Advice on Nassau excursions

MissMarmalade

Hello, I am a new member to the forum and my sister and I will be going on our first cruise without the parents. We booked a 4 day cruise on carnival liberty to the Bahamas in November. We're thinking about doing a snorkeling/beach excursion in Nassau. Any recommended sites to book or certain excursions? We've never been to Nassau so we are looking forward to it.

A guidebook from your library will really help you plan your shore days! You might find you don't even NEED an "excursion" to do what interests you! (Guidebooks are in the "reference" section of your library)

Edited by cb at sea

Hello, I am a new member to the forum and my sister and I will be going on our first cruise without the parents. We booked a 4 day cruise on carnival liberty to the Bahamas in November. We're thinking about doing a snorkeling/beach excursion in Nassau. Any recommended sites to book or certain excursions? We've never been to Nassau so we are looking forward to it.

We've been to Nassau numerous times and have done the diving/snorkeling/beach thing and liked it (in fact, we're doing a day pass at Breeze's next week). But if you would like to try a couple of "off-the-beaten-path" things to do, you might try walking to Arawak Cay (also called Fish Fry) and having lunch. There are quite a few choices and all seem to specialize in Conch dishes. We ate at Oh Andros and loved it. Locals eat here and the portions are huge! Warning: hawkers outside can be pretty insistent on getting you into their particular place. The other is TruBahamian Food and History Walking Tour. You're in a small group (there were 12 in ours) and you walk to six different venues over the course of about three hours, trying a different authentic Bahamian specialty at each place. Lots of history, too. Anyway, if you're looking for something different....

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

You might want to check out the excursions offered by your ship to see if there is one you & your sister would enjoy. ;)

We will be going in April. I have signed up for an excursion to Rose Island through Sandy Toes. They have snorkeling and private beach area with, what looks like, a fun bar. I will post a review when we get back!!!!

Michelle

thank you everyone for the advice! we've decided to book a day pass for the melia resort. just one more question maybe anyone could answer for me.... does the resort offer locker rentals? thank you :)

I was just at Melia in November and no locker rentals. I brought a KYSS bag and just locked it to our 2 lounge chairs when we went swimming etc.

Would someone be able to answer a few additional questions about the Melia Day Pass?

Why did you pick Melia verses all of the other options, Hilton, Breezes, Blue Lagoon or other excursions?

How far from port?

Walk, or taxi? and cost of taxi approx.

Cost of day pass per Person?

Thank you in advance. Goodness we are just looking to have some beach time in Nassau. Maybe hit Sr. Frogs for a quick drink then back to the ship without paying 300.00usd for 3 people for a boat ride to Blue Lagoon or Balmoral island

I've been looking into the melia resort day pass and one website is charging $45 per adult. That price includes free use of the beach, pools and lounge chairs. Also I've heard they have free wifi in the lobby if that pleases anyone. But the melia is cheaper than the other resorts. I've read that the hilton is $60 per person but includes a lunch voucher. What we plan to do is eat a nice breakfast on ship then maybe if we're hungry later on get something to eat at the Starbucks in the lobby.

Transportation I've read there's a #10 jitney by port that costs $1.25 per person each way and will stop at the melia resort.

From images on google the melia resort looks stunning. This will be my first time going to the resort and we are so excited!

*Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on anything I've said above

Would someone be able to answer a few additional questions about the Melia Day Pass?

Why did you pick Melia verses all of the other options, Hilton, Breezes, Blue Lagoon or other excursions?

It looked beautiful in the pictures and many recommended it

How far from port?

About 10 or 15 minutes

Walk, or taxi? and cost of taxi approx.

Definitely taxi or #10 bus. We took taxi and it was $21

Cost of day pass per Person?

$60 per person on carribbean day pass . com

Thank you in advance. Goodness we are just looking to have some beach time in Nassau. Maybe hit Sr. Frogs for a quick drink then back to the ship without paying 300.00usd for 3 people for a boat ride to Blue Lagoon or Balmoral island

We are going back to Nassau in November but honestly think I may try somewhere else. When I booked the Melia it was advertised as including lunch which it changed to a Starbucks beverage. It was beautiful but for $60 I think I might be able to find something that offers more.

Thanks for the answers.....

Looking into breezes tomorrow as an option also. It's Either Melia or Breezes.

Hilton is mehhh to me.

If you choose Breezes please come back and let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Edited by chellebells
typos

Thank you![/quote

I would be happy to. Still on the fence about Nassau independent beach location. I am trying to get over the fact that all cabanas are sold out in Half Moon Cay----if only Carnival hid a few cabanas for dreamers like me.

Thank you!

We purchased a day-pass for Breezes and were there on Saturday. It was nice and not too crowded (but DW and I suspect that was because it looked like Saturday is "turn-over" day). Even though it wasn't too crowded, all the straw-roofed cabanas were reserved - probably by full-time guests. Don't know if it's routine, but on that day, there was a lot of seaweed washing up on the beach. Staff was raking, trying to keep ahead of it, but that was a losing battle. Water was quite chilly, so it didn't matter. Lunch outdoors was the usual cheeseburgs, hot dogs, fries and conch fritters. Good, but not Guy's. There is also an indoor buffet which offers more variety. Bartenders don't skimp on the pours. We brought our Carnival 12 oz Tervis tumblers and they were happy to mix the drinks directly in them. Took the #10 bus from downtown Nassau. $1.75. Don't forget to tell the driver that you are going to Breezes. We almost passed it before we spoke up :eek:. Anyway, a very pleasant day.

We purchased a day-pass for Breezes and were there on Saturday. It was nice and not too crowded (but DW and I suspect that was because it looked like Saturday is "turn-over" day). Even though it wasn't too crowded, all the straw-roofed cabanas were reserved - probably by full-time guests. Don't know if it's routine, but on that day, there was a lot of seaweed washing up on the beach. Staff was raking, trying to keep ahead of it, but that was a losing battle. Water was quite chilly, so it didn't matter. Lunch outdoors was the usual cheeseburgs, hot dogs, fries and conch fritters. Good, but not Guy's. There is also an indoor buffet which offers more variety. Bartenders don't skimp on the pours. We brought our Carnival 12 oz Tervis tumblers and they were happy to mix the drinks directly in them. Took the #10 bus from downtown Nassau. $1.75. Don't forget to tell the driver that you are going to Breezes. We almost passed it before we spoke up :eek:. Anyway, a very pleasant day.

Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

We stop in Coco Cay then Nassau. However there is a possibility that Coco Cay could be skipped if seas are rough. So I am considering something like Melia in Nassau if that happens (otherwise we'll just walk around the port). Where can it be booked and can I do it from the ship the day before?