New Latitude Tiers

TheDougOut

I agree completely. In fact, I think points should just be given for every dollar you spend whether it be for the cruise or during the cruise. The points could then be put towards other cruises, shore excursions, merchandise etc.

I don't know much about it - but isn't that the intent of the NCL credit card?

Agree - never "totally". But this one appears safe. NCL is posting and clarifying the rule publicly. I was told it was confirmed directly by the person that runs the program.

If the original intent was to get guests committed to NCL for long term plans, then extending the offer through 2/3/2017 only gets them more of what they wanted.

Yeah, I'm just playing devils advocate really. I'd be extremely surprised if they don't grandfather the points.

I'm also posting from the position where it's irrelevant to me anyway. If they don't give me the extra points then it just means I need another one year 112 days to reach ambassador level, rather than only one year 69 days. :)

Woke up to the email from Norwegian this morning. I have to say I am quite pleased. As someone who just reach silver status, there seems to be much to look forward to with each additional booked cruise. I should probably start paying more attention to the inside offers.

Edited by Joeghartman

After studying the official chart, little additional benefit from Platinum to Platinum Plus.

Additional:

10% vs. 15% onboard discount on shore excursions

30 minutes vs. 60 minutes internet

one bottle of water vs. two bottles of water

dinner with officers (Platinum Plus)

priority restaurant & entertainment seating (Platinum Plus)

So if you have achieved Platinum, that still is the "top" tier worth achieving IMO, unless you want to make the investment of time and resources to reach Ambassador for the complimentary cruise.

I do like some of the additional/new benefits, but I don't believe the structure really incentivizes staying with NCL after Platinum. So if you like the NCL product, keep cruising NCL. If not, move on.

Edited by logan25

I agree completely. In fact, I think points should just be given for every dollar you spend whether it be for the cruise or during the cruise. The points could then be put towards other cruises, shore excursions, merchandise etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That would be along the lines of most hotel and airline loyalty schemes where status and points are different things. Status tends to be earned based on nights stayed or miles travelled, whereas points or miles are more directly related to your spend.

As DougOut says, this is along the lines of what the credit card is doing. The problem is that these things only really work for the customer when there are other methods of earning points (credit cards, eshops etc). If it's based on spend with the company itself then all that happens is that prices go up to reflect the discounts given.

I'm not convinced that NCL has the clout to compete in this area (I for example as someone that uses them a lot would be unlikely to move my hotel and airline point earning potential to NCL).

I think that if they went down this route it would be good for a small minority and bad for most.

I could be wrong though.

I do like some of the additional/new benefits, but I don't believe the structure really incentivizes staying with NCL after Platinum.

I don't get it. If it's appealing to stay with them to get X perks, why wouldn't you stay with them once you're entitled to those perks? Is your reasoning that people are mostly motivated by "what's next?".

After studying the official chart, little additional benefit from Platinum to Platinum Plus.

The priority seating could be interesting. We don't know what it will actually involve, but it may be worth having.

It's been suggested it could mean you can jump the queue at the MDR which would be handy if you eat at peak times.

The easiest way to do the priority entertainment seating would be to use the suite section. Again, that could be handy.

I can't say dinner with officers greatly interests me. It could be interesting on some of the European itineraries where there were only a handful of platinums. There is the real possibility of us even being the only platinum plus onboard on some cruises. Will the officers be cross if we don't want to sit with them? :)

And that is perhaps the biggest benefit for some people. As the numbers of platinums has increased, especially on the caribbean itineraries, the extra status will be a big deal for some.

I wonder whether the "keycard recognition" line means there will be different colour for the levels. I know plenty of people who would see a platinum plus keycard as the biggest deal of all.

Edited by KeithJenner

Everybody has their priorities. Happy to take whatever NCL is giving, but I already give away bottles of wine. Now I can add two bottles of water as well. At least I will make a few "friends".

I sincerely just don't understand the logic. You said there's no point sticking with them after platinum - then what's the point of sticking with them to get platinum?

I don't get it. If it's appealing to stay with them to get X perks, why wouldn't you stay with them once you're entitled to those perks? Is your reasoning that people are mostly motivated by "what's next?".

It's one factor in planning/choosing a cruise vacation. I compare many things during my evaluation.

Finally reached Platinum on Princess so I will now enjoy some free internet each cruise. It's a plus when I cruise Princess, but it's not the only thing I consider of what cruise to book.

Edited by logan25

I think people will start paying more attention to the Insider Offers from now on… (But maybe they will also have fewer offers every month.)

The existing program allowed triple points for each night, in a suite, booked 9+ months.

Does the new progam allow triple points for each night, in a suite, booking an Inisder Offer?

Or, do I only get double points: for a suite OR for and Insider Offer But not both?

Edited by Uniall

The existing program allowed triple points for each night, in a suite, booked 9+ months.

Does the new progam allow triple points for each night, in a suite, booking an Inisder Offer?

Or, do get only get double points: for a suite OR for and Insider Offer But not both?

The existing program allowed quadruple points for a suite booked 9 months in advance, on an insider offer.

It looks quite clear that the only change is the loss of one point for 9 months. I think you are overthinking this.

The existing program allowed quadruple points for a suite booked 9 months in advance, on an insider offer.

It looks quite clear that the only change is the loss of one point for 9 months. I think you are overthinking this.

I hope you are correct that I'm overthinking this. I've been working on this non stop for the last 15 hours with only 3 hours sleep. My PCC is not available. the Res desk agent refused to answer questions and talked down to me like a child and refused to put me through to Latitudes dept or his supervisor. My mangement contact is out of the office. I'm trying desparately to put a plan in place in the next 4 days that gets me to Ambassador status before my booked Apr/May sailings from Southampton. I know I won't get sympathy from most cruise critics but the folks who are getting the shortest end of the stick are those, like me, who booked and planned on the "milepost" level of 500 points being a new level unto itself. I assumed, incorrectly, that they would have 3 new tiers following the mileposts of 250, 500, and 700 points. I found b2b sailings that would have done the trick but I missed the 9 months by 2 weeks.

The reason I ask if you can get extra points for both suite and inside offer ia because of the wording used at the bottom of NCL's new tier benefit spread sheet: "One point per cruise night and an additional point per night if booked in a Suite or in The Haven or booked with a Latitudes Inside offer."

Edited by Uniall

I hope you are correct that I'm overthinking this. I've been working on this non stop for the last 15 hours with only 3 hours sleep. My PCC is not available. the Res desk agent refused to answer questions and talked down to me like a child and refused to put me through to Latitudes dept or his supervisor. My mangement contact is out of the office. I'm trying desparately to put a plan in place in the next 4 days that gets me to Ambassador status before my booked Apr/May sailings from Southampton. I know I won't get sympathy from most cruise critics but the folks who are getting the shortest end of the stick are those, like me, who booked and planned on the "milepost" level of 500 points being a new level unto itself. I assumed, incorrectly, that they would have 3 new tiers following the mileposts of 250, 500, and 700 points. I found b2b sailings that would have done the trick but I missed the 9 months by 2 weeks.

You're not overthinking anything. Sounds spot on to me. Carry on!

Good for NCL. They've made it a little tougher to get tier benefits and recognized their most loyal customers. There are just too many platinum members currently which waters down the benefits. I doubt we'll ever reach ambassador status but really shouldn't because we don't live on the ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The reason I ask if you can get extra points for both suite and inside offer ia because of the wording used at the bottom of NCL's new tier benefit spread sheet: "One point per cruise night and an additional point per night if booked in a Suite or in The Haven or booked with a Latitudes Inside offer."

You're not getting the "short end of the stick" because you assumed the new tier would be at 500 points-- you made an assumption that wasn't correct. End of story.

Its a moot point since the changes have already been announced and spending is not part of the equation.

The only milestone thing you are/were entitled to at 500 points is a photo frame which I am sure you will still get in the mail. It was your incorrect assumption on everything else and I honestly do not see how talking to anyone higher up on the ladder is going to change that for you.

Additional:

10% vs. 15% onboard discount on shore excursions

30 minutes vs. 60 minutes internet

one bottle of water vs. two bottles of water

dinner with officers (Platinum Plus)

priority restaurant & entertainment seating (Platinum Plus)

So if you have achieved Platinum, that still is the "top" tier worth achieving IMO, unless you want to make the investment of time and resources to reach Ambassador for the complimentary cruise.

I do like some of the additional/new benefits, but I don't believe the structure really incentivizes staying with NCL after Platinum. So if you like the NCL product, keep cruising NCL. If not, move on.

Considering we have 0% discount on ShoreEx 5 mins ago, 15% is good to have.

We had 0 bottles of water (unless in a suite), so 2 is good to have.

I suspect the priority seating will mean about as much as the priority Spa Services access....where they don't even ask who you are, before telling you what is available.

Stephen

You're not getting the "short end of the stick" because you assumed the new tier would be at 500 points-- you made an assumption that wasn't correct. End of story.

Like I said, I knew I would not get sympathy from fellow Cruise Critics.

I've observed latent "class envy" on other CC threads and anticipated it on this topic, as well. But, I did get the short end of the stick because NCL's new plan intentionally left 500 mile posters high and dry.

The NEW Platinum Plus group kicks in at 175 points, while I have more than 3 times that level with 500+ points which NCL officially created as a recognized Latitudes Level. The NEW program simply abolishes that 500 point level.

While my assumption turned out to be wrong, I had a reasonable expectation that NCL would use its existing and recognized mile posts of 250, 500 & 700 points. NCL should have set 250 points for Platinum Plus, 500 points for Ambassador, and 700 points for Ambassador Plus.

So, to put it another way, it's not your "End of Story". It's me learning the new rules and coming up with a new game plan. What really ticks me off is the "Leaked" Roll Out on a Friday leaves me only 4 work days to come up with a plan and implement it and eliminated my ability to get "official" assistance in setting up a plan over the week end.

Edited by Uniall