Is the all inclusive drinks package really a perk ?

justfred

It seems that Rccl have introduced the so called all inclusive free drinks package on many of their cruises, at the same time the cost of these cruises have rocketed in price so you are actually paying for the drinks package whether you drink alcohol or not.

Currently as Diamond & D plus members we enjoy the evening complimentary cocktail hour, but.in effect the introduction of the so called free drinks package for everyone now deems this Diamond perk totally obsolete, because in effect we now also have to pay for it because It has taken us many years and many thousands of pounds to reach D plus.

This is not just a moan about changes but we feel it just removes one more perk from loyal cruises

What are your thoughts , we would appreciate your input

Christine & Pete

So far, US bookings don't have these "all-inclusive" cruise prices available. However, if they did, I would be disappointed if we did not have the ability to opt out of the inclusive deal to get a lower price.

Oh we would definitely have to have the option to not have the drinks, since neither my husband or I can drink because of medication. That's one of the things I wish they would offer at all-inclusive resorts, we never feel like we get our money's worth.

Unfortunately as more and more ships, as well as larger ships, enter the market, the lines have to work harder to fill berths. This will come at the cost of what is least to the ships, and lets face it, drinks are cheap in relation to other items. I completely see where the perks are being diluted through different advertising promos. It is what it is.

There are always things that are included in the price/your cruisefare that you may not want, whether they are mentioned separately (drink package) or not.

Adventure Ocean. The Flowrider. The Rockclimbing Wall. And the list goes on. Everyone pays for those things.

So this is just one more thing.

I was looking into a competing cruise line's offerings and noticed a perk of a free drink package. When I went to book, I saw they wanted to charge me $11 a day for drink gratuities, as if I had purchased the package at retail price. I'm just curious: Is it that way on RCCL, or is the free drink package really free?

I was looking into a competing cruise line's offerings and noticed a perk of a free drink package. When I went to book, I saw they wanted to charge me $11 a day for drink gratuities, as if I had purchased the package at retail price. I'm just curious: Is it that way on RCCL, or is the free drink package really free?

If you are referring to NCL, yes, you have to pay the 18% gratuity for the UBP perk. For $11 per day, that is only one or two drinks. It's worth it IMO.

If you are referring to NCL, yes, you have to pay the 18% gratuity for the UBP perk. For $11 per day, that is only one or two drinks. It's worth it IMO.

Yes, I'm not doubting that, although some people don't have a couple of drinks each and every day. I was just curious :)

Yes, I'm not doubting that, although some people don't have a couple of drinks each and every day. I was just curious :)

With NCL the 18% Gratuity comes to $14.22 a day for the Ultimate beverage package as a perk.

Not sure why anyone would choose that perk if they didn't consume a few alcoholic or soft drinks a day. For those that like a few drinks a day, $14.22 is a bargain.

I would bet the gratuities are added, it seems that there is nothing free, only reduced.

No Gratuities to pay on RCCI. I have a free select package in March and can upgrade to Deluxe for $10 + 18%.

Select has now gone, but they are honouring it for everyone who either paid for it or got it as a free perk.

No Gratuities to pay on RCCI. I have a free select package in March and can upgrade to Deluxe for $10 + 18%. ...

Someone reported on another thread that they called RC about this upgrade price, and the RC rep said they are now charging $17/day plus 18%. We all know how much we can trust the info we get from phone reps, but just in case, I'd bring anything you have in writing that references the $10/day upgrade price.

Not sure if you are aware, but NCL also has an option to select the Norwegian Rate where you don't have to select any of the perks, just the cabin fares. That might be an option for those who do not want to purchase any type of drinks.

Not sure if you are aware, but NCL also has an option to select the Norwegian Rate where you don't have to select any of the perks, just the cabin fares. That might be an option for those who do not want to purchase any type of drinks.

Or one could choose $50 shore excursion credit or the internet credit for 125 mins.

So far, US bookings don't have these "all-inclusive" cruise prices available. However, if they did, I would be disappointed if we did not have the ability to opt out of the inclusive deal to get a lower price.

I agree with you Bob, myself my husband and two sons have booked two cabins, to try and get around this we booked one gty cabin which is £700 cheaper than an inside cabin, but as we had to book the two adults in seperate cabins it means we will only get use of one of us getting the deluxe package, it would not be so bad if my son would get the refreshment package but he will only get the soda package.

I would say that Royal Caribean are making much more out of this deal than they are losing.

Someone reported on another thread that they called RC about this upgrade price, and the RC rep said they are now charging $17/day plus 18%. We all know how much we can trust the info we get from phone reps, but just in case, I'd bring anything you have in writing that references the $10/day upgrade price.

Thanks for the update Bob. I will certainly print out the email I received from RCCI stating the $10 upgrade cost.

I don't believe the all you can drink package is a "perk", to get it you must pay for it. A "perk" in my mind is something extra thrown in for free. The drink package is an option.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

My Original Booking with US TA : E3 Balcony ($2000)+ 2 x Premium Drinks Package @$400 Each.

Total cost $2800 (£2,240)

New Booking with RCCI UK: Junior Suite & Free Select package $2315(£1850)

Actually cost me less to get the free drinks package.

Even with the $165 to upgrade to the Deluxe package I am still $320 ahead and also in a Junior Suite which means double points.

So, sometimes, free is actually free if you look at all the options available.

I think the free drinks perk is a European thing; I've never seen it offered in the US from the cruise line (maybe from a travel agent).

I can see how you would feel like you're losing the value of your diamond perk, especially if the rates have gone up to match the "freebie." To look at it another way, if the rates haven't gone up by the full amount of the package (meaning you're at least getting the package at a discount) and you're a person who drinks more than your 3 free drinks or wants to drink at different times of day than happy hour, then it could still be a valuable perk that is separate from your diamond drink perk.

I see your point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems that Rccl have introduced the so called all inclusive free drinks package on many of their cruises, at the same time the cost of these cruises have rocketed in price so you are actually paying for the drinks package whether you drink alcohol or not.

Currently as Diamond & D plus members we enjoy the evening complimentary cocktail hour, but.in effect the introduction of the so called free drinks package for everyone now deems this Diamond perk totally obsolete, because in effect we now also have to pay for it because It has taken us many years and many thousands of pounds to reach D plus.

This is not just a moan about changes but we feel it just removes one more perk from loyal cruises

What are your thoughts , we would appreciate your input

Christine & Pete

Certainly isnt a perk to my family my husband dosnt drink and I have two sons 17 and 14 who only get the soda package, which in my opinion should be the refreshment package.

That is the exact reason we started cruising NCL. The drink package only cost us the gratuities and on Carnival and RCL, a drink package cost us $400 a person for a seven day cruise. NCL definitely has the best value if you drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk