Anthem of the Seas My 4K Video, Sail Date Jan 2017, Questions?

JoshuaA

That is a beautiful shot! How was the sound of the plane's engine?

Thanks! The planes can get loud when they take off, it's not as eventful as when they land because they depart and isappear into the distance up over a mountain the same direction they come in. Some people stand by the fence on the other side of the road to feel the rush of the wind, except it's also discharged jet fuel lol.

I would say one takes off or lands every 15min and the big ones land at least every hour in the early afternoon. It's like they're a little dot in the sky, in slow motion as they approach and get bigger until the last second where they blast overhead, the sheer size a sight to see.

There's a schedule in chalk by the Sunset Grill. Not a place we would go for a peaceful beach but we came for the planes and it was really cool!

Thanks! The planes can get loud when they take off, it's not as eventful as when they land because they depart and isappear into the distance up over a mountain the same direction they come in. Some people stand by the fence on the other side of the road to feel the rush of the wind, except it's also discharged jet fuel lol.

I would say one takes off or lands every 15min and the big ones land at least every hour in the early afternoon. It's like they're a little dot in the sky, in slow motion as they approach and get bigger until the last second where they blast overhead, the sheer size a sight to see.

There's a schedule in chalk by the Sunset Grill. Not a place we would go for a peaceful beach but we came for the planes and it was really cool!

I know! Been to St. Maarten a couple of times but have not been to that place. Heard about it and read some here but never had much interest. Seeing your picture, we will be there March. Thank you!

Great Video

We were are the same sailing as you and often saw your family the girls were too cute and always seemed to be having a blast !! My kids were in tears as we were leaving they have sailed a lot but this was by far their favorite ship and can't wait to go back. I booked another sailing on Anthem while onboard but knew I was going to change it as soon as the later dates come out in March. Did your kids do the kids club at all ? My kids loved it and never wanted to come with us.

Great Video

We were are the same sailing as you and often saw your family the girls were too cute and always seemed to be having a blast !! My kids were in tears as we were leaving they have sailed a lot but this was by far their favorite ship and can't wait to go back. I booked another sailing on Anthem while onboard but knew I was going to change it as soon as the later dates come out in March. Did your kids do the kids club at all ? My kids loved it and never wanted to come with us.

Thanks! My kids have been on Disney a few times and they equated Anthem's Adventure Ocean to looking like a dungeon lol. I signed them up the first day, and they never went, and said no every time we offered. That said, this was also their favourite trip/cruise so far. It could be that they're older elementary now and physical activity appeals to them more, plus they never gave AO a chance.

My younger one just watched the video again this morning before school and had a big smile, took her iPod to show her friends. Where are you going next? We want to do another RC, definitely more than 7d, maybe a different itinerary.

We sail the Anthem end of February. We've always flown to Florida to cruise in the winter but are looking forward to trying out leaving from Bayonne since it's only 1 1/2 hours from home. I'm wondering how cold it is the first two days and last two days? Are you still in pants and sweaters? Also, is it warm inside the solarium pool no matter the weather? How about the indoor pool? Thanks for your review!

We sail the Anthem end of February. We've always flown to Florida to cruise in the winter but are looking forward to trying out leaving from Bayonne since it's only 1 1/2 hours from home. I'm wondering how cold it is the first two days and last two days? Are you still in pants and sweaters? Also, is it warm inside the solarium pool no matter the weather? How about the indoor pool? Thanks for your review!

I would google the historical seasonal weather and also see what they expect for the end of Feb in the Cape Liberty area. Although it snows at the beginning of my video, that was very short lived and enjoyed by staff who rarely see it (they were having snowball fights in the staff only area by the bow). By the 2nd day, we were lucky and able to go outside, enjoy the pool, surf at FlowRider. By the 3rd day, I believe once the ship is lateral to Miami and south, it's almost guaranteed warmth.

If it does get too cold on the first 2 and last 2, you can literally be in shorts inside and avoid the outside altogether because there's so many things to do. But a sweater is recommended if you venture outside on Deck 14 or 15. And yes, the indoor pool and Solarium areas are always warm.

Have a great time!

I would google the historical seasonal weather and also see what they expect for the end of Feb in the Cape Liberty area. Although it snows at the beginning of my video, that was very short lived and enjoyed by staff who rarely see it (they were having snowball fights in the staff only area by the bow). By the 2nd day, we were lucky and able to go outside, enjoy the pool, surf at FlowRider. By the 3rd day, I believe once the ship is lateral to Miami and south, it's almost guaranteed warmth.

If it does get too cold on the first 2 and last 2, you can literally be in shorts inside and avoid the outside altogether because there's so many things to do. But a sweater is recommended if you venture outside on Deck 14 or 15. And yes, the indoor pool and Solarium areas are always warm.

Have a great time!

That's great. Thanks.

Thanks for the great video.

We're sailing on the Anthem in April and will be driving from Hamilton, Ontario. You mentioned you drove, as well. Was the drive relatively easy? Any advice?

Thanks so much

Nice! Ancaster native here, grew up in Hamilton. Buy US data roaming if it's affordable via your cell provider, was 1GB $20, expires in 10d via Public Mobile for us, works in Puerto Rico where we topped it up for the way home.

Google maps using data on a smartphone incorporates live traffic and said 7h which was accurate.

We bought our snorkel sets at the Ancaster Costco, and the last Costco gas bar is on Bridewell Pl in Clifton NJ before Cape Liberty, except they don't take MC, they accept Visa or cash.

You're allowed 2 bottles of wine 750mL, and they let us pass a large bottle of water and a 6-pack of kids Nestea, our friends got away with 2 x 1L. Some pack a small case of water and cans of pop, ymmv. Bring S'wells or similar, the twist cap is ideal in a backpack and ice stays ice right to the beach at port.

The drive is really easy traffic-wise with nice mountains along the way, no tolls; weird, tolls on the way back though. Watch out for potholes on the Interstates. We stayed at Best Western Plus in Newark the night before and the price included breakfast, parking in their lot and shuttle to and back, iirc $230. Any other questions, shoot. Have a fantastic trip!

Nice! Ancaster native here, grew up in Hamilton. Buy US data roaming if it's affordable via your cell provider, was 1GB $20, expires in 10d via Public Mobile for us, works in Puerto Rico where we topped it up for the way home.

Google maps using data on a smartphone incorporates live traffic and said 7h which was accurate.

We bought our snorkel sets at the Ancaster Costco, and the last Costco gas bar is on Bridewell Pl in Clifton NJ before Cape Liberty, except they don't take MC, they accept Visa or cash.

You're allowed 2 bottles of wine 750mL, and they let us pass a large bottle of water and a 6-pack of kids Nestea, our friends got away with 2 x 1L. Some pack a small case of water and cans of pop, ymmv. Bring S'wells or similar, the twist cap is ideal in a backpack and ice stays ice right to the beach at port.

The drive is really easy traffic-wise with nice mountains along the way, no tolls; weird, tolls on the way back though. Watch out for potholes on the Interstates. We stayed at Best Western Plus in Newark the night before and the price included breakfast, parking in their lot and shuttle to and back, iirc $230. Any other questions, shoot. Have a fantastic trip!

Thank you so much!!! Great advice and I'll definitely have more questions I'm sure. I really appreciate your help

I am really surprised your kids didn't like it .. My son is 5 and my daughter 8 and they always make such great friends that they always want to go there. My son met his first love he still talks about her almost on a daily basis it's too cute.

I booked Anthem again while we were onboard but they only had dates till April 2018 but the later dates are said to be coming out in the beginning of March so when they do I will be changing it. Also hopefully they do another kids sail free soon that's what we got on this cruise did you catch that sale ?

We also hit Diamond status on this last cruise so excited for our next cruise to get the perks 😊.

Did you book anything while onboard? If not in the future do it you can change the date as many times as you want as long as it is before final payment and also when you book onboard you get extra perks and only have to put a minimal deposit do its great I always have a extra booking out there.

Thanks! My kids have been on Disney a few times and they equated Anthem's Adventure Ocean to looking like a dungeon lol. I signed them up the first day, and they never went, and said no every time we offered. That said, this was also their favourite trip/cruise so far. It could be that they're older elementary now and physical activity appeals to them more, plus they never gave AO a chance.

My younger one just watched the video again this morning before school and had a big smile, took her iPod to show her friends. Where are you going next? We want to do another RC, definitely more than 7d, maybe a different itinerary.

I am really surprised your kids didn't like it .. My son is 5 and my daughter 8 and they always make such great friends that they always want to go there. My son met his first love he still talks about her almost on a daily basis it's too cute.

I booked Anthem again while we were onboard but they only had dates till April 2018 but the later dates are said to be coming out in the beginning of March so when they do I will be changing it. Also hopefully they do another kids sail free soon that's what we got on this cruise did you catch that sale ?

We also hit Diamond status on this last cruise so excited for our next cruise to get the perks ��.

Did you book anything while onboard? If not in the future do it you can change the date as many times as you want as long as it is before final payment and also when you book onboard you get extra perks and only have to put a minimal deposit do its great I always have a extra booking out there.

Haha, that is cute. I think our girls just didn't give Adventure Ocean a chance, and that they had their best of friends with them (4th time sailing together), they were happy wherever they were.

No, we didn't rebook onboard. We'll likely do another RCI but we want to keep things open in case we decide on a vacation that's completely different.

Yep, we took advantage of stacking 30% off and Kids Sail Free, was ~$3100 and received $425 OBC, total far less than any Disney we've done. I'm surprised they weren't more children on board, great promo.

I read somewhere they don't have formal nights on Anthem. If this is true, do they still serve the lobster tails?

Formal night is Day 2 and 11, lots of dinner jackets, suits and tux's floating around. Free lobster is Day 11 (not sure if there were other times because we ate at 3 specialty restaurants and WJ once, so missed the MDR 4 nights). Paid lobster is any night.

We have been trying to do Disney for years but I can do two 12 nights on Royal for the price of one Disney and I just can't justify doing that. How did you get such a big on board credit ? That's great !!!

It is so much fun to have friends sailing with you that's for sure we met a family through Cruise Critic years ago and really hit it off and have sailed and vacationed with them it has been great.

Haha, that is cute. I think our girls just didn't give Adventure Ocean a chance, and that they had their best of friends with them (4th time sailing together), they were happy wherever they were.

No, we didn't rebook onboard. We'll likely do another RCI but we want to keep things open in case we decide on a vacation that's completely different.

Yep, we took advantage of stacking 30% off and Kids Sail Free, was ~$3100 and received $425 OBC, total far less than any Disney we've done. I'm surprised they weren't more children on board, great promo.

Loveboth your video and your photos. After watching the video, I now need to buy a gimbal for my 7+ to add to my toy collection! You mentioned the Zhiyun Crane for a DSLR, but I don't think you said what you were using for your iPhone. Is it the Zhiyun Smooth II? I was almost ready to pull the trigger on an OSMO Mobile because of the nice features that it has, and the generally good reviews of their software. I read a few references to the competing OIS problem, and your comments helped push me over the top to look elsewhere.