?long waits for ATD reported by Ruby cruisers impacted by decreased interest in trad?

vmom

I think the only way to resolve all of the issues mentioned in this thread, and unfortunately it's not viable I assume, is to add more MDR capacity so all of those that want to eat early can do so.

I'm being a bit facetious. When my parents cruised, oh so many years ago (60's thru 90's) it was much more common for folks to choose to dine at 8:00. My folks always did and they weren't "party animals". ;) They would have never considered the early option. It just wasn't part of their expectation of what the cruising experience should be.

This is not a judgmental observation, just a recognition that things have changed. We always select ATD when available and go to dinner at 8:00 or later and rarely have to wait for a table. Plus we always get a table for two.

For us eating later is part of our cruise experience. However, I realize and respect that is a sentiment not shared by many (as in a majority) of cruisers.

Therefore, unless capacity can be increased for those wanting an early dinner, the lines will persist regardless of any other tweeks they may make to the current system.

Just my two cents. :)

Just completed on our 7th Princess cruise, used ATD on all of them.

Our just completed Ruby cruise was the first cruise where we barely waited for a table. Our 'trick' was to arrive 15 minutes after ATD opened in the MDR that switches from Assigned to ATD. We did not have reservations.

The only MDR wait we did encounter was for breakfast. We were able to 'jump' the line because we're willing to share a table.

Edited by SadieN

Just completed on our 7th Princess cruise, used ATD on all of them.

Our just completed Ruby cruise was the first cruise where we barely waited for a table. Our 'trick' was to arrive 15 minutes after ATD opened in the MDR that switches from Assigned to ATD. We did not have reservations.

The only MDR wait we did encounter was for breakfast. We were able to 'jump' the line because we're willing to share a table.

Good to hear especially when reading about all the delays when people arrive after 6 PM.

Maybe someone can clear this up. I'm honeymooning on the Royal in August and would really like to eat dinner with my fiancée/wife every night alone. We currently have a table for 2 requested at the 8:30 dining but of course princess doesn't guarantee a table for two.

Would doing ATD and just requesting a table for two be the best route?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe someone can clear this up. I'm honeymooning on the Royal in August and would really like to eat dinner with my fiancée/wife every night alone. We currently have a table for 2 requested at the 8:30 dining but of course princess doesn't guarantee a table for two.

If you stay with anytime dining there's no guarantee that they'll give you a reserved table for 2 in that time slot.

You'll be better off with late traditional dining and making your request.

On Royal and Regal there tend to be more tables for two than on the older ships. I suspect that you will not have a problem. Especially if you list your honeymoon as a special event you are celebrating.

All but one of my Princess cruises have been TD.I like have the same waiter and helper on my long cruises.They get to know your likes and dislikes.No worries about having to join a line up .Also get to know ones dinner table mates and we talk about our days activities and because we know one another can enjoy a little laughter.Maybe I am a creature that likes same routines......boring me.........;):D

The lines for at dining on the Ruby were massive at 7.30 to 8.00, after and before almost zero wait. My guess is that almost all pax onboard were American and that they generally don't like to eat late. The dining rooms even closed at 9.30 which is unusual. On cruises with a mix of European pax they generally like to dine later, this spreads the dining rush more evenly.

The lines for at dining on the Ruby were massive at 7.30 to 8.00, after and before almost zero wait. My guess is that almost all pax onboard were American and that they generally don't like to eat late. The dining rooms even closed at 9.30 which is unusual. On cruises with a mix of European pax they generally like to dine later, this spreads the dining rush more evenly.

Like everything else it depends on the itin, sail date and passengers.

All of our Princess cruises have been either winter/spring 3, 7, 9 or 10 day cruises out of Los Angeles.

If you go to dinner at 8:30 I can almost guarantee you won't have a wait for a table for two in ATD. We never go before 8:00 and often later and almost never have to wait more than a couple minutes, usually not at all. At 8:30 there won't be a wait, especially if you're sailing from a U.S. port.

people sign up for TD and never or rarely go. They go to ATD because it is convenient for their schedule. Last year on Ruby the lines for ATD were terrible. Tried to call in AM for reservation: 5:30 or 7:30 every day.

We now opt for TD as this whole experience drove me to the Sp rest this year........that ATD has been a mess INHO, unless you eat later!

people sign up for TD and never or rarely go.

Around 50% of passengers on a Princess cruise are new to Princess.

Their Travel Agent may not explain all the dining options and just simpley ask if they want to eat early or late. Then they get assigned to 1st or 2nd seating and may not show up at the dining room at all.

Someone once posted that a new cruiser ate in the buffet for every meal because he/she thought the dining room was extra charge for every meal.

Around 50% of passengers on a Princess cruise are new to Princess.

Their Travel Agent may not explain all the dining options and just simpley ask if they want to eat early or late. Then they get assigned to 1st or 2nd seating and may not show up at the dining room at all.

Someone once posted that a new cruiser ate in the buffet for every meal because he/she thought the dining room was extra charge for every meal.

On the Ruby they did ask to see your cruise card to make sure you were on anytime

It did stop towards the end of the cruise

We are just off Royal, had ATD, & the first two nights WAITED ABOUT 30-40 minutes when arriving at about 7pm. Thereafter we arrived about 6:30ish & had little or no wait. We always. Ask to share, which usually speeds things up, but one night were told sharing would be an hour wait, while a two top was immediate.

On our sailing, Symphony DR on 5 was ATD, Concerto DR on 6 was traditional early, and ATD after 7:30. The Allegro on 6 was traditional early & late.

Just a thought, but one reason that early starts at 5:30 may be due to conversion to anytime after 7:30, but if early was at 6, they feel that starting ADT at 8 would be too late? I agree that 5:30 is too early to start dinner. I'm old, but not that old!

BTW, off topic, but Alfredo's is a great alternative to the dining rooms!

We are just off Royal, had ATD, & the first two nights WAITED ABOUT 30-40 minutes when arriving at about 7pm. Thereafter we arrived about 6:30ish & had little or no wait. We always. Ask to share, which usually speeds things up, but one night were told sharing would be an hour wait, while a two top was immediate.

On our sailing, Symphony DR on 5 was ATD, Concerto DR on 6 was traditional early, and ATD after 7:30. The Allegro on 6 was traditional early & late.

Just a thought, but one reason that early starts at 5:30 may be due to conversion to anytime after 7:30, but if early was at 6, they feel that starting ADT at 8 would be too late? I agree that 5:30 is too early to start dinner. I'm old, but not that old!

BTW, off topic, but Alfredo's is a great alternative to the dining rooms!

I think that's the first time I've ever heard that tables for 2 were seating quicker.:D

On the Ruby they did ask to see your cruise card to make sure you were on anytime

It did stop towards the end of the cruise

On the Emerald last May at the ATD, our waiter always asked our group of 6 for our cabin no. and wrote it down. This happened every night while having dessert. We guessed if it was to confirm if we were ATD which they could do before entering. Or verify if we removed the daily auto gratuities which they could do just on the last day. When we asked the waiter fo the reason, he just replied that they were just asked to do it for everyone. We have not experienced it before on the Emerald before and in all other Princess ships.