MDR - table for just our family or share with a group?

Soramor

Hi! My husband and I, plus two very well behaved kiddos (ages 7 & 9) are sailing on Grandeur for a 12 Night cruise (Southern Caribbean). I'm wondering if we should request a table for just our family. From the sounds of it, there won't be many kids on this cruise and I'd hate to be assigned to a table with people who didn't want to dine with children.

Two choices - Pick MyTime Dining and ask not to share when you get to the front of the line (and you generally can make reservations for when you want to have dinner). If they don't have a four top table when you show up you might have a short wait. Note that as with all shore-side restaurants if the dining room is full the wait can be longer. In MyTime they always ask if you want to share but will seat you separately if you don't want to. We normally get the same table at the same time for the entire cruise.

Or if you have First or Second Seating then check the table when you board (table is on your cruise card). If you don't like the arrangement they will have someone there that can probably move you to a table for four.

I'd say it depends on your family, if you want to meet new people and chat with them, and don't mind the small risk of them not liking kids or being terrible table mates go for it. I always enjoy dinner with a group beyond the family, we've never had a really bad experience, and usually enjoyed it.

if someone has a problem with kids they can request a move.

We booked kind of last minute so we had no choice but to take the late seating. No more MTD available. C'est la vie. I wonder if we could be reassigned based on potential availability once on board? (I did select MTD if available when I updated my cruise preferences online). My kids are used to going out to dinner and other events that require them to act appropriately and they never disappoint. I kind of line the idea of just the four of us, though, for a few reasons... One being that not everyone appreciates kids at the table, another being that this is such a nice opportunity to just really sit down, relax, talk without stressors, and I'd love to bring one of those little "table topics" deck of cards if we're seated by ourselves (if that's not tacky!)

We booked kind of last minute so we had no choice but to take the late seating. No more MTD available. C'est la vie. I wonder if we could be reassigned based on potential availability once on board? (I did select MTD if available when I updated my cruise preferences online). My kids are used to going out to dinner and other events that require them to act appropriately and they never disappoint. I kind of line the idea of just the four of us, though, for a few reasons... One being that not everyone appreciates kids at the table, another being that this is such a nice opportunity to just really sit down, relax, talk without stressors, and I'd love to bring one of those little "table topics" deck of cards if we're seated by ourselves (if that's not tacky!)

If you don't get assigned to MTD before the cruise, go to the MTD desk as soon as you board and try then. They will move you if they have space.

We always request a four person table for our family and have always received our request. Our vacations are family time and we prefer to have just the four of us together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm feeling more and more like that's the best option :) when and how have you requested? Did you go to the MDR

If you don't get assigned to MTD before the cruise, go to the MTD desk as soon as you board and try then. They will move you if they have space.

I just read this online, too! I think that's what we'll do if we aren't assigned that. I read a thread a few weeks ago about emailing the dining department and requesting it in advance

I just read this online, too! I think that's what we'll do if we aren't assigned that. I read a thread a few weeks ago about emailing the dining department and requesting it in advance

If you want to stay in traditional dining, you can email rcldining@rccl.com and ask for a table for 4. However, I don't believe that department handles MTD requests.

One time when it was just the four of us we were seated at a table for eight with two older couples. Our boys were 9 and 14. We saw their faces when we arrived. The boys charmed them all and by the end of the week the others told us how much fun they had with our family.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Forums mobile app

Is there a ship specific email?

For Jewel of the Sea?

I have a request as well.

I had a party off 12 last cruise , and wanted to be seated together-it was handled perfectly, and they gave us a couple of choices. But I thought I emailed the actual ships dining manager directly, a week before sailing...

I could be mistaken.

Is there a ship specific email?

For Jewel of the Sea?

I have a request as well.

I had a party off 12 last cruise , and wanted to be seated together-it was handled perfectly, and they gave us a couple of choices. But I thought I emailed the actual ships dining manager directly, a week before sailing...

I could be mistaken.

There are ship specific emails, but they vary by ship. If you use the rcldining@rccl.com email, they will direct your email to the proper ship email.

Always sit with others. Our girls have been cruising since they were 4/6 and have always enjoyed dining with others. We have only had one couple change tables but, they were quickly replaced with a couple that enjoyed our daughters company. However, this assumes that the children are well behaved and have proper table manners. I am sure yours will be very welcome.

Hi! My husband and I, plus two very well behaved kiddos (ages 7 & 9) are sailing on Grandeur for a 12 Night cruise (Southern Caribbean). I'm wondering if we should request a table for just our family. From the sounds of it, there won't be many kids on this cruise and I'd hate to be assigned to a table with people who didn't want to dine with children.

You're right, there won't be that many, but if you would like to dine with others go for it, I sure enjoy it. That said, we usually dine in the late seating because there are less kids. If people don't like their dining assignments, they can change. FYI, the worst experience I had was a large group of families sat together at one table and their 10 kids had another nearby table and were totally unsupervised. Our waiter had that table to so it was annoying.

But on the other hand we had a table with 2 parents whom I would say were in their 30s, their two kids about your age, and all 4 grandparents. They kids were wonderful and well behaved. The 2 grandmothers however was another story. :eek:

There are ship specific emails, but they vary by ship. If you use the rcldining@rccl.com email, they will direct your email to the proper ship email.

That's exactly what happened. I emailed that email address and they contacted me this morning to tell me that they forwarded my request to our specific ship. The ship in turn verified our request and the contact at the main email from this morning forwarded their confirmation back to me

Yes we are, and that's fine (not preferred, but fine). Just added some Table Topic for Kids cards to my Amazon list :)

Glad it worked out for you. We've had pretty good luck with the rcldining email.

Glad it worked out for you. We've had pretty good luck with the rcldining email.

Thanks for your help! They assigned us a table (337) but I have no idea where it actually is! I guess the downside of sailing one of the smaller/older ships is that there isn't the wealth of info out there like there is for the bigger/newer ones. That's ok :)

Someone shared a map with table numbers on the Freedom of the Seas but we found out that the tables and numbers change configurations based on the number of passengers at each sitting and table requests. The numbers will be on the tables so when you get on the ship, go wander around the dining room and find your table. If it is not correct, see the staff and they may be able to make changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've cruised twice with our kids - at the time they were young teens. The first time we were at a table for 8 with 2 older couples. We all really enjoyed each other and the older couples seemed to enjoy chatting with our kids. And our kids were well behaved and would sit and observe when it was more adult talking. The second time we were paired with a family with kids that were similar age. That was fun too. We have really enjoyed having dinner with others and meeting other people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums