Using a GoPro on ziplines

fletch1027

Does anyone have experience doing this? We will be on a cruise in a couple of weeks that goes to Labadee and a couple of us booked the zipline. I have a Hero 3+ with both a head and chest mount.

My question is, what is the best mounting position for GoPro's? I assume the chest mount may be blocked by restraint straps. As far as the head goes, do most zipline places offer a helmet that may have a built in mount to hook a GoPro into?

I'm just trying to do some homework now so I don't get caught unprepared when I get there... :)

I have also asked myself the same question, as I'll be doing the same. I know many zipline operators will not allow you to shoot with a GoPro unless the camera is fastened to you. I have a chestie, and this obviously satisfies their requirements, but I agree with you that the shot will be obstructed by the zipline hardware. A head mount is definitely better, but you still have the chance of seeing the hardware. I like "the strap" offered by GoPro. It fastens to your wrist, or leg, and has the ability to swivel. This feature would also allow you to shoot video of yourself while zipping - a must for any vacation video. Plus, being on your wrist allow for you to move the camera, shooting the scenery, or the canopy below you. Here's a link to the GoPro site. It's not cheap but it is versatile. Good luck!

http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/the-strap-hand-plus-wrist-plus-arm-plus-leg-mount/AHWBM-001.html

I haven't tried this on the Labadee Zipline but the 2 other private zips that I've done both allowed me to hand hold (with a strap) a camera. Their thinking may have been that it's my problem, not theirs, if I drop it. Royal may not think the same way.

I have used my go-pro on my adventures on Ziplines in the states, and I have always used the head mount and had no problems. I would recommend the head mount since it is the most stabil also assuming your not scared and keep your head down the whole time.

I was reading on another forum that they did allow a camera on the ride on so I am assuming you could use a GoPro.

I have used my go-pro on my adventures on Ziplines in the states, and I have always used the head mount and had no problems. I would recommend the head mount since it is the most stabil also assuming your not scared and keep your head down the whole time.

I was reading on another forum that they did allow a camera on the ride on so I am assuming you could use a GoPro.

In looking at the Labadee zipline youtube videos, it doesn't look like anyone is wearing a helmet, so the head strap type of mount may be the easiest. I have one of those I can use - my only hesitation is the wind blowing it off my head... :eek:

Does anyone have experience doing this? We will be on a cruise in a couple of weeks that goes to Labadee and a couple of us booked the zipline. I have a Hero 3+ with both a head and chest mount.

My question is, what is the best mounting position for GoPro's? I assume the chest mount may be blocked by restraint straps. As far as the head goes, do most zipline places offer a helmet that may have a built in mount to hook a GoPro into?

I'm just trying to do some homework now so I don't get caught unprepared when I get there... :)

We did the zip line at Labadee a couple of years ago. We were not issued helmets but what I did was hold my point-and-shoot digital (Canon A3300) in my right hand all the way down and had no problem. No doubt you can handhold the GoPro and you’d be just fine. You really don’t need both hands for this particular zip line. It’s rather tame, as zip lines go. It’s just a LONG one. I’d just hold on to it, you’ll be fine.