NCL Cuba cruises thru Dec and excursions

2paradise

I received an e mail from NCL yesterday concerning our Aug. 14th Sky cruise. It was changed over to Cuba. We have until Feb. 17th to decide if we want to change over or cancel our cruise. So I am sure it will be after that date to start booking cruises for Cuba as they will have a better account if available cabins. I was told by our PCC that if I booked today my $399.00 pp inside would go for over $600.00. Needless to say upgrading to a $900.00 pp for a balcony is out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I just read the NCL Sky will offer cruises to Cuba through Dec 2017. Anyone know when they will open booking past April?

And does anyone know what excursions are offered for Cuba cruises through NCL?

Thank you!

They are open for reservations beginning 2/21

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My friend and I had been searching 5 different cruise lines for a Cuban itinerary that we really liked. We knew that these cruises would be in high demand, but we were shocked when we booked on Oceania Insignia the first day they opened an "all Cuba" itinerary for December, 2017. Within 2 days, our cruise and the one before us were completely full. :o

Hi

I just read the NCL Sky will offer cruises to Cuba through Dec 2017. Anyone know when they will open booking past April?

And does anyone know what excursions are offered for Cuba cruises through NCL?

Thank you!

The excursions are out, you should be able to see them on NCL's website. We go in May & have our tour booked.

I checked out the shore excursions being offered by NCL so far, and I don't see a whole lot there that really appeals to me. I was hoping for a full day tour of part of the island, but the only full day tour I see is "flora and fauna of Soroa", which isn't what I had in mind. Can we book private tours on our own, and if so, where would I find out about them?

I checked out the shore excursions being offered by NCL so far, and I don't see a whole lot there that really appeals to me. I was hoping for a full day tour of part of the island, but the only full day tour I see is "flora and fauna of Soroa", which isn't what I had in mind. Can we book private tours on our own, and if so, where would I find out about them?

Hopefully someone can help answer your question, I just don't know much about Cuba. We just chose one of the NCL tours.

I am traveling independently (Delta flight from Miami) rather than on a cruise, and I have a tour booked with Havana Journeys. You may want to try them as they have several options and good reviews. Keep in mind to meet the People to People visa (or whatever visa you are sailing on) requirements you need to "self certify" by keeping a copy of your itinerary and any receipt for 5 years; true, you will probably never need this or be asked for it, but it is what the US requires.

Soroa is in one of the natural areas closest to Havana, if that is the port being used. It would be a very long day to get there (a couple of hours ride), see a bit and return to Havana on the same day, but it is possible. Do some research about sights and activities around Vinales (tobacco farms, caves horseback riding, etc). Any taxi driver could probably take you, but I understand wanting to book ahead, and also have an English speaking guide.

If you only have a short time in port, I advise spending it exploring Havana.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for information about private tours. What are your opinions concerning walking tours?

Havana is very easy to explore on your own. We felt very safe everywhere we went and all the people are very friendly and helpful.

We were there in Dec with Celestyal Crystal. We walked around old Havana by ourselves, then grabbed one of the bicycle taxi guides who pedaled us to all the places of interest. We hired him for an hour, and he was so good that we booked an additional hour with him. We had a great time and saw everything without having to walk or be in the sun (it was shaded). It's a wonderful way to see the city! It ran $20 an hour for 2 pax and was absolutely worth it.

The next day we took a coconut taxi from the pier to the Nacionale Hotel and did the tour of the hotel (which was fascinating). It is in the exact condition as it was in the 50's! After that we walked a couple of blocks over to the Havana Libre hotel (used to be the havana hilton back in the day) and rode the el to the top floor where we took some spectacular photos of the entire city. The views are breathtaking!

If you want to know dates of buildings, or history, read a guidebook beforehand. (The tour guide can make up anything s/he wants and you wouldn't know the difference anyway.)

Otherwise just stroll at your leisure, or get a bici-taxi to pedal you around the Vieja neighborhood as suggested. If you like art, the museum is pretty good, especially if you've never seen Cuban artists.

Get yourself over to the Vedado neighborhood and look at some of the old mansions too. There's a dance museum in the neighborhood as well, with lots of items related to the famous Alicia Alonso.

• 4 weeks later...

We are taking NCL in Dec to Cuba. I would like an independent tour but am hearing from one of the tour groups that they cannot take cruise passengers. does anyone know about this? Also if you go on your own does the ships visa cover you?

Judy

There is no "ship's visa" afaik. Each person needs to get an individual visa, which the cruise line may help supply, just as the airlines do.

"I would like an independent tour"

If so, I can suggest a lovely young woman who showed me around. She is a native of Havana and has a comfortable new Hyundai (4-door, size of a Honda Fit, with ac). You can contact her by email if you like. I can give you more details if requested.

" am hearing from one of the tour groups that they cannot take cruise passengers"

Well, there were certainly large groups wandering around Havana Vieja this week and last, following a guide with a cruise line placard. They can't all be ship excursions can they?

This is what I received from Locally Sourced Havana Tour Co -

I have been informed by our management team that we can not take cruise ship passenger bookings at this time but this might change in the not too distant future as we are about to change the way we operate our tours in Havana.

so maybe they were all cruise tours.

I just e mailed Urban adventures and am waiting to hear from them. We are a group of 10 but would love your guides name - maybe she could do a walking tour with us. Thank you

We are taking NCL in Dec to Cuba. I would like an independent tour but am hearing from one of the tour groups that they cannot take cruise passengers. does anyone know about this? Also if you go on your own does the ships visa cover you?

Judy

Judy, they would only know you were a cruise passenger if you told them. You can go anywhere you want, with whomever you want to go with. It's super easy to do your own sightseeing without joining a tour group.

We are also planning a cruise on NCL on Dec 11th to Cuba. We're going back for the music which was missing on our last trip (due to the death of Fidel). Are you on this same cruise with us?

We are a group of 10 but would love your guides name - maybe she could do a walking tour with us.

You can contact her at:

danayruzrodri@gmail.com

She is very personable and cultured (a trained ballerina/dancer who has traveled to the US, Chile, and Mexico, married to an equestrian trainer fro the Cuban Olympic team), a native of Havana, with good English (that will only get better the more she speaks with you), and she is starting out in the business of tour guiding. I would love to see this lovely woman be given more opportunity to share her enthusiasm for and knowledge of her city with visitors.

This is what I received from Locally Sourced Havana Tour Co -

I have been informed by our management team that we can not take cruise ship passenger bookings at this time but this might change in the not too distant future as we are about to change the way we operate our tours in Havana.

so maybe they were all cruise tours.

I just e mailed Urban adventures and am waiting to hear from them. We are a group of 10 but would love your guides name - maybe she could do a walking tour with us. Thank you

We are going on the sky on may 8th and we are taking a full day private tour with Havana Tour Company. We arranged a meeting place near port since they cannot pick up at the pier. We found people on our roll call to join us to lower the cost. It seems like from the response they are trying to come up with a better way to meet up with cruise passengers. We also had to change the time of the tour because we needed to be sure we would be ashore on time. Hope this helps.

...they are trying to come up with a better way to meet up with cruise passengers.

Then they are not such "experts" on Havana as they are posing as.

There is a pull-out for cars right across the 'boulevard' (Avenida Sao Pedro) from the pier. Someone could easily wait there, either in a car or on foot with a sign.

The better place, IMO, would be just to the left (with back to the ship), at the Armadores de Santander Hotel (on the corner of Avenida Sao Pedro and Calle Luz), which has an outdoor, roofed terrace to get a drink or a coffee while waiting or organizing a group. (You can find it by looking across the street from the ship for the classic cars that wait there on Avenida Sao Pedro for passengers.)

If these tour people have a vehicle, it is easy to park on Oficios, next to the park ( a bit of green, which is next to the hotel. There is a small store there (white gate on doorway, Oficios is the street inland from Sao Pedro, abutting the park) where you can buy bottled water to take with you on the tour.

Or meet at the park itself. There is a low wall to sit on while you, or they, wait.

You can easily see all of this on a map of Havana.

I would love to see this lovely woman be given more opportunity to share her enthusiasm for and knowledge of her city with visitors.

Thank you for the reference. I got in touch with her and her written English is a heck better than mine!

Havana is very easy to explore on your own. We felt very safe everywhere we went and all the people are very friendly and helpful.

We were there in Dec with Celestyal Crystal. We walked around old Havana by ourselves, then grabbed one of the bicycle taxi guides who pedaled us to all the places of interest. We hired him for an hour, and he was so good that we booked an additional hour with him. We had a great time and saw everything without having to walk or be in the sun (it was shaded). It's a wonderful way to see the city! It ran $20 an hour for 2 pax and was absolutely worth it.

The next day we took a coconut taxi from the pier to the Nacionale Hotel and did the tour of the hotel (which was fascinating). It is in the exact condition as it was in the 50's! After that we walked a couple of blocks over to the Havana Libre hotel (used to be the havana hilton back in the day) and rode the el to the top floor where we took some spectacular photos of the entire city. The views are breathtaking!

Would the bicycle taxi bee safe for a single woman to use?