Wine prices in MDR

janny444

Hi....can anyone please give me an idea from what price bottles of wine....red...in the MDR. We are not wine connoisseurs at all. It is some years since we last cruised with P&O so have lost touch with their pricing

I have just returned from Oceana's 35 night cruise and found the best value was to pre-purchase the 'Commodores' wine package.

It ranges from 4 bottles for £88.00 to a full 12 bottles for £230.00.

Two great reds in the package were the Chianti Classico Riserva and the Puritan McLaren Vale Shiraz.

The 'captain's' collection comes in slightly cheaper at 4 bottles for £74.50 and 12 bottles for £200.00

Best red in that package is the Billi Billi Shiraz.

Hope that helps.

Billi Billi is £18.00 a bottle. The house wine, recommended by Olly Smith is about £15. There are quite a lot of wines between those 2 prices. No. Need to spend more than £20

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have just returned from Oceana's 35 night cruise and found the best value was to pre-purchase the 'Commodores' wine package.

It ranges from 4 bottles for £88.00 to a full 12 bottles for £230.00.

Two great reds in the package were the Chianti Classico Riserva and the Puritan McLaren Vale Shiraz.

The 'captain's' collection comes in slightly cheaper at 4 bottles for £74.50 and 12 bottles for £200.00

Best red in that package is the Billi Billi Shiraz.

Hope that helps.

We agree about Billi Billi then. :)

When I have looked at the wine packages they seem pointless.

There is virtually no saving as the theoretical saving is calculated against the highest priced wines, so if you picked anything else you lost.

You are also tied into purchasing the whole package when you may change your mind, and tied in when there is no benefit.

There is virtually no saving as the theoretical saving is calculated against the highest priced wines, so if you picked anything else you lost.

You are also tied into purchasing the whole package when you may change your mind, and tied in when there is no benefit.

And you do not get your discount as you can not double discount.

Link to wine menu on other thread on MDR wine prices.

:) there are two threads going at once on the same topic. :)

As my wife now drinks very little I have taken to buying wine by the glass on cruises, and P&O pricing per glass quite often matches closely with the full bottle price; and, if you keep friendly with the wine waiter, by the end of the cruise your glass size is likely to increase.:)

And you do not get your discount as you can not double discount.

Please allow me to add a few figures of bottles on the Commodore's Collection...

Chianti Classico Riserva..........Wine List Price £22.50

Puritan Shiraz...........................Wine list price £22.50

Sancerre Domaine Du Nozay..Wine list price £22.50

Sauvignon Blanc Hunters Valley..Wine list price £22.50

Twelve bottle package cost £230.00

Twelve bottles bought individually £270.00

Twelve bottle package Caribbean Discount (£23.00)

Twelve bottles bought individually Caribbean Discount (27.00)

Net cost of package £207.00

Net cost if individually bought £243.00.

It doesn't take a mathematical genius to see that with your Caribbean discount there is a saving of £3.00 a bottle.

I will of course concede that without a Caribbean discount there is a slightly greater saving though you do eventually spend more.

Happy Dining.

And for anyone thinking of sailing with Cunard , same parent company remember, their very cheapest house wine is 35USD plus 15%. Or around 32GBP. Wine on Cunard is so expensive.

We drink Cloudy Bay Sauvignon. On P&O this is 30GBP. Cunard sells it at 60USD plus the rip off 15%. So double the price.

P&O coming out well here.

But Carnival must be laughing at the Cunard mugs paying double.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And for anyone thinking of sailing with Cunard , same parent company remember, their very cheapest house wine is 35USD plus 15%. Or around 32GBP. Wine on Cunard is so expensive.

We drink Cloudy Bay Sauvignon. On P&O this is 30GBP. Cunard sells it at 60USD plus the rip off 15%. So double the price.

P&O coming out well here.

But Carnival must be laughing at the Cunard mugs paying double.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the contrary, the 'Cunard Mugs' enjoy a grander ambiance in which to imbibe and they moan a lot less.

Having sailed Cunard QM2 in December and P&O Oceana in January my mind is still fresh.

Only in the context of what I actually stated..."Best red in that package is the Billi Billi Shiraz."

For the little extra dosh the Puritan is far superior.

Good heavens man, do you think I am made of money £22.00 for a bottle of wine, that £4 more than Billi Billi.

Now what was it called.....

:) :) :)

Good heavens man, do you think I am made of money £22.00 for a bottle of wine, that £4 more than Billi Billi.

Well judging by the length of your 'signature' list I have every reason to believe that.

:rolleyes:

And further to the above, I make it £3.55: less your 10% Peninsular Club discount.

Well judging by the length of your 'signature' list I have every reason to believe that.

:rolleyes:

See I told you I was poor. Now I know why.

:)