Recommendations for Sea Sick

The sea bands changed my life. I wear them the entire cruise and they have made a huge difference in get sea sick. I even use them in cars, buses, etc. They need to fit securely on the pressure points. I also use a chewable ginger candy and they also help quiet my tummy. I do not like the scaloppine patches at all. For me way to hard on the body.

And as others have mentioned location of your cabin in also important. Good luck.

I also use the Meclizine. I start it the night before the cruise and take it nightly if the seas are rough. If the seas are calm, I skip it. I also bring Ginger Mints that Trader Joe's sells.

Earlier this month I didn't take the Meclizine and the seas were getting rough on my way to breakfast so I took the Meclizine and a ginger mint and felt fine. I used to use the Scopolamine patch, but it affected my vision and made my mouth dry all the time. I stopped using them because of the side effects.

I do have a few drinks while taking Meclizine and haven't had any problems. I wouldn't travel without it. Good luck.

I love Motion Eaze. $4.86 at Walmart. It is 100% natural oils, no side affects (like drowsiness or dry mouth) and you can still have a drink! It is a small bottle that can easily go into a pocket and carried around the ship. You put a drop behind your ears if you feel sea sick and, for me, it works. Happy Cruising

If the Dramamine doesnt work for you then I doubt the Bonnie will either. They work the same way except Bonine lasts longer and supposedly doesnt make you as drowsy but its not any more effective.

But they are totally different drugs*, and different drugs work differently on different people.

*unless you're talking about the less drowsy Dramamine, in which case it's the same drug as Bonine.

Bonnie works great. My Dr gave me the perscription version of it when I suffered from vertigo. The key is to not wait until you are really sick to take it.

People say this but then (even in this thread) others say how fast it works if you take it while sick. So I would wait. I don't like drugging myself unless it's needed.

This thread hits close to home since I too suffer from seasickness. I have had really good luck with a combination of Bonine (meclizine) and MotionEaze. I buy the MotionEaze on Amazon since I can't seem to find it in my local stores. As others have stated, the key to Bonine is to start taking it BEFORE nausea hits. Once you are feeling seasick, it is honestly too late. Only sleep will help you then, my friend.

I take one Bonine tablet (chewable) per day for a couple of days leading up to the trip to get it in my system, then I take one in the morning, and another one at night, each day of the cruise. I apply MotionEaze throughout the day as a precaution as well. I know I might be overdoing it, but seasickness is honestly one of the worst feelings ever. Give me a migraine over that type of nausea ANY DAY.

FWIW, we tried the green apple trick when we cruised last October - hurricane season makes for rough seas, even without an active hurricane we discovered! :( - and it honestly was impossible to choke down any food, let alone an apple which requires a bit of "chewing". Ginger ale and sleep are the only thing that helped me on the worst night.

Otherwise, Bonine and MotionEaze ROCK! I drink a moderate amount on vacations (hellllooooo drink package!:D) so being able to mix the two is somewhat important to me.

This thread hits close to home since I too suffer from seasickness. I have had really good luck with a combination of Bonine (meclizine) and MotionEaze. I buy the MotionEaze on Amazon since I can't seem to find it in my local stores. As others have stated, the key to Bonine is to start taking it BEFORE nausea hits. Once you are feeling seasick, it is honestly too late. Only sleep will help you then, my friend.

I take one Bonine tablet (chewable) per day for a couple of days leading up to the trip to get it in my system, then I take one in the morning, and another one at night, each day of the cruise. I apply MotionEaze throughout the day as a precaution as well. I know I might be overdoing it, but seasickness is honestly one of the worst feelings ever. Give me a migraine over that type of nausea ANY DAY.

FWIW, we tried the green apple trick when we cruised last October - hurricane season makes for rough seas, even without an active hurricane we discovered! :( - and it honestly was impossible to choke down any food, let alone an apple which requires a bit of "chewing". Ginger ale and sleep are the only thing that helped me on the worst night.

Otherwise, Bonine and MotionEaze ROCK! I drink a moderate amount on vacations (hellllooooo drink package!:D) so being able to mix the two is somewhat important to me.

Thank you!! I was just thinking "Can I do both Bonine and MotionEase! Glad you can mix the two. I think I will try this approach! Thanks for all the comments!! Happy Cruising All!! :D:D

But they are totally different drugs*, and different drugs work differently on different people.

*unless you're talking about the less drowsy Dramamine, in which case it's the same drug as Bonine.

Sort of. What i mean is that Dramamine and bonine work the same way. They are both antihistamines. They do the same thing to your brain, except bonine has less potency and longer latency. But they are the same class of drug. If one doesn't work for someone whatsoever, then it's doubtful the other will. But not impossible, especially since bonine lasts longer and you don't have to keep taking it. They are like drug "cousins". Although like I said before, I think if the OP started taking one of these before the cruise and throughout they may have a better result.

Other methods are totally different, like ginger pills try and calm the stomach. the transderm Scop patch is an anticholinergic agent. It works by blocking transmission of impulses at nerve sites in the gastrointestinal tract and the vomiting center.

Edited by jetta8300

I love Motion Eaze. $4.86 at Walmart. It is 100% natural oils, no side affects (like drowsiness or dry mouth) and you can still have a drink! It is a small bottle that can easily go into a pocket and carried around the ship. You put a drop behind your ears if you feel sea sick and, for me, it works. Happy Cruising

While there might not be side effects like dry mouth and drowsiness, people should be aware of the ingredients. The natural oils that are used are botanicals.

What are the ingredients?

Motioneaze is all natural. It is made from a proprietary Botanical Oil Blend [Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh, Ylang-Ylang and Birch].

I know that I would have issues with those ingredients.

Thanks for mall your suggestions. I didn't realize it helped to take the meds a few days before. I will try the Bonine. Has anyone ever used the sea bands? Did they work?

I am super sensitive to motion in a car, plane and boat. Went out of Galveston in Janurary and we hit ROUGH water. I used sea bands and ginger for most of the cruise. I worse the sea bands the day/night before the cruise and took ginger before and throughout the cruise. I had ginger candy too. I also suffer from anxiety and was told to nibble on children's benedryl to calm nerve and stomach. I bought children's benedryl and would take a quarter or a chewable tablet through out the day. Never sick, never drowsy except for 2 hours during the roughest part of the rough sea day.

I would recommend that if you do decide to try Bonnine or other medications to try it out days/week before you cruise. I am glad I experimented prior to the cruise because I found out I was allergic to it. Not something you want to happen when you are at sea.

I've used all of what's been previously mentioned...at one time or another!

I take sea bands on every cruise. I start the generic form of Bonine 3 nights before a cruise: took the first one last night for cruise departing 2/5 with a flight the day before, that's why technically 4 days before. Not only does that get it into my system, it helps with sleep right now as I keep running lists of last moment items to pack, along with excitement about the cruise--LOL

I carry the chewable Bonine while on the ship so I don't require any liquids to swallow them. I rarely take a whole one during the daytime. As little as 1/4 tends to keep any motion sickness at bay; and means I can take little bits throughout the day to stave off illness but not get (too) drowsy (yes, even those non/less drowsy formulations make me sleepy!)