Ncl's "invitation to bid program" is a joke!

bakerman

The information you provided is the same I have read. One thing that I have concluded is that the bidding upgrades program will not start until February 8. Is that the way you read It?

Also, on NCL's TERMS AND CONDITIONS paper, item 3 says: ". First, as a prerequisite to the ability to make an Offer, you must receive an invitation (“Invitation”) from Norwegian Cruise Line. Sending an Invitation to anyone and at any time is entirely within Norwegian Cruise Line’s sole discretion."

So, I'm not going to fret about getting an upgrade opportunity until I get an offer from NCL, sometime after February 8.

This contract states the choice to use a TA is mine but I'm bound to NCL contract, terms and for payment. No where does it state I must continue future transactions with a TA that made the original booking. The idea that they are protection commission for the TA makes no sense as all the other things I have purchased from NCL pre cruise is commission free. If the TA made more $$ fine, but I'm ok if the upgrade was commission free too if I did the bidding.

It seems clear from NCL's announcement to its travel partners that TAs earn commission on (winning) bids. That's the whole motivation for them to opt in and participate in the program.

You are correct that the customer is bound by NCL's terms, but if they book with a TA they are bound by the TA's terms, too. For a long time, it was always the case that you had to continue going through your TA for things like fare modifications and stateroom upgrades after the initial booking. NCL would not talk to you about that. More recently, with the upsell line, people started being able to bypass their TA and negotiate directly with NCL, and I'm sure TAs were not pleased that customers were starting to deliberately book cheaper cabins with them, only to give more money directly to NCL at the last minute for the higher category that they wanted all along.

The first cut of who gets it is based on the yield management system. The system determines which of the already booked cabins could probably be sold/resold for the most dollars. Passengers in those cabins then get the bid offer (same as upsells). The difference is now more people might get the offer to bid, but only X number will win. So if there is demand for insides on your cruise, and you have an inside, you may get an offer. Invites here could be for multiple categories up.

The second cut is a 'fill' cut. This is where they look to fill higher priced cabins that may otherwise go empty to see if they can squeeze some extra income and get people used to higher cabins in the future. As I understand it, this is offered to people one cat down (balcony<-oceanview) as an example, without the expectation of resale of original cabin (except as upgrades from below). How they pick who, no clue.. These invites will generally only be for one category.

Third cut is based on a proprietary formula and looks at passengers fares paid, status, on board spend history etc. This group may get offers to bid multiple categories up.

Mathematically speaking, the system is much fairer than the old system. The people it screws are those who booked a lower class then they wanted, knowing by working the system they could bump up for generally a lower overall rate. Which is completely fine by the cruise line as that does not maximize revenue (which is part of their job)

Hey Bakerman. I feel your pain. I'm on the same cruise with you. I booked through a TA (Big Three Credit Card Co that begins with an A). I checked with them and they said they have not opted out of the program and do get upgrade advantage emails for NCL for some of their customers but also noted it is more the exception vs the rule. I called NCL and they tried to play it off on the TA. Oddly, they could not tell me if my TA was opted in or out nor could they transfer me to a department that could. Big red flag that NCL customer service really doesn't know what is going on. Called second time, and got a whole different story about it being more randomly selected. But at least the friendly customer service agent admitted it is new to them as well and they are now sure either.

I do know is NCL outsources the whole thing and the NCL customer service seems as lost as we are on the process. There is no customer service for the outsource company or the upgrade program (upsell # does not handle). I tried to post a similar question on here specifically to see if anyone had sucess with my TA and of course someone just sent me the T&Cs and did not answer the question posted.

NCL T&Cs which basically say you must get an invite and they will send it to whoever they chose. What is not clear is how they determine who gets the right to bid.

I have a few guesses on what is going on:

1) It might be for those who book directly with them vs TA. Like the airlines, this may be a way to get people to book directly with them and reduce commissions paid to the TA. More $$ for their bottom line. They seem to like to play the TA against the customer. Why the TA is even involved in this post sale opportunity is beyond me. The rest of their precruise sales is TA free (excursions, food, drink, internet, etc) As the actual customer, NCL has not realized they are doing harm to their relationship with the customer. It is possible that this is part of their agreement with the TA but none of us are privy to that relationship. (Side note - I dont think the previous upsell # was based on TA participation).

2) It might be if you are latitude (post first cruise) you get preference to bid for upgrades. However, this is not listed as a Latitude benefit but does make some sense from a business perspective (incentive for return cruisers).

3) It might be based on available inventory and those who "could" upgrade into the available inventory. This may also be based on what inventory that might be freed up and and is easier to sell closer to sail date. In other words, I did not get an invite because the class I could upgrade to is not available the class I'm in would not sell quickly. For me this does not appear to be the case - my class has one room left and there are 12 rooms available for the class above me.

4) Pragmatic view - This is new to NCL and they are simply learning along the way. They are using a new vendor, changing staff roles (upsell dept) and there is a lot of disinformation out there. Certainly the T&Cs clearly show that they are committing to nothing so the NCL agents cant use it to help answer questions.

Thoughts for NCL:

1) Stop blaming this on the TAs. Last time I checked, my credit card was charged by NCL for the cruise and I'm agreeing to the NCL "Guest Ticket Contract". This contract states the choice to use a TA is mine but I'm bound to NCL contract, terms and for payment. No where does it state I must continue future transactions with a TA that made the original booking. The idea that they are protection commission for the TA makes no sense as all the other things I have purchased from NCL pre cruise is commission free. If the TA made more $$ fine, but I'm ok if the upgrade was commission free too if I did the bidding.

2) Br transparent. I don't think ANYONE on this board has been able to provide concrete information on "how" NCL determines who is eligible to bid and how the process is executed. (please please please don't refer me to the T&Cs again). NCL should look to the airlines. They provide a really clear understanding of who is eligible, when you can upgrade, the pecking order, how many are in front of you in the upgrade list (to get upgrade) and even options to boost your chances (by following the clear information provided). They provide clear numbers or seats available etc.

3) Communicate clearly. They should add this feature to MyNCL. They should add ALL communications to the MyNCL. I would love to know if I'm eligible to upgrade or my status. Many people have reported that these emails end up in spam. I have also realized the lack of communications from NCL on my upcoming cruise (19 days out). The one or two emails I did get are not in my message center in the portal.

In the end, we are all seeking information and advice on this board. On this one I decided it was not worth my time to place another call. Did it make me have a little bit of a negative impression of NCL - sure a little. Decided to not let it bother me or ruin my vacation. I'm keeping the money in my pocket and will spend it other ways on the vacation (maybe with NCL maybe not). I'm just happy that I have a vacation starting in a few weeks! This will be my first NCL cruise. Hopeful NCL will win me over and keep me coming back to their line vs others.

See you in a few weeks Bakerman. 19 days from now you will have something cold and frosty in your hand and the warmth of the Florida and Caribbean sun - all will be forgotten. :-)

Let it go.

I've cruised NCL many times, Platinum, and in the last 5 years only in the Haven suites. I've only gotten one upsell call. Let me tell you how it went.

I was booked already in a Haven 2 bedroom suite probably around 9k I'd already paid them in full. I get the upsell call....."Oh we want to give you this great opportunity to upsell into the Garden Villa". I get really excited because I've been on this message board for a decade I know about the Garden villa and upsells! She tells me that for $10k I can upsell into the Garden Villa. I say....."So I've already paid 9k, you want me to pay another 10k (19k total) for this upsell.........what?

OK, no. That is no deal. And February is a tricky month. There are a couple weeks in February (the last 2 weeks) that the New England schools have off school for February break all week and the cruise ships run full capacity. It's actually a very popular time to cruise and the upsell opportunities aren't as available.

I upsold to Garden Villa 2 months ago on Dawn 2k first 2 guests 3 and 4 free. Total cost for six 1k each. Best deal and cruise of a life time

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Phillyguy31 - I did call upsell in early December and was told the Getaway was under the new upgrade advantage system and there was nothing they could do. Not for lack of trying or calling the same places noted in these forums. Besides myself, there are plenty of other posts and threads stating the same experiences. There are others thrilled with the experience. I think my point was that there are many inconsistencies and lack of official information from NCL. I'm sincerely happy it worked out for you and you had a different experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked through a travel agent and received the option to bid for my February 18th sailing on the Escape. It showed two different Haven options to bid on. I decided to log on to NCL to see what the cabins are currently priced at it shows them sold out yet I can still go in and bid on them. I am assuming as things sell out maybe they are not updating the bidding site.

Depending on timing, they assume a certain amount of last minute cancellations, etc. If no cabins open, they just won't accept any bids.

I booked through a travel agent and received the option to bid for my February 18th sailing on the Escape. It showed two different Haven options to bid on. I decided to log on to NCL to see what the cabins are currently priced at it shows them sold out yet I can still go in and bid on them. I am assuming as things sell out maybe they are not updating the bidding site.

• 1 month later...
Let me first say I have been on over 11 cruise's in the last 9 years and have enjoyed them all. Recently booked a ncl getaway in july 2016 and had a great time.wonderful ship very impressed. We booked another cruise for feb 2017 and we have heard about there "invitation to bid program" .seen on forums here where people were bidding and getting fantastic upgrades for a nominal fair. I had not received any word so called out travel agent who said she did not know anything about it and would check it out. Well I just took the matter on myself and contacted NCL today to be told that the travel agencys are not part of that program and was told in a round about way we should have booked directly thru them. VERY DISAPPOINTED!

I have booked cruises with competitors and always got a call at some point to upgrade if cabins were available even though I booked thru travel agency.I guess they dont think that the travel agents are thier friends anymore and I hope the agencies start recommending other linee. I know I sure will so much for my Latitudes points thats a JOKE.

Its a shame that my money is not the same as someone elses and this is the last time we book with NCL. Back to Royal and carnival for us.:mad:

I booked my NCL cruise for March 26th with a travel agent and got many emails from NCL to bid on an upgrade. I went through the process and updated my bid several times. I really wanted a Haven upgrade and did not like the blind bidding process and the fact that I wouldn't know until TODAY if I got the upgrade, so I ended up biting the bullet and just paying extra for the cabin I wanted.

TA's make their own choice whether or not to participate. Bidding wasn't a thing when I booked with my TA but when I found out about it here, I was looking forward to maybe having the chance to upgrade to something extra special for our 10th anniversary cruise. Just found out today by calling NCL's upsell line that my TA has opted out. Actually, I'm kind of relieved since I won't be looking for the offer now and don't have to follow threads about what bids might or might not be accepted. Obviously, I booked the cabin I wanted in the first place.

I've taken about a dozen cruises on different lines and never got an upsell call ever. Can't see why anyone would be upset that they don't have a chance to bid unless they didn't book the cabin they wanted in the first place and were hoping to get a deal through upgrade bids. That's a gamble. I think NCL should make the offer available to all pax but not sure if that is even possible. Since the program is still in the very early stages of being rolled out, maybe eventually that will happen. Right now, all I see are people worked up over whether or not their bid is accepted, frustrated that they aren't eligible to bid or happy that their bid was accepted...3 days before the cruise. Mostly the first two so far!

Maybe if the TAs hear enough complaints from their customers or actually lose business to other TAs who are participating, things will change. Right now it's all so new...

Edited by Buttwig

This thread was posted during the pilot program period. Since that time, NCL has moved bidding totally online, no longer requiring TA to handle upgrade emails. 80 days before cruise, you get a banner on your MyNCL page to bid (note, all ships are still not part of the bidding program and you still have to call the upsell dept if you want an upsel).

4537b4bce2ebc12cabfe8b105569fe6a.jpg

Even the though bidding is online, because I booked with a TA who opted out, I'm still not eligible to bid. This was just confirmed a couple hours ago with NCL - I called the upsell line to inquire about it since I hadn't received any offer to bid yet - 65 days out. No banner at 80 days and still none for me on the NCL site. Your information isn't quite correct, BirdTravels.

So here's something interesting....my husband and I booked with another couple to travel April 1st. We all literally booked at the same TA at the exact same time. We received an offer to upgrade they did not......they contacted NCL and were told no they weren't eligible :confused:

Always amazes me the issues that cause people to slam their fists on their keyboards while yelling from the top of their lungs "I'M DONE", despite the fact they have enjoyed every single cruise.

Now, maybe if it was a broken hot tub... :rolleyes:

Oh I remember that post it was hysterical

Hmmm... When I book a cruise, I book the best room I can afford, anything after that's a bonus. NCL isn't to blame for this. Get what you want the first time and don't depend on an upgrade or freebie.

Book the cabin you can afford and makes you happy. Don't rely on NCL to pry more money out of you when you really need to stay within your budget, If you want a suite cruise less. If you want to cruise more often and stay in your budget choose a lesser cabin. NCL is dangling the carrot hoping someone will bite and fill their pockets with new found revenue. Overall it is a great marketing idea..

My TA seems to be participating, but my biggest gripe is that I can't pick the cabin I want. I always could with the Upsell dept. If I didn't care about the cabin, I'd just book a last minute guaranteed. No way am I paying extra for a mystery cabin.

I'm also booked with a TA that has evidently opted out. (although the TA told me it was NCL blocking my abilty to upgrade, because of the 'special rate' I received. Hmmm).

I am perfectly happy with my cabin, but would certainly enjoy the Haven if I could get it for less than rack rates. I just don't get it, why wouldn't the TA/ NCL want more money? it makes no sense. Unless NCL is not sharing the extra revenue with TAs? or sharing at a lower margin?

I'm also booked with a TA that has evidently opted out. (although the TA told me it was NCL blocking my abilty to upgrade, because of the 'special rate' I received. Hmmm).

I am perfectly happy with my cabin, but would certainly enjoy the Haven if I could get it for less than rack rates. I just don't get it, why wouldn't the TA/ NCL want more money? it makes no sense. Unless NCL is not sharing the extra revenue with TAs? or sharing at a lower margin?

Any chance the TA that offered that "special rate" put you into a group? I think group rates may be excluded from the opportunity to bid.