Juneau whale watching & Mendenhall Glacier NP

mom02

We would like to do a whale watching tour with Harv & Marv or some other independent company, but also want to stop at Mendenhall Glacier to hike Nugget Falls. With Harv & Marv no longer dropping off at Mendenhall Glacier, what's the best way to plan our transportation?

In the past, we've taken the blue (or was it white?) shuttle bus to/from Mendenhall Glacier. However, these shuttles no longer offer one way tickets. Because of the location of Auke Bay Harbor to Mendenhall Glacier, we'd rather not have to go back to downtown Juneau to take the round trip shuttles. Is there a way around this??

We have 9 people including 2 small children (preschool & 1st grade), so I'm not even sure how a taxi situation would work. Do you think we're stuck with the back and forth drive to downtown Juneau?

R/T tickets for 9 on the shuttle is $270+. Yikes !

Are you sure they don't offer one-way transfers ? Contact both companies to verify. I know they raised their rates last yr to include the Forest Service Fee, but I don't recall that they discontinued one-way travel.

http://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/land-tours

http://www.juneautours.com/book-a-tour/details/33355/glacier-shuttle/

Juneau has a lot of taxi vans. Call a few taxi vendors to see if you will fit into 2 cabs. Rather than backtrack to the cruise pier, you can arrange for taxis to pick you up at Auke Bay which is much closer to Mendenhall. I'm not sure of the cost. Then reserve another cab ride back to the pier (about $35).

Evergreen taxi is one company ... others are listed on the town web site.

R/T tickets for 9 on the shuttle is $270+. Yikes !

Are you sure they don't offer one-way transfers ? Contact both companies to verify. I know they raised their rates last yr to include the Forest Service Fee, but I don't recall that they discontinued one-way travel.

http://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/land-tours

http://www.juneautours.com/book-a-tour/details/33355/glacier-shuttle/

Juneau has a lot of taxi vans. Call a few taxi vendors to see if you will fit into 2 cabs. Rather than backtrack to the cruise pier, you can arrange for taxis to pick you up at Auke Bay which is much closer to Mendenhall. I'm not sure of the cost. Then reserve another cab ride back to the pier (about $35).

Evergreen taxi is one company ... others are listed on the town web site.

From what I can tell on the websites they only sell round trip tickets for $30. But I will call to double check just in case.

I'll definitely look into the cabs. It sounds like that might be the best and most economical option for our group. Thanks!

I thought about rental cars, but my understanding is that all the vendors are by the airport, which sounds like PITA for a large family group. But its an option, esp if AVIS gets a new downtown location for cruise season.

They'd have to get to the AJ Dock where Juneau Car Rental is. There's that bus that goes back and forth if there's a ship docked there or the 20 minute walk.

What happened to the $8 shuttle rides to Mendenhall!! :)

They'd have to get to the AJ Dock where Juneau Car Rental is. There's that bus that goes back and forth if there's a ship docked there or the 20 minute walk.

What happened to the $8 shuttle rides to Mendenhall!! :)

Oh yeah, i forget about Juneau Car Rental. I guess the drivers could walk the 20 minutes, then come back for everyone else.....

Another option for the OP to consider, esp if they have a long port day and could drive to the coast.

As for the $8 shuttle..... i think it went up to $10 each way, then they had to add on the new $5 park fee and voila, $30rt. It will be interesting to se if one-way tickets will be available this summer.

The times that we’ve rode the Blue or White bus out to Mendenhall when it came time to go back to Juneau we just got on the bus, no one asked to see our ticket stub or anything. I guess they figured that if you got there they must have bought you out. I think the reason Harv & Marv don’t go out there anymore is they don’t have a contract to collect the $5 entrance fee. Last year I talked the general manager of M & M tours who operate the Blue & White buses, she said the Forest service was getting real sticky about collecting the $5 entrance fee. If you have a NP Senior citizen pass you and 3 of your friends can get in at no cost. If you’re taking the Blue or White bus from Juneau out to Mendenhall and you have NP Senior citizen pass be sure to show your pass when you buy your tickets.

Mom02, in your situation I would probably have a cab pickup your party out at the pier at Auke bay.

The times that we’ve rode the Blue or White bus out to Mendenhall when it came time to go back to Juneau we just got on the bus, no one asked to see our ticket stub or anything. I guess they figured that if you got there they must have bought you out. I think the reason Harv & Marv don’t go out there anymore is they don’t have a contract to collect the $5 entrance fee. Last year I talked the general manager of M & M tours who operate the Blue & White buses, she said the Forest service was getting real sticky about collecting the $5 entrance fee. If you have a NP Senior citizen pass you and 3 of your friends can get in at no cost. If you’re taking the Blue or White bus from Juneau out to Mendenhall and you have NP Senior citizen pass be sure to show your pass when you buy your tickets.

Mom02, in your situation I would probably have a cab pickup your party out at the pier at Auke bay.

You bring up a good point - I don't remember the bus drivers checking for ticket stubs on the way back either. I supposed we could always arrange for a cab to pick us up at the park when we're done hiking if they do end up checking for ticket stubs.

We've started looking into (independent) tours that include a trip to Mendenhall. Since our group is large, it might end up being about the same cost if not cheaper. And we wouldn't have to worry about transportation. But this would only work if they allow for ample time for us to at least hike Nugget Trail to see the waterfall.

Sigh...maybe we're trying to do too much...we are on vacation after all! :rolleyes:

You bring up a good point - I don't remember the bus drivers checking for ticket stubs on the way back either. I supposed we could always arrange for a cab to pick us up at the park when we're done hiking if they do end up checking for ticket stubs.

We've started looking into (independent) tours that include a trip to Mendenhall. Since our group is large, it might end up being about the same cost if not cheaper. And we wouldn't have to worry about transportation. But this would only work if they allow for ample time for us to at least hike Nugget Trail to see the waterfall.

Sigh...maybe we're trying to do too much...we are on vacation after all! :rolleyes:

What is your port time and what time is your whale watch??

I emailed Harv and Marv this morning re: our reservations for whale watch and interest in Mendenhall. Here is their response:

"Unfortunately, due to changes in permitting and regulations by the US Forest Service, we can no longer pick up or drop off at the Mendenhall Glacier. You can schedule a taxi ahead of time or call when you arrive, the two main companies that service the glacier are Evergreen Taxi - 907-586-2121 / http://www.evergreentaxi.com and Juneau Taxi & Tours - 907-789-1111 / http://www.juneau.cab

If you would like to visit the Mendenhall Glacier, there are a few of options:

Visit the Glacier prior to the whale watch and take a taxi from the Glacier to the harbor that we leave from. We will provide transportation back to the ship.

​You can take a taxi from Auke Bay Harbor to the Glacier, and then take either a taxi or the Glacier shuttle back to the ship.

You can take the Glacier shuttle to and from the Glacier prior to or following your tour. ​"

Thanks,

Kayla F

--

Harv & Marv's Reservations Team

Kayla B., Colleen, & Kayla F.

PO Box 32825

Juneau, AK 99803

907-209-7288 or 866-909-7288

http://www.harvandmarvs.com

• 5 months later...
I emailed Harv and Marv this morning re: our reservations for whale watch and interest in Mendenhall. Here is their response:

"Unfortunately, due to changes in permitting and regulations by the US Forest Service, we can no longer pick up or drop off at the Mendenhall Glacier. You can schedule a taxi ahead of time or call when you arrive, the two main companies that service the glacier are Evergreen Taxi - 907-586-2121 / www.evergreentaxi.com and Juneau Taxi & Tours - 907-789-1111 / www.juneau.cab

If you would like to visit the Mendenhall Glacier, there are a few of options:

Visit the Glacier prior to the whale watch and take a taxi from the Glacier to the harbor that we leave from. We will provide transportation back to the ship.

​You can take a taxi from Auke Bay Harbor to the Glacier, and then take either a taxi or the Glacier shuttle back to the ship.

You can take the Glacier shuttle to and from the Glacier prior to or following your tour. ​"

Thanks,

Kayla

--

Harv & Marv's Reservations Team

Kayla B., Colleen, & Kayla F.

PO Box 32825

Juneau, AK 99803

907-209-7288 or 866-909-7288

www.harvandmarvs.com

Good info. Thanks!

Not sure if you have resolved your problem yet., but here is what we are doing. We have booked a tour w/ Juneau tours that includes a city tour, a whale watching tour for 2 hours and then goes to the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center. We wanted to have the freedom to stay longer to do hikes etc. The company said , just make sure that the tour bus you get on will go to the city tour, whale watching first and Glacier at the end. Tell the shuttle driver or tour guide you want to stay longer and they will get you a ticket or sticker to show the shuttle driver and let you know when and where the shuttles (from their company, I think it is white) will be running. We will do this tour August 9. They were reasonably priced, perhaps you can negotiate a better price because of the size of your group. Hope this helps.