Taking Gatorade on board Oasis?

• 1 year later...
We bring powdered Gatorade.

Due to a health condition, my husband needs to drink Gatorade daily, per his doctor's instructions. I'm assuming the powdered form also contains the electrolytes? We have a cruise coming up, which will be our first since his diagnosis. The powder would sure be easier - just add to a bottle of water. I always take an empty water bottle anyway and fill it once on board and keep it in the fridge. He collapsed on our last cruise, and we'd sure like to avoid that happening again!! Thank you!

I would hope you would legally be allowed to bring on Gatorade since they allow 2 bottles of wine on board for some odd reason.

Technically, the only beverages allowed are the two bottles of wine. However, they generally look the other way for soft drinks and bottled water.

We were just on the Oasis (2/18 to 2/26) cruise and took a case of water bottles spread across two suitcases. Had no problem/no question, though my wife had an extra bottle of hard cider (Stella Artois) left over from a six pack we had in Orlando on her carry-on. The security guard looked at it several times and then said it was not allowed. No hassle, just thought about it, didn't ask any questions. I'm thinking he was questioning wine versus hard cider. We were happy to give it up and finish the embarkation process and get onboard.

Due to a health condition, my husband needs to drink Gatorade daily, per his doctor's instructions. I'm assuming the powdered form also contains the electrolytes? We have a cruise coming up, which will be our first since his diagnosis. The powder would sure be easier - just add to a bottle of water. I always take an empty water bottle anyway and fill it once on board and keep it in the fridge. He collapsed on our last cruise, and we'd sure like to avoid that happening again!! Thank you!

Powder and liquid are the same.

But i am surprised a doc would suggest Gatorade. It has so much electrolytes, that the body removes water from the tissues to dilute before absorbing.

I deal with occupational health issues, and in one venue, 8 out 9 people who collapsed from heat stress, did so within 30 - 45 minutes of drinking a Gatorade. Since we got them off Gatorade, not a single heat stress issue in 9 years.

We brought an 8 pack of Gatorade on-board Oasis in February and had it just tagged by itself to

go right to our stateroom.

Well the porter wouldn't take it because it wasn't in our bag. And wasn't overly nice about it.

We had no problems doing the exact same thing on the Navigator in Southampton.

So we put it right on top of our roller day bag and brought it right with us no problem, however it was a bit of a pain lugging until we could get into our cabin.

I'm sure you'll have no problems getting to your stateroom.

Steve

SRF,

I have to drink Gatorade to keep my sodium up as I pass out as well. Any better options?

April

If you need lots of sodium. Gatorade is good for that. :)

But do either dilute it a bit more, or alternate with plain water.

The stuff scares me.

For overall electrolytes, I prefer a product called Sqwincher. It has less sodium, more potassium. And they have a QwikStic packaging that are individual, one bottle of water, servings. And NO sugar. Open, dump into a 16 - 20 ounce bottle of water, shake and drink.

I like the Lemon-Lime and Citrus Cooler flavors. Available from Amazon.

Powder and liquid are the same.

But i am surprised a doc would suggest Gatorade. It has so much electrolytes, that the body removes water from the tissues to dilute before absorbing.

I deal with occupational health issues, and in one venue, 8 out 9 people who collapsed from heat stress, did so within 30 - 45 minutes of drinking a Gatorade. Since we got them off Gatorade, not a single heat stress issue in 9 years.

If you deal with health issues, then you should know there are countless different medical conditions out there because everyone is different. I had a temporary issue years ago for which I needed to increase my sodium intake... quite the opposite of what so many folks need to do but again- we aren't all the same. Among other things, the cardiologist specifically told me to drink a quart of gatorade every day, which helped tremendously.

Bottled Powerade is available at select bars around the ship and included in the drink package. Lemon-Lime, Orange, Fruit Punch, and Mountain Blast (Blue) flavors are always available at the juice bar in the spa.