Jan.22 cruise, likes & dislikes so far:

keithm

We're now halfway. Only real disappointment is the food. Portions are smaller(which is fine)Quality, however is much lower than 2015. I think it's the Ex.chef & not cut backs. Food in specialty rest. is fine(exception) the duck, which was too fatty.Staff is fine. Entertainment kind of a mixed bag. Better in 2015. Already booked for 2018, so I'm taking a risk. Weather has been perfect. Virtually no rain so far. Luggage Valet is back & has worked so far. For Dave & Kathy: hi guys!!. Hope to be able to answer your question about the early room vacating issue we've heard about. I'll check in now & then.Dress code is pretty much being followed. Less tuxes, but still fairly nicely dressed. Food on the Chic nights is nothing to brag about. Only a tad better than standard nights.Photographers less aggressive since lowering of formal nights.

We're now halfway. Only real disappointment is the food. Portions are smaller(which is fine)Quality, however is much lower than 2015. I think it's the Ex.chef & not cut backs. Food in specialty rest. is fine(exception) the duck, which was too fatty.Staff is fine. Entertainment kind of a mixed bag. Better in 2015. Already booked for 2018, so I'm taking a risk. Weather has been perfect. Virtually no rain so far. Luggage Valet is back & has worked so far. For Dave & Kathy: hi guys!!. Hope to be able to answer your question about the early room vacating issue we've heard about. I'll check in now & then.Dress code is pretty much being followed. Less tuxes, but still fairly nicely dressed. Food on the Chic nights is nothing to brag about. Only a tad better than standard nights.Photographers less aggressive since lowering of formal nights.

Thanks for remembering. Here's an update posted by "Celebrity Cruises" on 25 January... Enjoy your Cruise.

It was brought to our attention that guests were asked to leave their staterooms on disembarkation day at 7am earlier this month. The ships have been advised to move this time to 8am as per our standards.
Edited by davekathy

We got off the Eclipse just last Sunday. We agree that portions were smaller. Especially, we thought, appetizers. However our waiter must have heard enough comments or maybe he was instructed to, but on the first night he made a point of saying we should order as many servings of each course as we wanted. And he could mix and match different sides or add more of those too. We didn't need to double up and both felt not so "filled to the brim" when we left the table each night. We thought most dishes we chose were good to very good.

My husband's big complaint, and he spoke to the maitre d about it, was the

cheese plate came everyday with the same 3 generic cheeses. We were told the chef was keeping the more interesting choices for the specialty restaurants. However on the last couple days in the lunch buffet DH was surprised when there was a nice variety of French and German cheeses offered. Obviously something they pulled out of the finer dining restaurants to "use up". ;)

We found service was excellent. Entertainment hit or miss for us as usual. We are booked for next Jan. We enjoy the mix of sea and port days in this longer itinerary.

I agree re dress... we were really impressed with how everyone looked even on casual nights. We had a wide range of ages and it seemed everyone was out to make every night pretty special.

We'll be back in Florida come March for our two week land vacation. Good way to break up the cold winter months.

Edited by eandj

Must be the 2 week Eclipse if he posted 7 days in saying it's half way.

Thank you, yes that's correct.Saw the "topper" show 2 nights ago. Really jazzy. Fun with decent singing. The food is now getting better. They had the chefs "canvassing" the guests about the many complaints. Portions are bigger(but, I always feel you can ask for extra)Lack of seasoning & variety were my issues. Luminae menus didn't look all that great, for what the suites cost. We're now booked next Jan.21 for 14 days. Hope food is like the past. After that point, the Eclipse goes to South America. Not too sure what will take it's place.

One question. We've only done one Celebrity cruise, but another is coming next month. What do you mean "luggage valet"? We're used to luggage going to stateroom automatically from the shuttle. What is "valet"?

One question. We've only done one Celebrity cruise, but another is coming next month. What do you mean "luggage valet"? We're used to luggage going to stateroom automatically from the shuttle. What is "valet"?

Luggage valet is a service when leaving at the end of the cruise.

For a $25 fee per person plus any airline baggage charges, you leave your suitcase outside your cabin the last night and the next time you see it is at the luggage claim at your home airport.

Not all airlines participate. Domestic USA travel only. Not all ports participate.

Edited by caribill

Thanks for remembering. Here's an update posted by "Celebrity Cruises" on 25 January... Enjoy your Cruise.

We've been asked to vacate by 8AM. This was the same as before. We then can wait in the designated area to disembark. We've used "Luggage Valet" We'll receive the tags on Sat. Good cruise. Food is still an issue, as it's been hit or miss. Chefs on board are responding to complaints & wait staff have told us to direct complaints on the "review" form we'll receive in a few weeks, which we will. We've booked the Jan.21 cruise for next year. Like the idea of Antigua & Dominica(obviously subject to change)

We've been asked to vacate by 8AM. This was the same as before. We then can wait in the designated area to disembark. We've used "Luggage Valet" We'll receive the tags on Sat. Good cruise. Food is still an issue, as it's been hit or miss. Chefs on board are responding to complaints & wait staff have told us to direct complaints on the "review" form we'll receive in a few weeks, which we will. We've booked the Jan.21 cruise for next year. Like the idea of Antigua & Dominica(obviously subject to change)

Thank you.

Thank you, yes that's correct.Saw the "topper" show 2 nights ago. Really jazzy. Fun with decent singing. The food is now getting better. They had the chefs "canvassing" the guests about the many complaints. Portions are bigger(but, I always feel you can ask for extra)Lack of seasoning & variety were my issues. Luminae menus didn't look all that great, for what the suites cost. We're now booked next Jan.21 for 14 days. Hope food is like the past. After that point, the Eclipse goes to South America. Not too sure what will take it's place.

Food at Luminae is fantastic and better than any other venue on the ship including Murano. The service is the best of all venues also. It is the key benefit of Suite class. Our friends in standard cabins stopped going to the MDR and have been paying the upcharge to eat with us in Luminae as they said it is such a dramatic difference in both food and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're really enjoying the food and service in Luminae. However I think it might be fair to say that the descriptions on the menu don't do many of the dishes justice. Which might be why don't appear to sound as good as they actually are.

No issues at all with portion size either!

I was not aware that you could pay an "up-charge" to dine in Luminae if you're not in a suite? My husband and I will be taking out 25th anniversary cruise on Reflection April 15th (CC) but can't quite afford a suite but would love to dine in Luminae. Do you have to "know someone?"

I was not aware that you could pay an "up-charge" to dine in Luminae if you're not in a suite? My husband and I will be taking out 25th anniversary cruise on Reflection April 15th (CC) but can't quite afford a suite but would love to dine in Luminae. Do you have to "know someone?"

Yes, you have to be guest of someone in a suite.

Funny how people are... we were in a suite last week on Silhouette and after the 3rd night ditched Luminae for select dining the MDR. We didn't like the menu or the service in Luminae. And yes, we knew we could get the MDR menu there... but that didn't fix the service issues. I think there were many "new" staff members who came onboard with us. The M'D at Luminae was new... our butler was new... the Michaels Club concierge was new. And it showed. A lot. 'Nuff said.

Usually you have to be guests of someone who is in a suite. We have friends that are going to try it with us on April 15. I really enjoy Blu more than Luminae and so does my DH, mostly because of the soft decor and the food is good too!

Yes, you have to be a guest of someone in a suite and it's on a space available basis.

Funny how people are... we were in a suite last week on Silhouette and after the 3rd night ditched Luminae for select dining the MDR. We didn't like the menu or the service in Luminae. And yes, we knew we could get the MDR menu there... but that didn't fix the service issues. I think there were many "new" staff members who came onboard with us. The M'D at Luminae was new... our butler was new... the Michaels Club concierge was new. And it showed. A lot. 'Nuff said.

My advice would be to try it once and then head for Murano. The tables in Luminae are well spaced, the service is excellent, the menus rather limited and I notice quite a number of people actually ordering from the MDR menu.

Of course, dining is always a question of taste and preference, but I like Luminae for its ambiance and service; food? not so much.

The best deal on X, I continue to maintain, is a good, well priced veranda and specialty dining as often as you can afford it.

We're really enjoying the food and service in Luminae. However I think it might be fair to say that the descriptions on the menu don't do many of the dishes justice. Which might be why don't appear to sound as good as they actually are.

No issues at all with portion size either!

I agree with this. We were put off by some of the menu descriptions when first dining there last year but soon discovered that the dishes were a lot more straightforward and appetizing than the menu let on.

Luggage valet is a service when leaving at the end of the cruise.

For a $25 fee per person plus any airline baggage charges, you leave your suitcase outside your cabin the last night and the next time you see it is at the luggage claim at your home airport.

Not all airlines participate. Domestic USA travel only. Not all ports participate.

Thank you. Since we drive to and from the port, this has no effect for us.

Agree about the Luminae menu descriptions not being as good as the actual dishes. Our waitress would usually tell us what her favorite dish was, and she was right on the money. Only one or two things that I didn't care for overall. It's all very heavy and filling...gets to be a lot if you do it for every meal.

We were on Silhouette last week and we did enjoy Luminae, thought it was a real step up from the MDR. We experienced pretty good service, much better than MRcruzr. Most of the dishes were good to excellent, although I did get one fish entree that was overcooked. But one thing we noticed -- the portions seemed closer to what you'd expect in a land based restaurant. One appetizer, one entree and of course a dessert were plenty for us, unlike the MDR where we would usually order more than 1 appetizer/soup/salad plus a main course. Just an observation.

Having just gotten home, I will do a full review over the next few days.

Having just gotten home, I will do a full review over the next few days.

I was also on the 1/22 Eclipse Sailing. I am looking forward to your full review.

I found the food in the MDR to be mostly overcooked, heavy in sauces or prepared well in advance then heat lamped more than I remember from past cruises. In one instance, the plate, 1/2 small scoop of mashed potatoes and vegetable were hotter than the salmon.

There were some very good exceptions for me but they were far fewer than they had been. I felt that the food was prepared by cooks and not chefs.