Steakhouse - which steak to order?

megbowlstrike

Hi! Let me preface this by saying I've been to the steakhouse twice, once on Liberty and once on Valor. We are going to the steakhouse on our cruise on the Conquest in Feb and am thinking of changing up my steak selection. I have gotten the bone-in ribeye both times I've been to the steakhouse. It's a great steak, but just curious what everyone's favorite cut/order is at the steakhouse. Please share pics, too, if you have them! :)

I have tried the porter, NY strip and Filet and they are all delicious. You cannot go wrong. But then again, I often enjoy the lobster and take a couple of bites of hubby's giant steak as with all the other things to sample, it's too much food

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a chef and it's a matter of taste. All three cuts are excellent. I personally like the N.Y., probably the least tender and most flavorful of the 3. The ribeye would be second most tender, a little fatty (hence the "eye") and very juicy. The filet, although the most tender is the least flavorful. You can't go wrong with any of the steaks. BTW, my wife does not eat meat and says the Sea Bass is melt in your mouth outstanding.

I am a chef and it's a matter of taste. All three cuts are excellent. I personally like the N.Y., probably the least tender and most flavorful of the 3. The ribeye would be second most tender, a little fatty (hence the "eye") and very juicy. The filet, although the most tender is the least flavorful. You can't go wrong with any of the steaks. BTW, my wife does not eat meat and says the Sea Bass is melt in your mouth outstanding.

I agree with this, you should go with the steak you like most. Everyone has a favorite.

It was cooked perfectly, and had that not-gamey but flavorful taste I always hope for when I order rack of lamb. Problem was it was my daughter who ordered it so I only got one bite, and "suffered" through my surf and turf which was very good. Next time rack of lamb for me without question.

I used to get the lamb chops and they were really good. However, my lst 4 trips have been on the Conquest and they really don't know how to cook it. I tried it twice and then gave up. It was so tough I couldn't cut it never mind eat it. They did give me a steak instead but I was told that lamb was like that. The Dream, Legend, the Glory all had great lamb. I'm not sure we are going to the Steakhouse on our next cruise. It might depend on what the food is like in the dining room. I also had problems on the Conquest with my meal at dinner. Looking forward to a different ship. I still had a good time on all my cruises, as the food is only one part of the experience.

tigercat

I used to get the lamb chops and they were really good.

tigercat

This post is not really to comment on tigercat's post, but to clarify that my experience with the heavenly rack of lamb is not the same order as lamb chops (just for anyone who didn't know they are two different dishes).

Hi! Let me preface this by saying I've been to the steakhouse twice, once on Liberty and once on Valor. We are going to the steakhouse on our cruise on the Conquest in Feb and am thinking of changing up my steak selection. I have gotten the bone-in ribeye both times I've been to the steakhouse. It's a great steak, but just curious what everyone's favorite cut/order is at the steakhouse. Please share pics, too, if you have them! :)

Ribeye is TOO fatty for me.

I used to enjoy the Porterhouse, but they removed it.

So now it's filet mignon for me.

Must be why I wasn't overly impressed with the filet. It's my usual go to selection at our local upscale steakhouse and it's always so juicy and flavorful. Just felt like on the ship it was missing something?? Think I'll go for the ribeye next time.

usually chops are ordered rare or medium rare

generally they will and should be tender

no such thing as gamey lamb since its not game;) its just lamb!

Ive gotten it on the liberty, pride, valor and uniformly its been great!

even gotten it at chops grille on a couple royal Caribbean ships

so---- cant recall specifically which ship but I suspect royal they had the chops on top of a bed of red roasted taters

and on carnival I think you get couple of chops

and I cannot recall but somebody's steak house serves some slow braised pieces of lamb shank I think it is with it which is really good, but as stated by others , if you get a salad, soup, app, then its all just too much! especially with a good bottle of ine

---------------------

on a related note: we have done the Chef's Table on Fantasy and it was wonderful but also too much food! everything is in tiny bites and portions and pretty much everyone says to skip the bread! maybe take it back to the room with you - chefs table is like 75 bucks each but it does include the tip and all the wine you can puke if you drink too much!

they do, several wine choices too during the meal

the best thing about the steak houses are you are supposed to be waited on the way we were on any ship at any meal back in the day! the day being back in the 80's for us, every meal was a super treat

chefs table is a step above that with each person being served simultaneously each course ( usually ) so a meal of 12 peeps will see 12 guys and girls serving at one time - then some of them vaporize till the next course - you'll generally be hosted by the head chef, and several of the maître d's will come thru during dinner and each patron will get the menu to keep and a group picture too!:)

no such thing as gamey lamb since its not game;) its just lamb!

FYI, The expression "gamy" or "gamey" describes meat that tastes or smells different, perhaps stronger, than the bland, familiar tastes. The term is often extended to mutton (sheep) or lamb, goat, camel, as well as animals such as kudu, mountain sheep, moose or bear, that people do not ordinarily eat.