off the beaten track. 40 minute drive.

-I couldn't find a bathroom, even in the restaurant!

-large groups of school children come here for swim lessons. Didn't bother me, but may bother some.

-I saw NO taxis go there. You will probably need to rent a car.

In short, it is a great beach if you have the time and transportation to get there. However, there is nothing else in the area. It is strictly a beach-goers place.

I was just asking my husband if he may be sick of back to back beaches and if we needed to do something different in Aruba. First he stated "that it will just be different". When I asked what he meant he just said that he had no problems with 3 beaches so 4 won't be a problem.

Maybe this discussion will compel me to inspire him to rent a car for Baby Beach. I also found GoldenDomer's thread which reminded me to check back on a response abou this beach.

His thread is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069703

We just sort of sat and hung out. There is a lot of shopping in the terminal now. you will see it when you come out of the TSA area. SouthWest uses the terminal to your right when you exit TSA. If you go left, there is a Subway, Churches chicken, and a Starbucks. We got coffee, got a sandwich, and just waited. Not too exciting, but a 2:30 does not give much time for anything else.

RCL has a Rain Forrest excursion that is good. They will drop you at the airport afterwards. It is only for those whose flights are after 4 pm. You could also get a day pass at the Marriott in Condado. I have done that a few times. Go to the San Juan boards for ideas.

1) I am interested in your rental experience on Aruba. We rented a car there over 23 years ago while on a Celebrity stop. We just stumbled across a rental "place" when we got off the ship.

There 2 of us plus our 3 teenage sons. Could you provide how you went about it, pricing, how did you arrange the time of pick-up and drop-off, fuel refuel, etc. Was it easy finding parking at Baby Beach, Eagle Beach, etc.

2) The beach stop in St.Kitts sounds great. We did the Thenford Gray tour there in Dec.'15 and would like to do something simpler. Where there rentals there for anything?

3) You mentioned doing a day at the Marriott in Condado. How long ago was that and what kind pricing and was it direct at the front desk. We have a 5:30PM flight out.

4) Sorry there were engine issues on your trip to and back from Trunk Bay. You mentioned shops and a sandwich stop while you were there. Is it close to the beach? Also, we have only did catamaran/snorkel stops to St.Johns', your day sounds great, with the security blanket of getting back to the ship okay. Are they fairly clear on the time and meeting place to catch the boat on your return.

5) Lastly, exactly where on the ship were you able to print your boarding passes. We always drive to FL from SC so now flights required.

Sorry for all the questions but you review has opened up lots of great things for us.

Again, thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures and experiences. We do the exact stops that you did on 7/22/16.

I'd definitely recommend something between the ship and the airport. Southwest will only allow you to check bags a maximum of 3 hours before your flight so if you get to the airport around 11, you'll have to wait until 1:30 to even check your bags and go through security.

1) I am interested in your rental experience on Aruba. We rented a car there over 23 years ago while on a Celebrity stop. We just stumbled across a rental "place" when we got off the ship.

There 2 of us plus our 3 teenage sons. Could you provide how you went about it, pricing, how did you arrange the time of pick-up and drop-off, fuel refuel, etc. Was it easy finding parking at Baby Beach, Eagle Beach, etc.

2) The beach stop in St.Kitts sounds great. We did the Thenford Gray tour there in Dec.'15 and would like to do something simpler. Where there rentals there for anything?

3) You mentioned doing a day at the Marriott in Condado. How long ago was that and what kind pricing and was it direct at the front desk. We have a 5:30PM flight out.

4) Sorry there were engine issues on your trip to and back from Trunk Bay. You mentioned shops and a sandwich stop while you were there. Is it close to the beach? Also, we have only did catamaran/snorkel stops to St.Johns', your day sounds great, with the security blanket of getting back to the ship okay. Are they fairly clear on the time and meeting place to catch the boat on your return.

5) Lastly, exactly where on the ship were you able to print your boarding passes. We always drive to FL from SC so now flights required.

Sorry for all the questions but you review has opened up lots of great things for us.

Again, thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures and experiences. We do the exact stops that you did on 7/22/16.

I read about Royal car rental on Cruise Critic. I went on the website and filled out an email request form. Here is their website: https://royal-arubacarrental.com

They emailed back within 24 hours and told me what vehicle they had available. I filled out the online reservation form. I was instructed to find an agent outside the port gates at 9 am, our agreed upon meeting time. As promised, there was a guy holding a sign with my name in it right at 9 am. He walked us to a parking lot that was very close. We signed the paperwork at the vehicle and we were off. It was very easy. We met the same guy at the same place at 5 pm. It costs $20 more to keep the car past 5.

The beach at Carambola is beautiful. There is snorkeling, but no motorized water sports that I could see. There were small sailboats available for rent.

As you may remember from my review, I had to change our St. Kitts plans the morning we got there since our RCL excursion was cancelled. I HIGHLY recommend the excursion I was meant to do. It is called Fan-ta-sea catamaran sail to Nevis with snorkel. I have done it twice before and it is one of the best excusions that I have ever done (and I've done a lot). You may want to consider it.

The last time we did the Marriott day pass was 2014. I believe you need to reserve from a third party. Here is a link: http://www.resortforaday.com/Marriott-San-Juan-Shore-Excursion-Resort-Pass-p/sjumrs-l.htm

The deli we went to is North Shore deli. It has very good food. There are concessions at Trunk Bay, but they are slow and expensive, IMO.

http://www.mongoosejunctionstjohn.com

It is in a little outdoor mall as you get off the ferry in St. John. It is not easy to see from the street. Cross the street and turn left. You will see the shopping center. It is only a 10 minute taxi drive to Trunk Bay from the shopping center.

They are very clear about when and where to meet the return boat. I recommend this excursion. It is the third time I have done it. It is a safe way to get time on St. John.

The RCL online lounge is on deck 9 just outside the aft elevators in the centrum. I used those computers ro print boarding passes. You will need a internet package or purchase minutes to log in and print your passes.

Happy planning!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by khm1

to convince me which would be better. To stay at St. Thomas or take the trip to St. Johns. Right now we are trying to decide on Brewer's Bay or Emerald Beach. Unfortunately, it will be a Sunday so I don't imagine and actually calm relaxing beach experience will be too easy to come by.

I know it's usually a personal preference but I'm a information is power type of person so things that would work are you won't be as rushed and stressed if you go to St. John as you think to (only guessing) since so many of the itineraries include St. Thomas but not St. Johns you have less opportunity to get to St. Johns. That sort of thing.

I think we are there 8:00 - 5:00. So I don't want to feel rushed the entire time BUT we do have a full sea day and then a 3 full beach days to follow.

I know a lot of pressure and no problem if you don't want to sell me but I'm really not too excited even after all the information I collected on St. Thomas.

We have been on the St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, and St. Croix itinerary. So my desire is to get to lots of different places at least once.

How was SJ airport and what did you do for the 3 hours or so beforehand? This is our first time flying Southwest and not sure what to expect. We have a 4:30 flight out so we want to stay on the ship as long as possible and see if there is any kind excursion we could do that would have airport dropoff.

If I can jump in?

I had a later flight booked but was them confused. Not enough time for an excursion but way too early at the airport. And for you if you get off the ship later then an excursion is really difficult. There's the option of a cab to OSJ and leave bags at borrachinas and wander for a bit but we had had 5 days of that already. So I moved us to the noonish flight, changed our disembarkation time to earlier, and we did that. Disembarked, met up with bags again, got a cab. There's a subway outside the secure area so hubby and son had some food there and we changed stuff in bags around. Had to take up time because we were still over 3 hours early for the flight. :)

Checked bags hit security. Did some duty free shopping (little travel organizey things) then wandered out way through via the little shops and lazed at the gate.

OP, there must have been a problem between our cruises because I don't remember a stain on the couch. Darn those people in between messing up our cabin like that. :)

What is this Borrachinas in San Juan and (if a restaurant) under what conditions do they take your bags for you? If you eat there or do they charge you (how much) per bag. Where is it in relation to the Airport? In other words after you leave the Cruise Port what part of San Juan would they be dropping you off at?

Just to clarify that it's in a town with shopping available?

because we arrive in San Juan on the day of The Feast of San Sebastian and San Fabian we are considering using them just for guarantee we won't be left behind. LOL.

Has anyone done this and can you tell us how much we can expect to pay?

What is this Borrachinas in San Juan and (if a restaurant) under what conditions do they take your bags for you? If you eat there or do they charge you (how much) per bag. Where is it in relation to the Airport? In other words after you leave the Cruise Port what part of San Juan would they be dropping you off at? Just to clarify that it's in a town with shopping available?

Barrachina is located at 104 Fortaleza St. in Old San Juan. They offer free luggage storage for cruise ship passengers between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm everyday. You don't have to eat there, but assume many people do. It's the main sightseeing district in San Juan and is probably 20-30 minutes from the airport.

have never used this service, but I research it every trip just in case. You can google their web site for more information.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by seabeew

If I can jump in?

I had a later flight booked but was them confused. Not enough time for an excursion but way too early at the airport. And for you if you get off the ship later then an excursion is really difficult. There's the option of a cab to OSJ and leave bags at borrachinas and wander for a bit but we had had 5 days of that already. So I moved us to the noonish flight, changed our disembarkation time to earlier, and we did that. Disembarked, met up with bags again, got a cab. There's a subway outside the secure area so hubby and son had some food there and we changed stuff in bags around. Had to take up time because we were still over 3 hours early for the flight. :)

Checked bags hit security. Did some duty free shopping (little travel organizey things) then wandered out way through via the little shops and lazed at the gate.

OP, there must have been a problem between our cruises because I don't remember a stain on the couch. Darn those people in between messing up our cabin like that. :)

Good plan, getting an earlier flight! I don't like to get hot and sweaty, then go to the airport like that. Ewww! I didn't the Barrachina thing once, but not in years.

We got a sub at the same subway! The one that they have past security is always mobbed.

Yes. The couch was a mess. It had an icky stickiness. I think something sweet got spilled on it.

What is this Borrachinas in San Juan and (if a restaurant) under what conditions do they take your bags for you? If you eat there or do they charge you (how much) per bag. Where is it in relation to the Airport? In other words after you leave the Cruise Port what part of San Juan would they be dropping you off at?

Just to clarify that it's in a town with shopping available?

It is in Old San Juan. There is plenty of shopping available! They expect a tip of a few dollars per bag. It is a 25 minute ride to the airport and about 15 minutes from the pier.

to convince me which would be better. To stay at St. Thomas or take the trip to St. Johns. Right now we are trying to decide on Brewer's Bay or Emerald Beach. Unfortunately, it will be a Sunday so I don't imagine and actually calm relaxing beach experience will be too easy to come by.

I know it's usually a personal preference but I'm a information is power type of person so things that would work are you won't be as rushed and stressed if you go to St. John as you think to (only guessing) since so many of the itineraries include St. Thomas but not St. Johns you have less opportunity to get to St. Johns. That sort of thing.

I think we are there 8:00 - 5:00. So I don't want to feel rushed the entire time BUT we do have a full sea day and then a 3 full beach days to follow.

I know a lot of pressure and no problem if you don't want to sell me but I'm really not too excited even after all the information I collected on St. Thomas.

We have been on the St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, and St. Croix itinerary. So my desire is to get to lots of different places at least once.

What you decide upon depends on what you like to do. If you have never been to St. John before, it is totally worth the trouble to go there. I never felt rushed during our day there.[emoji3]