A Triumph review by a HAL cruiser

sapete

As promised, here's a short review on my recent Carnival cruise with my comparison to HAL. We decided to do a short New-Orleans based cruise for my birthday. Three days in New Orleans, the a five-day Mexico cruise and the 2 days in N.O. after the cruise.

We just returned off the Carnival Triumph cruise and I have to say I was impressed--Carnival met or exceeds HAL is all areas but suite perks. Our Grand Suite (think Neptune SA) only had two bottle of water and one bag of laundry as in-suite perks. Other perks match HALs with embarkation and departure perks and a special GS line vs Neptune concierges. The suite itself was a first cousin to an SA.

Entertainment: This category goes to Carnival. You have to really try to get bored.

Service: Smiles all around. Not an issue

Passengers: The demographic was much wider than HAL's. Truly ran from 20's to 70s. We were the "older" couple. Everyone just having fun.

Embarkation and Disembarkation: We "dragged" our rollies both on and off and so it was a simple walk-on, walk-off.

Food and drink: I left this for last. Much to DW's and my surprise Carnival took this category hands-down other than room service (where HAL is hard to beat). Multiple venues for every meal, Steakhouse offerings beat the Pinnacle (best lobster I have had on a ship). The Seafood Shack on board had tempura-fried shrimp, fried clams, lobster rolls, snow crab by the pound, oyster on the half-shell. All these for a minor charge but all worth it. At almost every meal DW or myself would say, Carnival wins on this one. I was not expecting this.

Drinks: We went with the Cheers drinks package at a pre-cruise cost of $49.95 per person per day. We broke even after the 5-6 spirit based drink. The biggest difference I see in the two packages is that HAL limits the package to a drink price below I believe $7.95 where the is basically no limit on the Carnival package.

Where did HAL stand-out: Like I said--room service suite perks, Neptune Lounge, disembarkation where HAL lets you stay in your stateroom where carnivals wants all folks out by 8:30.

Will I still cruise HAL--yes, the aft-wrap SB on the Vista's cannot be beat for Alaska. Will I now add Carnival for other cruises. Yes. We are thinking about them for our upcoming two-week Hawaii cruise.

Bottom line--I had a lot of fun on carnival and I will be back!

Thanks for your review! We usually sail Carnival but will be doing our second HAL cruise next month (Eurodam) and looking forward to it!

I find all the lines are more similar than different if you have an open mind! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the information. Hubby and I are in our 40's with teen boys so Carnival up to this point has more than fit our needs, especially for the price tag. I have now made it to Platinum, and they should all have it by March 2018, unless CCL changes the rules - please don't Carnival!:o

We like the age ranges on Carnival, and really enjoy the Platinum perks. It is really helpful to know the food review concerning HAL - I too am surprised Carnival gets the nod there. The food, and the variety of options is one of the other big considerations for us when choosing a trip/

For what it is worth, if you look at other lines, you might want to try Princess; we prefer the demographic more (still get the age range, with less over the top "FUN" - aka "party drink til you drop atmosphere" that can be prevalent on their shorter trips), and find their food to be comparable. We like some things more on CCL and others on Princess. But, as long as we continue to do North American based runs, Carnival will be our line of choice. We plan on using Princess when we start Asia and Europe.

Welcome to the Carnival family!

Thanks for the review! Even though my wife and I are in our 40's, we enjoy cruising with HAL. We are booked on the Triumph for this Saturday the 18th. We last cruised with Carnival on our Honeymoon in 1996 and are looking forward to cruising with them again.

I've been on Westerdam and Oosterdam. Food on Oosterdam tasted like water except for prime rib on Lido. Neither ship has an atrium. GS is stuck down in what looked like a basement. Have to say I got good prices for a balcony for solo trips. Cabins nicely appointed. Reaslly racy pool games surprised me.

Your detailed comparison was interesting and informative. I have considered trying HAL after my grandchildren quit cruising with me. Your remarks have me thinking I will just stick with Carnival for two reasons. I don't book suites, and I really want to drive to the home port.

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and happy sailing.

• 5 months later...

Food and drink: I left this for last. Much to DW's and my surprise Carnival took this category hands-down other than room service (where HAL is hard to beat). Multiple venues for every meal, Steakhouse offerings beat the Pinnacle (best lobster I have had on a ship). The Seafood Shack on board had tempura-fried shrimp, fried clams, lobster rolls, snow crab by the pound, oyster on the half-shell. All these for a minor charge but all worth it. At almost every meal DW or myself would say, Carnival wins on this one. I was not expecting this.

We will be cruising on the Triumph this September for the first time. I read that it doesn't have a steakhouse? So when you mention steakhouse offerings....are these different upcharge offerings in the main dining room? It's been over three years since my last cruise and apparently alot had changed!