Norway if we don't like very cold weather?

poss

We've done an Alaska cruise several times, and we absolutely love the wonderful scenery. We've done a Baltics itinerary several times as well. But we've never done an itinerary that includes Norway or Greenland or Iceland. I'd love to be able to cruise those areas (Norway most especially I think), but I'm hesitant because we very much don't enjoy very cold temperatures, high winds, etc. Also tend to get sea-sick in rough sea conditions (even with Bonine). Regent (we've only ever cruised Regent, very pleased) has a couple of itineraries for summer 2018 that look absolutely wonderful.

I know that weather conditions vary a lot (once in Alaska was not-so-great; once absolutely perfect), but I'm hoping to receive responses on whether a cruise to those fjord areas in Norway (also some ports in Russia which don't sound very interesting) is likely to be a mistake for us. I've read that it's usually quite a bit colder in those areas than, say, for the Alaska ports. Is that correct? Are the seas more choppy?

Many thanks for feedback.

We've done an Alaska cruise several times, and we absolutely love the wonderful scenery. We've done a Baltics itinerary several times as well. But we've never done an itinerary that includes Norway or Greenland or Iceland. I'd love to be able to cruise those areas (Norway most especially I think), but I'm hesitant because we very much don't enjoy very cold temperatures, high winds, etc. Also tend to get sea-sick in rough sea conditions (even with Bonine). Regent (we've only ever cruised Regent, very pleased) has a couple of itineraries for summer 2018 that look absolutely wonderful. I know that weather conditions vary a lot (once in Alaska was not-so-great; once absolutely perfect), but I'm hoping to receive responses on whether a cruise to those fjord areas in Norway (also some ports in Russia which don't sound very interesting) is likely to be a mistake for us. I've read that it's usually quite a bit colder in those areas than, say, for the Alaska ports. Is that correct? Are the seas more choppy? Many thanks for feedback.

Appreciate the good questions. Based on our experiences and skilled folks with whom I have communicated, there are two key factors!! Timing and luck??!! We traveled in July and things worked very well for us. You can see on my live/blog connected below that we enjoyed generally nice and successful weather. Our experienced ship Captain shared that, on average, July tends to be the best month, especially if you are going all of the way up to the North Cape as we did. Things might be a little cheaper in May or early June, but your odds are not as good on weather. We did not have any rough sea challenges during our July sailing.

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go farther north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice!!??

If you have done Regent previously, there are several very good lines that offer similar, smaller-ship styles. This includes Silversea that we used. We used Crystal for our Baltics/Russia cruise, plus Seabourn in the Greek Islands, etc. Glad to hear that you have traveled in these northern Europe areas earlier.

Added questions or info needs? Happy to share more. Below are a few of my sample pictures to help building the "excitement" for doing this "adventure".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,906 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Flam, there are some great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below is just one picture/highlight from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

From the port-side control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoten Islands along the scenic Norway coast. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Going down into Gjesvaer, near the North Cape, here was a harbor scene/mountain scene. At the bottom right are some of the wooden fish drying racks.:

NorthCapeTownMtnHarbor.jpg

You will love Norway and the fjords. And it is not cold in the European summer. We did a cruise with Azamara that went right up to North Cape and Honningsvag, well inside the Artcic circle and were surprised that it was not very cold. Then we realised the Gulf Stream flows so far north with its warm currents that even Arctic Norway stays relatively mild in summer. Would we do it again? Absolutely, but we love Alaska too. Scenery in both places is fabulous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks very much to all responders. And, Terry, I've been enjoying your photos and reports for a long time--shame on me if I haven't said that before. In fact, I'd already reviewed these photos and reports (and other threads about the area-- I always do some homework before blindly posting questions).

I don't want to try another cruise line, since we've been super-satisfied with Regent (though I have not a whole lot of desire to sail the new Explorer). Also, my elderly husband isn't real gung-ho about traveling anymore; at least having the familiar ships makes it more comfortable for him.

BulaBoi: We did a 14-day Alaska cruise in May last year and loved it. How would you rate the scenery in Alaska (we did not go to Denali) with the Norway scenery? And am I correct that the average temps are usually cooler in Scandinavia? When I googled, that seemed to be the case. Alaska, of course, would be a lot easier to get to. (Wish we had done the fjords back in the day!)

How do Iceland and Greenway compare (in scenery and weather) with the Norway/Sweden itineraries? (I wonder if I should post that query in a separate thread.)

Has anyone loved the Russian ports like Arcangel (sp?), Murmansk, etc.? (We're not interested in military stuff.)

Does anyone who knows the area well want to take a look at two itineraries I'm thinking of and say if one is significantly more scenic than the other? June 24 on Regent Explorer (very expensive per diem) cf August 1 on Navigator (a ship I'm a little concerned about because it doesn't do rough seas as well as the other three Regent ships).

In any case, thanks again for these replies, and very grateful for any continuing input..

Thanks very much to all responders. And, Terry, I've been enjoying your photos and reports for a long time--shame on me if I haven't said that before. In fact, I'd already reviewed these photos and reports (and other threads about the area-- I always do some homework before blindly posting questions).

I don't want to try another cruise line, since we've been super-satisfied with Regent (though I have not a whole lot of desire to sail the new Explorer). Also, my elderly husband isn't real gung-ho about traveling anymore; at least having the familiar ships makes it more comfortable for him.

BulaBoi: We did a 14-day Alaska cruise in May last year and loved it. How would you rate the scenery in Alaska (we did not go to Denali) with the Norway scenery? And am I correct that the average temps are usually cooler in Scandinavia? When I googled, that seemed to be the case. Alaska, of course, would be a lot easier to get to. (Wish we had done the fjords back in the day!)

How do Iceland and Greenway compare (in scenery and weather) with the Norway/Sweden itineraries? (I wonder if I should post that query in a separate thread.)

Has anyone loved the Russian ports like Arcangel (sp?), Murmansk, etc.? (We're not interested in military stuff.)

Does anyone who knows the area well want to take a look at two itineraries I'm thinking of and say if one is significantly more scenic than the other? June 24 on Regent Explorer (very expensive per diem) cf August 1 on Navigator (a ship I'm a little concerned about because it doesn't do rough seas as well as the other three Regent ships).

In any case, thanks again for these replies, and very grateful for any continuing input..

Lots of questions...

I will respond to the difference between Alaska and Norway.

I have been on two Alaska cruises and also rented a Harley and spent 10 days inside of Alaska - Rode down to Homer then up to Fairbanks and then down to Valdez AK... Alaska was Great

However, Our cruise to Norway was Much better - did all except on excursion via Private - we were on the Ocean Princess - 650 passenger's LOVED all of Norway. We went to North Cape then up to Longyearbyn (which is about 500 miles NORTH of North Cape - all in the middle of June... One of our best cruises ever (been on about 30 cruises total).

Weather was Great

The North Cape is our furthest point in June.

Northcape is interesting.... As with most excursions... we did private and timing is everything with the North Cape... Our trip was nice - however, that night talked to people at our table and their trip was foggy... . It can very windy ..

Longyearbyn was super interesting and its a day cruise there and a day cruise back.. on our way back the night was super clear and at Midnight - the ship stopped in the middle of a ice field and did several 360's With the Sun up / Midnight Sun - Breath taking...

Arkhangelsk and Murmansk are fairly dreary. Military history and access to Arctic tundra probably highlight of a visit. Nothing like the scenery of Norway or Alaska. It could be interesting to see Soviet city planning and architecture, depending on your interests.

How would you rate the scenery in Alaska (we did not go to Denali) with the Norway scenery? And am I correct that the average temps are usually cooler in Scandinavia? When I googled, that seemed to be the case. Alaska, of course, would be a lot easier to get to. (Wish we had done the fjords back in the day!)

Of those two itineraries, I would strongly lean towards the June 24 Explorer if you want to see Norway. The Geirangerfjord is one of the highlights of cruising the Norwegian fjords. I typically tell people that they should include at least one of Geiranger or Flåm on a Norwegian fjord sailing, and that sailing visits both. In contrast, the Aug 1 Navigator sailing doesn't visit either. In fact, the Aug 1 itinerary is very light on the Norwegian fjords altogether. Of its Norwegian ports (Stavanger, Bergen, Ålesund, Trondheim, Hammerfest, Honningsvåg, and Kristiansund), Ålesund is the only port that's really going to give you access to the iconic fjord scenery.

As for whether you would enjoy it... How cold is "very cold"? It's not going to be freezing, but it's quite likely that you'll find temperatures down in the teens ©. Combined with a breeze out on deck, I find that I like having a hat and light gloves. (However, the weather is wholly unpredictable, so it's also not uncommon to luck into temperatures in the upper 20s.)

Comparing Norway and Alaska - My primary impression of the difference is that Alaska is blue and Norway is green. Some of the biggest highlights of Alaska for me were the massive glaciers and the whales. In Norway, it's the towering cliffsides of the fjords and the small farms and villages dotting the landscape. You will see far less wildlife on a Norwegian cruise, and the selling point is the famous Norwegian fjord scenery. The port calls are in small towns and cities with long fishing and Hanseatic shipping histories, compared to the frontier gold-rush towns of Alaska.

Comparing it to Iceland and Greenland - Outside of Reykjavik and Akureyri, Iceland is barely populated. I've always been curious about those who visit the other parts of the country by cruise, since there's very little infrastructure and long distances to reach the highlights for sightseeing. Overall, Iceland is a vastly different landscape than Norway, since there are virtually no trees, and much of the landscape is created by glaciers and volcanoes. It's a fascinating place, but it's so different that it's hard to compare. I will say that from a cruise perspective, Norway is much more convenient in that you can step off the ship and be right in the middle of things to do and see. Outside of the few main Icelandic cities, there's a lot more logistics involved.

As for Greenland, I've not visited personally, but there's again a huge difference between east and west Greenland. West Greenland is more populated, and cruises tend to visit the small settlements along the coast. East Greenland is dominated by a national park with dramatic glaciers. East Greenland is on my bucket list, but it's more of an expedition destination, relying on smaller boats like zodiacs to facilitate shore landings. Greenland is also likely to be colder, if that's a concern!

kaisatsu: Thanks so very much for your terrific response. Wonderful of you to spell things out in such excellent detail. And sincere thanks to all responders, all very helpful indeed. The trick now will be to convince myself that we can afford that Explorer agenda. I'll be turning 75 next summer, and it'd sure be a super b'day present! (Husband turns 88 the month before the cruise.)

I have been to Alaska, Norway and Iceland as well. Her descriptions are very accurate. We were in Norway in July and it was 85 the entire week and very hot. And we were only prepared for cold! Villages remind me of New England. Alaska was cold at the end of May. Towns remind me of the Wild West

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We think Terry summed it up well when he said, "Timing and Luck." That says it all. We have been to Norway and Northern Europe on multiple trips and have had everything from hot (balmy) days to nasty very chilly days. When it comes to Norway and the Baltic...one needs to be prepared for anything.

Hank

Bring Black Duct tape for curtains - most of Norway is above Artic cirlcle- SUNLIGHT, lol

ROFL. The first time we went North of the Arctic Circle (Prinsendam) DW and I really wanted to see what happens to the midnight sun so we went up to the Crows Nest late one evening. You would think that other cruisers would want to experience the "Midnight Sun" but there were only about 6 passengers awake at midnight...out of about 600. We watched the sun move towards the horizon...and then simply move around....rather then set. It was fascinating and a neat experience. Being a HAL vessel, few were awake after 10pm...much less to midnight. But we did enjoy a drink with the company of our Captain (Halle Gundersen) who told us he still enjoyed seeing the "midnight sun" even though he has spent most of his life in Bergen.

Hank

ROFL. The first time we went North of the Arctic Circle (Prinsendam) DW and I really wanted to see what happens to the midnight sun so we went up to the Crows Nest late one evening. You would think that other cruisers would want to experience the "Midnight Sun" but there were only about 6 passengers awake at midnight...out of about 600. We watched the sun move towards the horizon...and then simply move around....rather then set. It was fascinating and a neat experience. Being a HAL vessel, few were awake after 10pm...much less to midnight. But we did enjoy a drink with the company of our Captain (Halle Gundersen) who told us he still enjoyed seeing the "midnight sun" even though he has spent most of his life in Bergen.

Hank

I won't need the black duct tape as I'll be in an inside cabin, but I love your idea of going to the Crow's Nest for the Midnight Sun. I'll be on the Koningsdam and inside the Arctic Circle on the solstice, so that will be my plan!

Our Norway cruise was 16 days and most of those were above the Artic circle... we went as far north to Longyearbyn - which is 800 Miles Above the Artic circle and only about 800 miles from the actual North Pole - Top of the world... IF you can get a cruise that take you up there - very interesting place,,, wonderful cruise all around.