Jan.22 cruise, likes & dislikes so far:

keithm

I was also on the 1/22 Eclipse Sailing. I am looking forward to your full review.

I found the food in the MDR to be mostly overcooked, heavy in sauces or prepared well in advance then heat lamped more than I remember from past cruises. In one instance, the plate, 1/2 small scoop of mashed potatoes and vegetable were hotter than the salmon.

There were some very good exceptions for me but they were far fewer than they had been. I felt that the food was prepared by cooks and not chefs.

Food was not terrible, but certainly was not up to the standards of the 2014 & 2015 trips we did. I blame the ex. chef. We ate in the early seating. We noticed one night a number of the chefs walking around. I saw Bogdan(the Maître D) & asked him. He said he made them come out and address the complaints from the diners.

I just got back from the same cruise on Eclipse. I thought the food in mdr was very good and portions were too big for me to finish. Someone mentioned a drink called a mudslide and tried it. Wow, consider this a thank you note!

Portions were smaller than I used to see, but fine in any case. Food quality was NOT up to past standards. I'm in the food industry & trust me the food was far below what we experienced in the past. My full review will be posted tonight.

Keithm, my feeling is that the Ex chef should be coming out to take a bow, not handling complaints about the quality of the food. You are right that the food was edible. There was nothing overly wrong with it. However the food in the Celebrity dining rooms, not too long ago, used to be WOW. Have you noticed that the seafood has virtually disappeared? Even the Seafood Pie in the buffet was mostly un-served fish from the night before with some small sized shrimp I'd guess was 51/60.

On the other hand, I've never experienced so much hard sell to get people to buy Sushi on 5 or Qsine. Even then, they wouldn't give more than 30% discount on the over priced venues. The other two restaurants, Tuscan & Murano were booked heavily.

One thing I can add, that no matter how the food was on Celebrity, it was still far superior to the last (in more ways than one) Carnival cruise we experienced.