Visa for Jordan

Smartology

we are ready to book the April 17th sailing from the UAE-Rome. Only thing stopping us is the visa for Jordan. We have been told that the ship will arrange the visa for Jordan. Also, told that WE have to get the visa in advance? What is the truth here? Also, does anyone know what the final cost is for this visa? And equally important.... will we get the visa put into passport BEFORE we arrive in Jordan, as it's a very short stop of only hours and if even 50% of the ship wants to disembark for a tour, the time will be shot. Four of us are waiting to hear the truth. Thank you for your help.:)

We were told for our trip to Russia that we would be part of the ship visa as long as we were on an official ship excursion. I expect that Jordan is the same.

If we wanted to get off the ship on our own we would have to obtain our own visa, in advance, prior to the trip. If you are not part of an official excursion and do not have a visa you will not be allowed off the ship on your own.

We were told that http://visacentral.com/ is the company that Celebrity / Royal Caribbean recommends. You fill out your visa application and send your passport, application, and photo to this company prior to your trip. They get the visa added to your passport and send it back to you.

According to that site the consular fees are $67.50 and visa central adds another $139 in processing fees. All this assumes that you are a US resident with a US passport. This fee was based on a California resident, you can calculate your exact fees by visiting their site.

Edited to add, there are other companies that perform similar services for you. Not certain where you live in Virginia, but you could travel to Washington DC and visit the Jordanian Embassy on your own to obtain your own visa and save the $139 processing fee. You can contact the embassy directly via http://www.jordanembassyus.org/page/consulate-forms where they have a phone number listed for questions and a link to the visa application.

Edited by WestCoastFlyer

THANK YOU, WestCoastFlyer! We printed out the visa forms from online today to take them into the Jordanian Embassy, which is conveniently located near to us in Northern Virginia.They will reopen again on Monday. The visa is good for 2 months SO we have to time it so that we get it stamped end of Feb. and it's still valid when we land in Jordan. Seems to me the application fee was $7.50 each + $67.50. I did speak today to both Celebrity AND Visa Central and got conflicting info. I'd much rather just get it myself and know that it's there and have the flexibility when we stop in Jordan. We will contact the embassy on Monday. Can't begin to tell you how much we appreciate your speedy response!. We were getting so frustrated that we were looking at other cruises this evening. Will hold off now and share info with other friends that want to join us on this cruise if we go! Have a super weekend:-)

I assume you will be going to the port of Aqaba for a one day visit.

If so, there is no need for you to get a visa for Jordan in advance of the cruise if you are a USA citizen.

There will be an entry and exit imprint in your passport the day you are there. This will be done without you lining up for it as the ship will have your passport for the Jordanian immigration officials. There is no cost for this.

Above is my experience on another cruise line four years ago.

Above is also what I have been told both by my Travel Agent and by Celebrity when I contacted them.

Also look at http://www.your-guide-to-aqaba-jordan.com/aqaba-visa-for-cruise-ship-passengers.html where it says:

Cruise ship passengers are granted the visa free of charge upon arrival to Aqaba port, unless their nationality is on the list of "restricted nationslities" in which case they have to obtained the visa in advance.

Edited by caribill

We were told for our trip to Russia that we would be part of the ship visa as long as we were on an official ship excursion. I expect that Jordan is the same.

Russia is quite different from Jordan as far as cruise ship visitors are concerned.

For St. Petersburg if you are on a ship's excursion or a private excursion with a recognized tour company, the organization providing the excursion essentially arranges for a no cost visa the day(s) of the tour. It is only if you want to tour by yourself that an offical visa obtained in advance is required.

For Aqaba, Jordan every USA citizen on the ship will have a no-cost visa for the day. And you can either go around by yourself or take a tour without needing a visa obtained in advance.

This is terrible advice, based on an erroneous (and frankly remarkable) assumption that Jordan's and Russia's visa programmes are the same.

I too was on the reciprocal cruise in November. Passports were held by the ship and the Jordanian authorities processed them with entry/exit stamps. No need for a visa (whether on a ship's tour, private tour or just getting off by yourself), nor will you need your passport to get ashore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, thanks to all:) Yes, it does APPEAR that the cruise ship will handle the visas, they are free, and are processed on arrival. We are definitely planning on seeing Petra....the crown jewel of the cruise for us....to each his own jewel! We want to take the opportunity to thank each and every one of you that has taken the time to respond and post. Now that visas are not an issue, we will most likely be booking this week. Again, thank you & bon voyage to all:D