Norwegian yellow fever vaccine requirements for Panama cruise (westbound that stops C

highlands1234

I would love to hear from any cruisers that did a westbound cruise on Norwegian that stopped in Cartagena Colombia before going on to Costa Rica, that did not have a yellow fever vaccine. We dont have a yellow fever vaccine and don't want to get one and the CDC doesn't recommend one for Cartagena. So my question is does Costa Rica consider you coming a yellow fever zone if you just visited Cartagena? Also will NCL require proof of vaccination before boarding for this cruise?

Thanks!

I would love to hear from any cruisers that did a westbound cruise on Norwegian that stopped in Cartagena Colombia before going on to Costa Rica, that did not have a yellow fever vaccine. We dont have a yellow fever vaccine and don't want to get one and the CDC doesn't recommend one for Cartagena. So my question is does Costa Rica consider you coming a yellow fever zone if you just visited Cartagena? Also will NCL require proof of vaccination before boarding for this cruise?

Thanks!

No, and no.

We just got back from the Jewel's 16-night westbound Panama Canal cruise (Jan. 20-Feb. 5) and I had the same question/concerns about the Yellow Fever vaccine since we too had a port call in Colombia (Cartagena) and then Costa Rica. Long story short: you do NOT need a Yellow Fever vaccine for this itinerary (in terms of governmental and NCL rules). I had my PCC at NCL confirm this in writing before we left.

We did the westbound PC in December and had the exact same question. If you search the CDC website you can find mention of an exemption for travelers who spend less than 12 hours in Colombia, but is oriented towards airline passengers. NCL was of no help to me. On the outbreak maps Cartagena is a tiny dot in a sea of outbreak, which seemed suspicious. Due to this and since my wife is a mosquito magnet we decided to get the YF vaccine and yellow cards just to be safe. There were no questions asked at any stops after Colombia, particularly Costa Rica who claims they ban entry without proof of vaccination when coming from Colombia.

Have done this route twice and no, you def do NOT need a yellow fever jab!

We had yellow fever jabs years ago, and kept them updated as we went to Kenya a lot, the doctor is Kenya was laughing his head off at us for going to get jabbed. He said he had never seen a case of yellow fever in his entire lifetime - He attended us for a few years in Kenya, and we were in some "dodgy" places in the bush...

Its a painful jab incidentally, and I have no fear of needles - the after effect is painful during, after, and days after the jab...

Forget it - for cruising visits - you categorically do not NEED yellow fever immunisation...

Its a choice - not a "must do".

Don't know about today but it used to be pretty expensive, luckily my employer paid for anything like that.

I wonder if it's required for trips up the river Amazon ?

Funny you mention the Amazon Pspercy. A couple months ago I booked a amazon cruise through Cunard and I double checked all the requirements for all port stops. Basically the route included Barbados and Brazil. Barbados requires the vaccine if coming from a yellow fever zone, but since that stop was first it wasn't an issue. So I purchased the ticket and did the online checkin through Cunards vacation planner, which also stated no vaccination was required. Then 1 week before the cruise I get a notice that we need a yellow fever vaccination to board. A few phone calls later I was credited my purchase. But that experience is the main reason I posted this thread. I don't want to take my chances. Even when you double check all the rules and requirements you can still be denied boarding depending on the subjective rules of the cruise company. It worked out though since the outbreak happened right when the ship would've been there.

Edited by highlands1234