Getting engaged help??!!!

cruzinchad

I'm taking a Thomson cruise to the Caribbean in April sailing on the Thomson Dream. The itinerary is

Montego Bay Jamaica, La Romana, Dominican Republic Road Town, British Virgin Islands Philipsburg, St Maarten, Basseterre, St Kitts, St John's, Antigua, Funchal, Cadiz,

I'd like to propose to my girlfriend during the trip I just don't know where, as in the best place maybe one of our destinations etc. However having never been to any of them I'm not sure where the best one would be or how. (I don't mean the actual question) Obviously a sunset beach won't be possible because we'd be leaving port most days around 17,18:00. I was thinking at one of the formal dinner nights. Is it something guest services could help with when we get on board?

Thanks in advance

I'm taking a Thomson cruise to the Caribbean in April sailing on the Thomson Dream. The itinerary is

Montego Bay Jamaica, La Romana, Dominican Republic Road Town, British Virgin Islands Philipsburg, St Maarten, Basseterre, St Kitts, St John's, Antigua, Funchal, Cadiz,

I'd like to propose to my girlfriend during the trip I just don't know where, as in the best place maybe one of our destinations etc. However having never been to any of them I'm not sure where the best one would be or how. (I don't mean the actual question) Obviously a sunset beach won't be possible because we'd be leaving port most days around 17,18:00. I was thinking at one of the formal dinner nights. Is it something guest services could help with when we get on board?

Thanks in advance

Cruzinchad, I think your girlfriend will be so thrilled to be engaged that the actual spot you choose is really less important.

Choose a nice place out on the deck of the ship one night under the stars, or perhaps over cocktails one night in one of the lounges.

If you propose early on before you arrive at any of these locations it will make your new fiancee's cruise that much more enjoyable.

Good Luck and congratulations.

Jonathan

I suggest you wait until you are together on yorr trip and you find yourrself in a place that 'feels right to you. IfI you notice she seems to take delight in the beuatiful flower garden she notices in one of your ports, or she sighs with happiness at the beuaty of the sights you are seing, she( and you) seem to be very happy ro be in a particular place. THAT likely would be a great spot for proposing. It isabout the ttwo of you, togehter, enjjoying your time together and will add to your grreat memories.

All best wishes.

please come back and share wirh us when you return as a newly engaged gent.

You may find you decide aboard the ship is the perfect place.

Edited by sail7seas

I hate to be practical here but knowing what it's like going through security and the general chaos of travel, and knowing what an engagement ring costs both in money and emotion, there's no way I'm carrying that ring until we're on the ship. Much safer on her finger.

Whatever you decide I wish you both a long and happy marriage.

I would suggest that you propose on the ship perhaps at sail away time - imagine being out on your balcony (or on deck somewhere if you don't have a balcony), just the two of you, sparkling wine chilling on ice in the cabin (order online ahead of the cruise) and you point at something in the distance so she looks back at the port, then you drop to one knee and when she looks back, there you are on one knee with the ring! From that moment forward, she can wear the ring and you won't have to worry about hiding it or it getting lost and she will be so giddy and happy for the entire cruise she will be walking on air!

If you want to do it in the MDR, then yes, tell the Maitre'd and enlist his help or you might ask the cruise director to assist you - they usually bring some singers to do a song and then you propose.

But I do think that sail away is always such a special time onboard and it would make your trip just amazing for her!

I would suggest that you propose on the ship perhaps at sail away time - imagine being out on your balcony (or on deck somewhere if you don't have a balcony), just the two of you, sparkling wine chilling on ice in the cabin (order online ahead of the cruise) and you point at something in the distance so she looks back at the port, then you drop to one knee and when she looks back, there you are on one knee with the ring! From that moment forward, she can wear the ring and you won't have to worry about hiding it or it getting lost and she will be so giddy and happy for the entire cruise she will be walking on air!

I second this idea.

DH proposed to me on board. Next year we will board that same ship for the 10th anniversary of the engagement. We also went back on our 5th. We are hoping to again have the same table.

Guest services & the maître d helped my husband pull off a romantic proposal. My ring was brought to the table under a dome on a bed of roses at dessert with a bottle of champagne. (I think the cruise offered to comp him the house champagne but DH knew I didn't like it so he paid to upgrade to a brand I prefer).

One of the cuter on board ideas I ever heard of was to arrange with the ship's photographer to be there so you capture that magic moment. This causes a bit of a spectacle so only do it if she won't mind the attention. Another spectacle involves organizing it so you are the newlywed couple on the not so newlywed game & popping the Q on stage.