Hawaii to Sydney - Solstice or Carnival Legend?

We are trying to decide between two quotes for Hawaii to Sydney Sept/Oct this year. One is on Carnival Legend & the other Celebrity Solstice.

We have never cruised with Carnival, & have heard there can be issues with unruly kids.

We have been on Solstice before & loved it, but we've loved all ships we've been on including 9 cruises witj P&O & multiple Princess.

Legend includes Moorea, Suva & Noumea. Solstice includes Maui, Auckland & Pahia. Other Ports are the same.

Both cabins are inside accessible, & the last available of their type.

Legend cabin is right at the very front on Deck 7, which is a concern, considering the number of sea days across open ocean.

Celebrity cabin is Deck 9 near fwd elevators & right next door to a cabin we've sailed in before.

Carnival quote includes $200 OBC.

No perks on Celebrity because current sale offering beverage package & OBC only applies to Oceanview cabins & above, even though accessible oceanview for this sailing are sold out.

Apparently gratuities are not payable on top on either ship, but Celebrity is $US onboard, & Carnival is $AUD.

Both cruises are 17nts & quotes includes flight, transfers & 3nts in Honolulu plus a Pearl Harbour Tour.

Carnival is around $600 cheaper pp. (without counting the $200 OBC)

Any thoughts please?

For me it is X and the Solstice hands down as it is my favourite ship and I think X does things better than many other lines I have been on. However, as you are in an inside, the $700 per person that carnival is offering, makes a sizeable chunk percentage wise on the total price package and that would tempt me to have some spending money as the ship is also in AUD rather than USD. That would add up with out a drink's package.

We are trying to decide between two quotes for Hawaii to Sydney Sept/Oct this year. One is on Carnival Legend & the other Celebrity Solstice.

We have never cruised with Carnival, & have heard there can be issues with unruly kids.

We have been on Solstice before & loved it, but we've loved all ships we've been on including 9 cruises witj P&O & multiple Princess.

Legend includes Moorea, Suva & Noumea. Solstice includes Maui, Auckland & Pahia. Other Ports are the same.

Both cabins are inside accessible, & the last available of their type.

Legend cabin is right at the very front on Deck 7, which is a concern, considering the number of sea days across open ocean.

Celebrity cabin is Deck 9 near fwd elevators & right next door to a cabin we've sailed in before.

Carnival quote includes $200 OBC.

No perks on Celebrity because current sale offering beverage package & OBC only applies to Oceanview cabins & above, even though accessible oceanview for this sailing are sold out.

Apparently gratuities are not payable on top on either ship, but Celebrity is $US onboard, & Carnival is $AUD.

Both cruises are 17nts & quotes includes flight, transfers & 3nts in Honolulu plus a Pearl Harbour Tour.

Carnival is around $600 cheaper pp. (without counting the $200 OBC)

Any thoughts please?

Have you looked at NCL Jewel as a third alternative?

I think you're less likely to get unruly kids on a 17 night cruise regardless of the ship and, I have to say, we had quite a few unruly kids on our last Solstice cruise but it was a Christmas cruise.

Personally I think the MDR meals are better on Legend.

Solstice is a much nicer ship though.

Legend seemed to handle rough seas very well. We had an aft cabin, overlooking the stern, and encountered some fairly heavy seas on our cruise without any problems. The last night was rough but they still ran the production show and the theatre is as far forward as you can get.

Carnival wll definitely be cheaper as far as onboard costs go. They don't have a drinks package but their drinks prices are reasonable, and they have two wine packages which offer 20% off ranges of bottled wine - 5 bottles per package, two classes of wine, plenty of choice in each class.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

OK, here's my two cents worth...

Sailed on Carnival Legend 5 yrs ago in the Caribbean.

Unruly children were not much of an issue because Spring Break was over & done with, & the kiddies were back in school.

But I've sailed other Carnival cruises in which unruly children were an issue.

The food in the buffet was awful (except for breakfast).

The MDR food was mediocre.

The evening entertainment was OK, but my favorite performance was the Passenger Talent Show.

The ship was a bit tired in decor, as was our suite. The best part was the aft wrap around balcony. Didn't notice any ocean motion on that cruise.

But I think that was one of the calmer Caribbean sailings we experienced.

Sailed on the X Solstice 3 yrs ago. This was the sailing just prior to the Christmas/NY sailing.

Unruly children were not an issue at all, but disembarkation was just a couple days before Christmas in Sydney.

I've sailed on three more X sailings since, including Christmas & Spring Break sailings...& never noticed the children being unruly.

I'm sure Northern Hemisphere kids are just as wild (if not wilder) than Down Under children.:D

Also, the food in both the buffet and MDR is much better than Carnival.

Can't really comment on the entertainment, as we usually skip the shows.

The ship & staterooms also appear to be more up to date than the Carnival ships.

Overall, I recommend the Celebrity cruise over Carnival.

Hope this helps.

There is no comparison......Solstice is a far better ship and Celebrity a far better cruise line.....better cabins, better food, better service, better entertainment.

Edited by Fletch1