Flightseeing Tours-Skagway or Ketchikan??

gagenie

I can guarantee rave recommendations for both, especially if someone has only done one.. :)

I've flown in Alaska multiple times and do so every trip. There are different factors to perhaps consider? Preference of aircraft? sightseeing preference- glacier flights are usually add on tours. Regular Misty flights are alpine lakes, a lot of greenery , water landings??? glacier landings? Does one of these tours offer ideal tour scheduling for you???

I can guarantee rave recommendations for both, especially if someone has only done one.. :)

I've flown in Alaska multiple times and do so every trip. There are different factors to perhaps consider? Preference of aircraft? sightseeing preference- glacier flights are usually add on tours. Regular Misty flights are alpine lakes, a lot of greenery , water landings??? glacier landings? Does one of these tours offer ideal tour scheduling for you???

I sorta figured I might get rave reviews!!:) As I'm sure I would be thrilled with either.

We have enough time in both ports and nothing planned in either yet. I assume Ketchikan would be Misty Fjord flight? and Skagway would be Glacier Bay? We will be going to Glacier Bay on the ship but I'm sure it would be something to see from the air. Just can't really decide.

Thank you!

I recommend Ketchikan for flightseeing... Skagway has too many activities for a flight...

• White Pass Railway
  • Yukon
  • Liarsville
  • Red Onion

We did the Bennett/White Pass Railway/Yukon last time we was in Skagway so I was wanting to do something different this time. Haven't been to Liarsville or Red Onion so I will check those out and see if it's something we would like. Also thought about going to Haines for the day. So much to do with so little time :)

I've done several flights out of Ketchikan, some thru the cruise line and also with Michelle /Island Wings. Only once out of Skagway over Glacier Bay with Mountain Flying (based down in Haines) Also several out of Juneau.

My preference would be Skagway (or Juneau) over the glaciers and icefields rather than over Misty Fjords. All were good, my preference is just the glaciers.

I've done several flights out of Ketchikan, some thru the cruise line and also with Michelle /Island Wings. Only once out of Skagway over Glacier Bay with Mountain Flying (based down in Haines) Also several out of Juneau.

My preference would be Skagway (or Juneau) over the glaciers and icefields rather than over Misty Fjords. All were good, my preference is just the glaciers.

Does anyone have any pictures of flight seeing over misty fjords? B/c we are doing other excursions in Skagway and Juneau and thought about flightseeing in M.F - it is still good correct - any pictures, etc - thanks

Thanks Doug!

In Juneau we have the Tracy Fjord tour booked. I was looking at Mountain Flying at Skagway or Island Wings in Ketchikan just can't decide on which one to do

I recommend Ketchikan for flightseeing... Skagway has too many activities for a flight...

• White Pass Railway
  • Yukon
  • Liarsville
  • Red Onion

I've been to Skagway 8 times. I've never been to Liarsville and have only peeked in the door at the Red Onion. I don't feel like I've missed anything special, and certainly wouldn't suggest someone give up a flightseeing opportunity in order to visit those places.

A couple of photos from Misty Fjords. Sorry, I'm not a professional photographer, so these were just taken from my iPhone.

19623853233_0d089acd03_z.jpg

20058266649_65d2bf9805_z.jpg

You can get some spectacular glacier flightseeing in Ketchikan with a specific flight. It also isn't just Glacier Bay out of Skagway. Helicopter tours are excellent as well.

It indeed is a tough choice. I also would not discourage you from flying twice. I usually fly more than once on my trips.

As I mentioned, Misty, is beautiful deep fjords, cliffs, alpine lakes, a lot of greenery, sitka spruce forests. There should be a lot of photos online.

I've been to Skagway 8 times. I've never been to Liarsville and have only peeked in the door at the Red Onion. I don't feel like I've missed anything special, and certainly wouldn't suggest someone give up a flightseeing opportunity in order to visit those places.

A couple of photos from Misty Fjords. Sorry, I'm not a professional photographer, so these were just taken from my iPhone.

19623853233_0d089acd03_z.jpg

20058266649_65d2bf9805_z.jpg

Those pictures are beautiful!!See why it's so hard to decide!!

You can get some spectacular glacier flightseeing in Ketchikan with a specific flight. It also isn't just Glacier Bay out of Skagway. Helicopter tours are excellent as well.

It indeed is a tough choice. I also would not discourage you from flying twice. I usually fly more than once on my trips.

As I mentioned, Misty, is beautiful deep fjords, cliffs, alpine lakes, a lot of greenery, sitka spruce forests. There should be a lot of photos online.

It really is a hard decision!! It would be nice to take two flights :) I am going to start looking in Ketchikan as to see the flights with the glaciers. Although Misty Fjord sounds nice also and those pictures Sherry posted the place looks beautiful!! Also check out the helicopter tours out of Skagway.

Thank you for all your help!!

Does anyone have any pictures of flight seeing over misty fjords? B/c we are doing other excursions in Skagway and Juneau and thought about flightseeing in M.F - it is still good correct - any pictures, etc - thanks

Here is the Island Wings website with a video of a flight to Misty Fjords

http://www.islandwings.com/misty-fjords---glaciers-flightseeing-tours.html

And here is Skagway flight with Mountain Flying

http://www.mountainflyingservice.com/glacier-bay-media

My first choice would be from Skagway but the Ketchikan flight is well worth taking also

Here is the Island Wings website with a video of a flight to Misty Fjords

http://www.islandwings.com/misty-fjords---glaciers-flightseeing-tours.html

And here is Skagway flight with Mountain Flying

http://www.mountainflyingservice.com/glacier-bay-media

My first choice would be from Skagway but the Ketchikan flight is well worth taking also

Thanks Doug for the links!!

Still trying to decide!

It really is a hard decision!! It would be nice to take two flights :) I am going to start looking in Ketchikan as to see the flights with the glaciers. Although Misty Fjord sounds nice also and those pictures Sherry posted the place looks beautiful!! Also check out the helicopter tours out of Skagway.

Thank you for all your help!!

Out of Ketchikan the glacier flights are an add on to Misty Fiords.