Princess transfers in Whittier?

sprinkles

Hi all,

Planning on our own post-cruise travel after the Coral in May. I'm having a hard time trying to find transportation to Anchorage from Whittier (the only train leaves at 6:45pm). Anyone ever taken the Princess transfers as an independant traveler. I called Princess and they said they drop you off in a hospitality kinda area (he couldn't expound) where they have taxi's and what-not available. I am starting to think that this will be the way for us to go. Then take a taxi from wherever they drop us off to the car-rental agency (at the airport). I'm wondering if we could get a Princess transfer from the ship directly to the airport? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tammy

You may want to ask this on the Alaska board - it is pretty active over there and I am sure you will get your question answered.

Just a couple of comments - there is an Avis office in Whittier but it does have a large drop off fee. You are probably better off taking the shuttle to Anchorage. I believe Princess will drop people off at either the Egan Center (hospitality center in downtown Anchorage) or at the airport. Definitely ask at the Alaska board on this to be sure.

We took the Princess transfer in May 05 after doing our own touring. We did the reverse - flew into ANC, toured, then caught the transfer to Whittier from the airport.

I feel almost confident that you can go directly to the airport with the Princess transfer, but if you are dropped at the Hospitality Center - it is in the middle of downtown ANC and you will be fine.

Hotels are plentiful in ANC on priceline, but there are no zones so you can end up anywhere in the city. We ended up using other alternatives for hotels in ANC.

As Coral suggested, go check out the Alaska board - they are always there and happy to have newcomers! Lots of great info there!

Yes you can get a Princess bus transfer to the airport which would be my recommendation. Plenty of car rentals there, including, Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar, plus the majors. Allow enough time for interior travel, a common mistake people make underestimating. Be aware that the Fish Creek Shuttle into Denali Park does not start until June 1, my min. recommendation distance in, so perhaps consider your planning with that in mind.

If you don't have at least a week and want to include Seward (not to be missed) and Denali Park, a far better use of time would be to consider the one way Whittier/Anchorage car rental Avis. Then you would go directly to Seward rather than wasting time back tracking.

The drop off with Princess transfers downtown is at the Egan Center.

Archived