Are kids welcome in activities unless otherwise specified?

Soramor

Hi! Our family (including kids ages 7 & 9) will be sailing for 12 nights in Grandeur this March. I've gotten a look at a recent Cruise Compass for that particular ship and there are a few activities that specify adults only. There are a lot of other activities that did not specify that. My 9 y/o is interested in some things like karaoke and Zumba but the compass does not indicate anything about ages. Can I safely assume she'd be welcome to participate?

Edited by Soramor

Hi! Our family (including kids ages 7 & 9) will be sailing for 12 nights in Grandeur this March. I've gotten a look at a recent Cruise Compass for that particular ship and there are a few activities that specify adults only. There are a lot of other activities that did not specify that. My 9 y/o is interested in some things like karaoke and Zumba but the compass does not indicate anything about ages. Can I safely assume she'd be welcome to participate?

Yes...unless it states so... but always best to check just before the activity starts. There's usually a family karaoke otherwise the karaoke is held pretty late at night.

Yes...unless it states so... but always best to check just before the activity starts. There's usually a family karaoke otherwise the karaoke is held pretty late at night.

Thanks, not sure myself and as was 20+ yrs ago, last time I went to a Royal Karaoke. It was held in a bar/lounge and as was after 10pm no kids were aloud. Back then lot less kids on Royal ships.

On a 12-night cruise, chances are there won't be that many kids (unless there are spring break families with younger children), so yours may have advantages and disadvantages because of that, if that's the case. If there aren't that many kids, they would be likely to have a more personal experience in the kids' clubs, I would think. But sometimes the more adult activities skew even more adult when they know the guest population is more adults and few kids. We did a back-to-back a few years ago, and on the first, longer, leg, the 70s night was very risqué (there were only 40 minors on board), but the next leg, which included Thanksgiving, had over 1,000 kids, and they significantly "family-friendlied" 70s night.

As for the Zumba classes, there are age restrictions for the fitness center, even with a parent present, so the best thing to do would be to ask ahead of time, so as not to disappoint your 9-year-old. I wouldn't just show up expecting that she can participate.

On a 12-night cruise, chances are there won't be that many kids (unless there are spring break families with younger children), so yours may have advantages and disadvantages because of that, if that's the case. If there aren't that many kids, they would be likely to have a more personal experience in the kids' clubs, I would think. But sometimes the more adult activities skew even more adult when they know the guest population is more adults and few kids. We did a back-to-back a few years ago, and on the first, longer, leg, the 70s night was very risqué (there were only 40 minors on board), but the next leg, which included Thanksgiving, had over 1,000 kids, and they significantly "family-friendlied" 70s night.

As for the Zumba classes, there are age restrictions for the fitness center, even with a parent present, so the best thing to do would be to ask ahead of time, so as not to disappoint your 9-year-old. I wouldn't just show up expecting that she can participate.

Yes, I was a bit hesitant with the length because of the kid situation. Thankfully, my kiddos are still of the age where hanging out with mom and dad is still cool and interesting, so if all else fails, we'll find something to do as a group. I wish they could go to the kids clubs together (they are in separate age groups) but maybe if there are only a handful of kids they might be willing to combine?

I know they combined the 12-14 and the 15-17 groups on a couple of our cruises. I believe that it is typical when they have smaller group sizes to do this. Hopefully that will be the case. One of the reasons that I enjoy cruising so much is I knew we had the best of both worlds, time with kids and when without kids, the kids & parents both had a blast!