Minimalist packer

TheCalicoCat

Yep, I never take more than one 24" bag. Necessary- is to rely on laundry. If doing hand washing- Zote soap is a must in my opinion. :)

I don't do any formal nights.

I have a wonderful routine that allows me simple easy travel, with the benefit of offering all kinds of options. I often pick up trips on short notice so essential for me to be able to accomplish this.

Well, I watched the Minimalists on Netflix this weekend, and I'm reinspired to pack light again....I've been reading here and thinking about overpacking- We usually never pack more than our 22" bags for any trip, but we usually can do laundry if needed, I think our ship has no self laundry,so I am thinking hand wash some items if needed....best soap for this? I'm going to look up Zote....I really dislike checking luggage unless I have to

well,I've never cruised before, but I plan on bringing for myself (I like to wear skirts and dresses all the time) One black easy care sundress, with a cute thin sweater and a necklace to dress it up for dress up dinner nights,and a sweater or two to wear it on regular days with fleece leggings (it's Alaska so colder ,hence the sweaters) I'm packing 2-4 pairs of easy care leggings,and a couple of black easy care skirts to toss over the leggings for just whatever (I hike in clothes like this,I like being comfortable) I layer (for casual wear) a t shirt.long sleeve combo under sweaters while traveling,depending on weather. So 2-3 tees, 2 l/s shirts to mix and match. My Teva hiking shoes,which can double as sneakers (dorky looking but super practical,I want to hike a bit at ports) and a pair of Jambu mary Jane style black shoes, which also double as regular walking shoes,but can look dressier when paired with the right clothes. (It's all about comfort for me,I don't wear heels) One pair slim teva mush flip flops for pool,etc. A bathing suit- short wool socks for everything,plus undergarments. I can fit those clothes in a packing cube easily,add a rain jacket/windbreaker ,and one fleece for extra warmth. Now I'm going to add some hand wash soap for doing any small bits of laundry I may need to.

Most of our clothes we re-wear anyway,so bringing extra just seems like a hassle to me-

Thanks for the replies...

If I bring my 3 in 1 North Face Thermoball/raincoat, do I need a sweatshirt or fleece?

I thought that I would wear: bra/undershirt/sweatshirt/ & the Thermoball (down alternative) or rain coat or both... (The undershirt could be worn alone.)

(I'm also continually thinking about 1 sweatshirt for this day, 1 for that... After a while I have a suitcase full of sweatshirts...)

Like BQ, I travel light. ( Even for a 3 or 4 weeks to Europe, it's just one wheeled case and my daypack.)

Packing for Alaska ......the layer next to your skin is changed daily so I pack several short and long sleeve Tshirts/tops. I wear cotton because it's comfortable. That's what I wear at home in Seattle and it works for me in Alaska.

The next layer is for warmth and can be reworn a few times so I take a fleece pullover, hoody, and a sweater, usually wear one them on the flight.

Pants .... wear a pr of jeans on the plane, and pack 1 more, plus 1 black jeans, 1 khaki, 1 capri.

Shoes ... wear my sneakers on the plane, and pack a pr of Clarks walking shoes. A pr of flip flops just in case the weather is warm. Several pr of smart wool socks because I don't want to be bothered doing little bits of wash every night.

My jacket is an old Eddie Bauer hooded waterproof jacket. Probably time to get a new one as it's not waterproof anymore. Spring sales are around the corner.

Thanks for the replies...

If I bring my 3 in 1 North Face Thermoball/raincoat, do I need a sweatshirt or fleece?

I thought that I would wear: bra/undershirt/sweatshirt/ & the Thermoball (down alternative) or rain coat or both... (The undershirt could be worn alone.)

(I'm also continually thinking about 1 sweatshirt for this day, 1 for that... After a while I have a suitcase full of sweatshirts...)

You've been to Alaska before. Work from that list and what layers you need.

Like BQ, I travel light. ( Even for a 3 or 4 weeks to Europe, it's just one wheeled case and my daypack.)

Yes always, I had no problem packing with my one bag for a 5 week trip in Nov/ Dec. And - needing a wide range of clothes, and binoculars, shorts, sandals, and sweatshirts, (2 needed), jacket etc. temps ranging from the 40's to over 90 F :)

I'm frequently gone for weeks.

Thanks for all the replies!

We traveled with a 24" to Europe for 15+ days and it worked well. It did help that I did a load of laundry (yay Princess) on the ship. I also used the Tide hand wash pkg. for the delicates/daily stuff. I'lll have to looking into that other soap

Not too concerned with the dressier "ship" clothes, just the Alaska touring stuff. This gives me a better idea. Shoes for me is the big thing. I have all terrain sneakers/hikers. Also questioning if I would need my LLBean snow/mud/water bootie shoe boots, thoughts? :)

Thanks for all the replies!

We traveled with a 24" to Europe for 15+ days and it worked well. It did help that I did a load of laundry (yay Princess) on the ship. I also used the Tide hand wash pkg. for the delicates/daily stuff. I'lll have to looking into that other soap

Not too concerned with the dressier "ship" clothes, just the Alaska touring stuff. This gives me a better idea. Shoes for me is the big thing. I have all terrain sneakers/hikers. Also questioning if I would need my LLBean snow/mud/water bootie shoe boots, thoughts? :)

Leave the boots home..

I've traveled to France, Croatia, Spain, all over the Caribbean, etc with nothing more than a 21" rollaboard and travel tote (non-cruising) and I was fine.

My wife, on the other hand....... She plans on bringing her 21" rollaboard and checking a 29" suitcase for our upcoming Alaska cruise. If its not for the fact that I don't completely trust checking bags, I would just forego my carryon.......

You've been to Alaska before. Work from that list and what layers you need.

Unfortunately, I did not use a list & am trying to pack less... (Not sure that I chose well last time. Next time will be a full 8 weeks later into the season, compared to the first.)

How necessary are waterproof hiking shoes/boots? I normally wear sneakers and generally don't have have a problem with slipping - or to be more specific, I don't fall any more frequently in wet situations than I do in dry. We have one more shore excursion to book and we're not doing anything crazily athletic (the tundra wilderness tour, flight-seeing with glacier landing, whale watching and the Medenhall Glacier). We'll be in Alaska in May. Should I go out of my way to buy something waterproof for my feet or would I be okay with just normal athletic sneakers?

as I posted above I wear a pr of sneakers and pack a pr of Clarks walking shoes. Neither are weather proofed. If one pr gets wet, I wear the other. To help them dry overnight stuff the toes with paper towel/ facecloth and/or warm them with the hair dryer.

Unless you're worried about your sneakers, why not just spray waterproofing on them .... I think it takes a few times to make it worthwhile..

as I posted above I wear a pr of sneakers and pack a pr of Clarks walking shoes. Neither are weather proofed. If one pr gets wet, I wear the other. To help them dry overnight stuff the toes with paper towel/ facecloth and/or warm them with the hair dryer.

Unless you're worried about your sneakers, why not just spray waterproofing on them .... I think it takes a few times to make it worthwhile..

Excellent advice on how to dry them and excellent idea on the spray waterproofing. I'll give that a try. Thank you!