Cozumel: Enjoying the ship pool vs going to Nachi Cocom?

Dixie1337

I've had a port stop at Cozumel 7 times so far with another one coming up next month. It's a stop I always look forward to, unlike many other ports (i.e. Nassau, Freeport, Coco Cay).

The Mayan ruins tour of the island is worth seeing. There's one with a beach break at a very good restaurant on the other side of the island. Done that one twice.

Paradise Beach is also a favorite here too, but don't miss downtown. You can even walk it if you want (although it is a bit of a trek).

This is one port that's worth getting off the ship for.

So after everyones suggestion, I booked Nachi for cozumel. Paradise beach looks to be bigger and sort of newer. What are the thoughts on that place?

We've been to Paradise Beach several times. We've always had a great time there, and it is not expensive to spend a day there. Cabs are plentiful right outside the terminal, and it takes less than 15 minutes to get there. There are always plenty of cabs waiting to take passengers back to the ship. Food and beverages there are not expensive, and they have a beautiful pool and clean bathrooms.

If this is your first cruise, I do suggest you get off the ship on port days and explore or tour. It's part of the whole experience. We've been cruising for over 20 years and it's only been in the past couple of cruises that we've chosen to stay on the ship at certain ports. I do enjoy being on a quiet and near-empty ship while everyone else is off, but I wouldn't have missed all those adventures discovering ports for anything.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful first cruise:cool:

We've never had an issue finding a cab in Cozumel. Walk out of the terminal to the cab line. I can't think of how it could be easier.

Absolutely! We'd never skip Nachi...after 11 or 12 times there, we consider it our Mexican Vacation Home. We have stayed aboard in Nassau, Labadee and even St. Martin and had a blast on ship, but never in Coz. Wouldn't be Coz without Nachi to us. Never crowded because of their limit and great food even greater drinks! I can hardly wait for April!:cool:

I was planning on getting a cabana at barefoot beach on labadee. Is that a good plan?

We reserved a private over the water cabana when we sailed Oasis of the Seas in May 2013 and have another reserved for our cruise on Allure of the Seas this May. I think totally worth it. Towels, bottled water, and water mats were already there and waiting for us. You have shade whenever you want it and the water is just steps away.

We are sailing on the Oasis on March 26th too, woo hoo! You will really enjoy Cozumel, fun shops and Panchos is a great place for lunch...split your day...a little time exploring a new port, great lunch (that will be us at the table next to you. :) ) shopping and then head back to enjoy ship.

They expanded, now 130 people per day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

True story. If anyone is curious, Nachi Cocom references the 130 people per day on their Facebook page. I thought it seemed a lot more crowded last time we were there. :( Still a lovely way to spend a day though!

For full disclosure, I've been to Nachi Cocom about a dozen times. I'm a Diamond Plus member on Royal as well. I've tried Mr. Sanchos and others that people have mentioned on this board. As always, everything is personal opinion ultimately. A day on the ship when most is off is fantastic. That said, Nachi Cocom is one of my favorite places to go. If you like a place that is pretty empty, pretty quiet, with good(not great) service, a great beach and pool, and a very good lunch with incredible views, then Nachi Cocom is it. If you like a more lively atmosphere, then some of the other beaches or Mr. Sanchos is a great place in Cozumel, but I can tell you the food won't be as good anywhere else. One recommendation at Nachi---if you like deep tissue massages...I mean when they really get in there and work out your knots and actually hurt you a little at the time but you feel great after...go for their massages on the beach. It is in a separate hut with a sheet to give you privacy and they've had the same ladies giving the massages for years. The cost is a ridiculously low $40 for 30 minutes and $70 for an hour. If you book in advance, you can pick your time without issue. If you don't like deep tissue, and you like swedish, don't do it. They don't know how to do light touch lol.

• 2 weeks later...

We always go to Nachi Cocum when in Cozumel but we have been there on a lot of cruises. With the advent of the mega ships, there can be 15,000 or more people walking down the sidewalk in town. If you haven't done it and want to deal with thousands of people, then get off the ship and grab a cab! There is a website that can tell you how many/and what ships are in any port on any particular day and I would advise taking a look just so you can be prepared....it can be a mess at times especially if there are 7 ships in port at the same time!

Nachi Cocum will be there for some time to come and you can make plans for your next trip to Cozumel!