White Pass Train question

love2cruiseseattle

We will be in Skagway in late May and have read good reviews on the train. Can anyone let me know what option they liked the best.

Catching the train up and then boarding the bus and coming back that way or doing the train round trip. Or any other suggestions.

Also is it better to take the later departing time in case there is fog in the morning?

We have never done an Alaskan cruise and love to take pictures.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!!!!

I'm basically trying to decide the same things. I think I've narrowed it down to Chilkoot Charters Yukon Expedition and White Pass Scenic Railway Tour. Train/bus or bus/train. This tour gets great reviews and comments. I think I will book it independently and not through Princess.

I like the idea of the smaller busses or vans versus the large Princess Greyhound-type bus. This tour is 7-1/2 hours long. We will be in Skagway from 7a-9p so there shouldn't be a problem getting back in plenty of time. Chilkoot says they haven't missed a departure yet!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last August I did the bus into the Yukon and train back. It was wonderful!! We made several stops along the way to take in the pristine surroundings and for photo opportunities. If you take the train back into town, sit on the right side for the best views and photos.

I'd do this trip again in a heart beat.

I have done all the routes and directions multiple times. For a true railfan and history interest the Lake Bennett train, can't be beat. :) endless scenery as well. There is no guarantee of no fog in the afternoon, I certainly have experienced it. I suggest, instead of trying to predict the future- look for a tour that is of most interest to you and fits your port day like you wish.

Although Chilkoot Charters is well run, and I have gone with them, Personally I really like Dyea Dave. :) Nice feature is lunch possibility at the Chilkoot Bakery- which is grossly superior to Caribou Crossing. :)

I have done this tour 2 times with Chilkoot and really enjoyed it. It was the morning tour leaving from Skagway and coming back on the small van. When you leave from Skagway to get the best views and pictures, set on the left side of the train, facing the engine. If you come back too Skagway, set on the right side of the train for the best views. This is a wonderful tour and I never worried about getting back to the ship late. Have a great time.

Our Chilkoot tour we opted to take the morning bus up and train down...this option worked best for us. We were picked up at the ship and on our way and then arrived back on the train right into town in time for lunch. Our weather was great in mid May when we did this option.

I have been in touch with Chilkoot tours and they say that there is enough time to get the 07:30 excursion when the NCL Sun is scheduled to dock at 07:00. There are no afternoon tours on Sept 28th, the day we arrive there and I really want to take the train up and bus back. The 8:30 excursion is bus up. Does anybody know if one can disembark in time for the 07:30 excursion?

I'm thinking it should be ok or Chilkoot wouldn't say so but I thought I would throw this out here to people who have been there before

TIA

I have been in touch with Chilkoot tours and they say that there is enough time to get the 07:30 excursion when the NCL Sun is scheduled to dock at 07:00. There are no afternoon tours on Sept 28th, the day we arrive there and I really want to take the train up and bus back. The 8:30 excursion is bus up. Does anybody know if one can disembark in time for the 07:30 excursion?

I'm thinking it should be ok or Chilkoot wouldn't say so but I thought I would throw this out here to people who have been there before

TIA

Chilkoot is accurate Thousands of people take their tours with this same schedule. The only issue you have to worry about is you being ready for this early start. Your port time isn't a problem.

Chilkoot is accurate Thousands of people take their tours with this same schedule. The only issue you have to worry about is you being ready for this early start. Your port time isn't a problem.

Thank you for your quick response. You are so informative. I read your posts constantly :D

Does the train from Fraser back to Skagway usually book up very far in advance? We will be in Skagway on Monday, May 22, and may not know our plans for another few weeks but I'm getting anxious that the train will be full before our plans are final. There is a cancellation fee, so we prefer not to book the train ticket until we are sure of our plans. Anyone have any knowledge on how far in advance is safe. There will be 4 ships in port that day.

Thanks,

Kathy

There are basically four options to consider with train tours. The round trip train does a nice tour with views DIFFERENT in each direction. The history is significant and riding narrow gage is a highlight for railfans. I have traveled all these routes, numerous times.

One way Fraser trains can be a combo with 2 routes. Fraser/ Skagway, - goes between the two on the Klondike Highway- which was only completed in the 70's. A round trip that is short, for those with that priority. This is NOT get into the Yukon., but does need a passport to take. Views are different. Although constantly written the road is the "same" as the train in support of driving, the common views are only a couple miles. With the interest in varied scenery the combo trips offer more.

Then there are the Emerald Lake Journeys, with is a turn around point, and a nice scenic stop. Two combo tours available, the same one way Fraser train, then round trip into the Yukon by the Klondike Highway. A top choice for those interested in history and railfans is the Lake Bennett train. Very scenic journey with interesting history, with a stop and walking tour available.

Take a look at maps, one available on the White Pass RR site.

Determine- what YOU wish to see and do, how much time and money you want to spend. Clearly ALL excellent choices to consider.

Does the train from Fraser back to Skagway usually book up very far in advance? We will be in Skagway on Monday, May 22, and may not know our plans for another few weeks but I'm getting anxious that the train will be full before our plans are final. There is a cancellation fee, so we prefer not to book the train ticket until we are sure of our plans. Anyone have any knowledge on how far in advance is safe. There will be 4 ships in port that day.

Thanks,

Kathy

I've called a few days ahead and also have gotten walk up. There is no need to book before you are ready.

Hoping someone chimes in. I've read about the helicopter and plane tours sometimes experiencing fog during the early morning tours. Hoping that's not the case here.

Frankly- it's a waste of time trying to predict this and you won't know about any weather until you are there and experiencing it. Although people claim they are going to wait and "see", that is useless too. Your view is only a few miles and NO indication of anything past that range.

I've traveled this probably over 40 times. sure there can be fog, comes and goes, at any time. Way too many myths are perpetuated by single claims. I've had several trips where there was fog in the afternoon. But- the odds are more favorable for at least part of your trip being clear. I've driven through- total white outs, and 10 foot snow backs at the summit, only to have a few miles and minutes later, clear, sunny skies at Tormented Valley.

If you aren't accepting of these possibilities, and would be disappointed, then perhaps, consider something else.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the difference between these two excursions through Celebrity?

White Pass Railway and Skagway Highlights

White Pass Railway and Klondike Highway Journey

We are interested in going through the cruiseline to use our OBC. I did call Celebrity and they had no idea.

I appreciate any information that can be provided:)