Pearl Refurbishements

Mwright91

We are booked on the Pearl for the Glacier Bay cruise this coming May. I know the ship is scheduled for a dry dock and refurbishments this winter.

I tried finding some details online on what they will be doing, but they are lacking. Does anyone have any more information - Is this just a short 5 day technical dry dock or will this be more of an overhaul like the Dawn had a few months ago?

We are booked on the Pearl for the Glacier Bay cruise this coming May. I know the ship is scheduled for a dry dock and refurbishments this winter.

I tried finding some details online on what they will be doing, but they are lacking. Does anyone have any more information - Is this just a short 5 day technical dry dock or will this be more of an overhaul like the Dawn had a few months ago?

The refurb will be very similar to the improvements done to the Gem. Carpets, furniture, artwork for most of the staterooms and public areas and the remodeling of some of the restaurants. I think there will be a Bliss lounge makeover to replace the New Orleans cat house decor we have all grown to love. Also some reorganization around the pool deck. I hope they don't change the Great Outdoors area at all. Best outdoor space on any NCL ship.

The refurb will be very similar to the improvements done to the Gem. Carpets, furniture, artwork for most of the staterooms and public areas and the remodeling of some of the restaurants. I think there will be a Bliss lounge makeover to replace the New Orleans cat house decor we have all grown to love. Also some reorganization around the pool deck. I hope they don't change the Great Outdoors area at all. Best outdoor space on any NCL ship.

Can all of that be done in two weeks? It just seems like its a lot to do in between two cruises especially when one is a specialty cruise with a stage setup

Which May sailing? We are booked on the 5/21 cruise.

I think we are just going to have to wait and see, but there doesn't seem to be any official information, just speculation.

We are going on the week before you. The ship was listed as going in this winter for over a year now (see CC list of refurbishments). This was one of the reasons we picked the Pearl over the Jewel.

Can all of that be done in two weeks? It just seems like its a lot to do in between two cruises especially when one is a specialty cruise with a stage setup

With no major construction involved, two weeks should be enough time. It was originally scheduled for 21 days so maybe some of the enhancements were scaled back.

Question re: Pearl in Alaska

My wife wants to bring a throw to keep her warm while on the balcony during Glacier Bay. Are there extra blankets in the cabin? Also, she mentioned bringing an electric throw, but I think I convinced her to leave that home. Thanks!

PS - we are on the May 28th cruise

It depends on the cabin you are in. If it comes with a bathrobe that is what most of the people I saw wearing for extra warmth (over their clothes) You can probably ask for an extra blanket but it probably won't be throw size. As for an electric throw I am not sure there are outlets on the decks (maybe someone else can answer that).

We were on the Pearl July 2016. I'm from Arizona and was worried about being freezing the whole time. That was not the case. It was beautiful. We even slept with our balcony door open. The only time I needed a heavy jacket was when we were IN Glacier Bay next to the glacier while we were out on our balcony. The staterooms are climate controlled and you have your own thermostat. You can crank the heat if you want/need to. There we no outlets near the bed. The nearest was across the foot of the bed at the vanity desk area. I guess you could bring an extension cord but you risk a tripping hazard for yourself in the dark. Alaska is beautiful, it is an amazing trip.

My wife wants to bring a throw to keep her warm while on the balcony during Glacier Bay. Are there extra blankets in the cabin? Also, she mentioned bringing an electric throw, but I think I convinced her to leave that home. Thanks!

You can ask the room steward. I got a comforter, to use on the balcony.

I just got off the Pearl from a 5 day and I believe one of the updates was to add a Margerittaville, I know there were other additions but I honestly did not pay attention. I am sorry this is all I can tell you.

Do the inside rooms have a coffee pot?

• 2 weeks later...

All you have to do is ask your cabin steward for extra blankets. There will be nowhere to plug in an electric blanket.(only a couple outlets in cabin) They might even confiscate it until cruise is over. Fire hazard

• 2 weeks later...

We did cruise last year, same week. To my memory, there were not extra blankets in our cabin. But we did bring an electric throw and it was amazing to sit on our balcony with the throw plugged in. Worth shlepping it around. I was freezing the whole time.