How many days in advance did you book excursions -Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan

McFins

Hi there. I am wondering how far in advance folks typically book excursions for Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Leaning towards booking through ship (NCL) just for convenience.

As always, thanks so much for your awesome advice. It is much appreciated.

Hi there. I am wondering how far in advance folks typically book excursions for Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Leaning towards booking through ship (NCL) just for convenience.

Not everyone is like me --- I tend to book popular small vendors a year in advance to ensure we have a reservation.

Thanks. None of what we want to do involves flight so probably okay on that front. But we will definitely start looking to book them now ---- I thought it was common to wait until final payment date i.e. typically 90 days out----but that may not be the case so I better start looking now.

Thanks so much

It isn't difficult to get tours a few months prior, after final payment. There are a few that do require way ahead booking- like some bear tours, due to very small numbers of people can access. Anan, Katmai etc. Some vendors do book quicker than others- BUT, there are numerous excellent vendors to choose from. Sometimes it gets "promoted" that one is way better than others, when the poster hasn't even gone with anyone else (or hasn't even gone yet). Trip advisor can be a great source to check reviews.

Our cruise is in June and we have already booked our excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan and also a cruise we are doing on our land tour in Seward. But that is mainly because we like to do things early and then not to have to worry about it. Last time I checked, there was still plenty of availability for our Juneau excursion which I have read will sell out.

Flights and marine excursions are the first to sellout. Otherwise.... I've booked excursions the night before on the ship.

I was overwhelmed on my first trip.... so I would walk up to guest services and ask which was popular near sellout.... that's the one for me.

marine excursions are the first to sellout.

Not sure what you are basing this claim on, but, I've had no problem getting walk up marine boat excursions. Just do one loop of the booths on the Juneau dock and you have numerous whale watch vendors with availability.

Not sure what you are basing this claim on, but, I've had no problem getting walk up marine boat excursions. Just do one loop of the booths on the Juneau dock and you have numerous whale watch vendors with availability.
I guess it depends on the day... The woman who gave the HAL tour presentation on my trip stated the flights and marine excursions were the first to fill. It was confirmed when I when to guest services to book my last minute plans.

Not all of the excursions for Alaska 2017 are loaded onto NCL's website yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I read a caution here that you should book early for anything you really wanted to do. So we started booking for our May 2017 cruise in early November and added as tours we wanted to take became available to book. We also booked through the ship for convenience and security.

OTOH, my daughter STILL has not booked her excursions, and when I checked a couple of days ago, a horseback tour that I thought she would want and that I would expect to be popular, was still available.

• 6 months later...

Budget Queen- i am booking the Kenai Fjords 4 hour tour with lunch in Seward so if we are able to see whales on that one i do not want to book the Icy Straight Point whale watching trip which is much more expensive for 8 of us through the ship. Would it be easy in Icy Straight to also walk off the ship and find a kiosk that would do a whale watching tour in ISP in the event that we are not fortunate in Kenai Fjords?

Our cruise is in June and we have already booked our excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan and also a cruise we are doing on our land tour in Seward. But that is mainly because we like to do things early and then not to have to worry about it. Last time I checked, there was still plenty of availability for our Juneau excursion which I have read will sell out.

We are booked on a Princess cruise at the end of June 2018, but the Cruise Personalizer says excursions are not yet available for our cruise. I am assuming you are booking independently in order to book a year ahead?? Or am I missing something on the Princess site?

TIA