Belkin Surge Protector with USB ports

SherriZ366

That's a good option, but I recommend one with a cord. Pretty sure Anker makes a similar box with a 3' cord. That allows you some more flexibility.

Hmm, I guess the fact that there may not be enough room at the receptacle location for a 4 port (we have a 2 port) makes that a good idea.

Something like this?:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487007050&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+charger

Hmm, I guess the fact that there may not be enough room at the receptacle location for a 4 port (we have a 2 port) makes that a good idea.

Something like this?:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487007050&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+charger

exactly like that. My wife has one and it works pretty well. It doesn't seem to do the fast charging for her samsung phone, but it does charge it just fine. for us, with 3 phones, couple of tablets, and an action cam that charges via USB something like that is pretty crucial.

exactly like that. My wife has one and it works pretty well. It doesn't seem to do the fast charging for her samsung phone, but it does charge it just fine. for us, with 3 phones, couple of tablets, and an action cam that charges via USB something like that is pretty crucial.

Then you need the updated version that has quick charging on it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IUTIUEA

But I have the older 5 port version myself that I take on cruises. Between cameras, cell phones, e-readers, and my windows 8 tablet, five USB charging ports is a life saver.

Have both a Belkin and the second one you recommend. The Belkin gets used rarely now at home, while the second is always in use. Mine has a long chord to plug in which makes it easier to declutter your desk by moving your charging items to a shelf. Also I'm a bed reader, so this longer chord plus a long 10 ft charging cord makes it perfect for me to charge while reading in bed. Definitely time to leave the Belkin at home.

Sounds practical!

I ordered this one. It doesn't have any mention of surge protection in the description.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerCube-Original-Outlet-Power-Adapter/dp/B01860ON0S/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1487090783&sr=8-10&keywords=power%2Bcube&th=1

Hope it's acceptable.

Good choice!

For those looking at the PowerCubes, be aware that Amazon and presumably others retailers are selling two versions of this particular model, the older model without surge protection and a newer version with.

Amazon descriptions:

Older Model 👍

PowerCube Original 4 Outlet Power Adapter with USB Port - Cobalt Blue

• World's smallest 4 multi socket
  • Plugs will never block or obstruct each other
  • The PowerCube can be mounted within reach using the included docking system
  • Dual high-powered USB port
  • As the PowerCube is modular, you can expand the amount of power outlets
  • Safety: all PowerCubes are ETL certified, have a child lock and a resettable fuse
  • The design, functionality and the 'invention' of the PowerCube patented

Newer Model 👎

PowerCube [Newest Version] USB, Surge Protector, Electric Outlet Wall Adapter Power Strip with 4 outlets, Dual USB Port 4220BL/USOUPC

• 1 USB port with 2x5V output
  • Provides 4 additional outlets and 1 USB port
  • USB Charging will not interfere with use of outlets
  • Connect multiple Power Cubes together for increased functionality
  • Convenient power adapter with 4 outlets, 2 USB ports and Surge Protector

I'd been using the Belkin the OP posted for years. I saw some discussion on the boards so on my last cruise (Brilliance) I took it down to guest services to ask them if its allowed and if not, why. The gentleman I asked went into the office and came out with his superior. He told me no problem with it. Wanted to know where I'd heard it was a problem.

I will continue to use it on trips both in hotels and ships. I usually have it in my checked bag.

I'd been using the Belkin the OP posted for years. I saw some discussion on the boards so on my last cruise (Brilliance) I took it down to guest services to ask them if its allowed and if not, why. The gentleman I asked went into the office and came out with his superior. He told me no problem with it. Wanted to know where I'd heard it was a problem.

I will continue to use it on trips both in hotels and ships. I usually have it in my checked bag.

And you would trust the front desk manager about a technical problem over the USCG?

And you would trust the front desk manager about a technical problem over the USCG?

From the USCG document:

An SPD should be -• only permitted for use onboard once approved by a trained crewmember,• removed from service if it is hot to touch,• unplugged when not in use,• regularly inspected for damage or wear,• limited to one SPD per single duplex receptacle outlet and never daisy chained,• prevented from use in excessively humid or moist environments,• provided air circulation and not covered with carpet or other items, and• checked to ensure that all plugs are fully engaged.

Since all of these things are true in my case, yes.

So, you'd rather risk a fire aboard ship based on the comments of a couple of guest services employees rather than listen to the advice of a chief engineer with an intimate knowledge of a ship's electrical system and the USCG's Marine Safety Alert warning against the use of surge protected devices on ships? (http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf)

I hope that we never sail together and that your attitude doesn't result in some future tragedy.

So, you'd rather risk a fire aboard ship based on the comments of a couple of guest services employees rather than listen to the advice of a chief engineer with an intimate knowledge of a ship's electrical system and the USCG's Marine Safety Alert warning against the use of surge protected devices on ships? (http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf)

I hope that we never sail together and that your attitude doesn't result in some future tragedy.

If you read my last post, I am meeting all of the guidelines from the USCG document. I've never left the cabin with anything plugged in. When traveling with my elderly mother we also unplug the extension cord they provide for her c-pap machine.

From the USCG document:

An SPD should be -• only permitted for use onboard once approved by a trained crewmember,• removed from service if it is hot to touch,• unplugged when not in use,• regularly inspected for damage or wear,• limited to one SPD per single duplex receptacle outlet and never daisy chained,• prevented from use in excessively humid or moist environments,• provided air circulation and not covered with carpet or other items, and• checked to ensure that all plugs are fully engaged.

If you read my last post, I am meeting all of the guidelines from the USCG document. I've never left the cabin with anything plugged in. When traveling with my elderly mother we also unplug the extension cord they provide for her c-pap machine.

1. Which trained crew member approves your Belkin? In the context of the USCG, that means trained in the electrical system and related devices, not a guest services employee.

2. Who do you get to regularly inspect the unit, including its electrical components, for damage or wear? Or do you simply look at the outside of the casing and pronounce it safe?

There are many safe alternatives that are available for $20-$30. Do yourself and everyone else a favour and buy one instead of second guessing the experts. I did, and use my Belkin at home.

I just ordered the older blue one. 19.99 surge protector not mentioned the newer version clearly stated surge protector. I am assuming since not mentioned the older blue one is ok.

That's also the one I just ordered. I just compared with the descriptions on Post #58.

I just read the USCG advisory and is anybody on here a Marine Electrical Profession?

Bottom line, am I gonna chance it? Nope.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess chengkp75 qualifies as a Marine Electrical Professional. I'm thinking the first part of his username comes from Chief Engineer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the USCG document:

1. Which trained crew member approves your Belkin? In the context of the USCG, that means trained in the electrical system and related devices, not a guest services employee.

2. Who do you get to regularly inspect the unit, including its electrical components, for damage or wear? Or do you simply look at the outside of the casing and pronounce it safe?

There are many safe alternatives that are available for $20-$30. Do yourself and everyone else a favour and buy one instead of second guessing the experts. I did, and use my Belkin at home.

The USCG Safety Notice does not say that they recommend the use of commercial surge protectors, but that those things you quote should be followed. Even following all those steps does not preclude the surge protector catching fire, it only ensures that someone is there when the fire happens.

If you want to search my posts, you will find hundreds concerning surge protectors, and explanations as to why they are dangerous, and why prior successful use is no guarantee of future safe operation. You will note in the USCG Safety Notice that the fire was caused not by the surge protector, but because something else grounded elsewhere on the ship, which caused the reverse voltage that caused the surge protector to catch fire. So, regardless of what you do, with your surge protector, a fault somewhere else on the ship can cause it to fail.

I will also repeat what I've said in many posts. If surge protectors were needed onboard, don't you think that the ship's electronics, from the POS registers, to the main servers, to the thousands of TV's, to the computers on every supervisor's desk, to even critical items like the radio equipment, the navigation equipment, the engine and steering controls on the bridge, or the automation systems that control the entire engine room, keeping the lights on and the propellers turning, would be protected with surge protectors? Well, even though there are special surge protectors designed for marine applications, there is not one, single, surge protector on any of the equipment listed above, and I've been on several ship hit by lightning, and none of those systems has ever been affected.

And, yes, as a marine engineer for 42 years, I'm a bit of a "marine electrical professional". And fouremco is correct, in his questioning of your "meeting" two of the requirements of the USCG Safety Notice.

The USCG Safety Notice does not say that they recommend the use of commercial surge protectors, but that those things you quote should be followed. Even following all those steps does not preclude the surge protector catching fire, it only ensures that someone is there when the fire happens.

If you want to search my posts, you will find hundreds concerning surge protectors, and explanations as to why they are dangerous, and why prior successful use is no guarantee of future safe operation. You will note in the USCG Safety Notice that the fire was caused not by the surge protector, but because something else grounded elsewhere on the ship, which caused the reverse voltage that caused the surge protector to catch fire. So, regardless of what you do, with your surge protector, a fault somewhere else on the ship can cause it to fail.

I will also repeat what I've said in many posts. If surge protectors were needed onboard, don't you think that the ship's electronics, from the POS registers, to the main servers, to the thousands of TV's, to the computers on every supervisor's desk, to even critical items like the radio equipment, the navigation equipment, the engine and steering controls on the bridge, or the automation systems that control the entire engine room, keeping the lights on and the propellers turning, would be protected with surge protectors? Well, even though there are special surge protectors designed for marine applications, there is not one, single, surge protector on any of the equipment listed above, and I've been on several ship hit by lightning, and none of those systems has ever been affected.

And, yes, as a marine engineer for 42 years, I'm a bit of a "marine electrical professional". And fouremco is correct, in his questioning of your "meeting" two of the requirements of the USCG Safety Notice.

OK - I just ordered the powercube and I promise to take it on all future cruises. I honestly didn't think it was that big a deal but I admit when I'm wrong.

OK - I just ordered the powercube and I promise to take it on all future cruises. I honestly didn't think it was that big a deal but I admit when I'm wrong.

I had no idea this was potentially so hazardous either! We've taken the Belkin on multiple cruises and never once thought we were doing anything wrong. This thread has educated a LOT of people, I would imagine. Thank you for starting it, I won't ever take my Belkin on a cruise again either...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had no idea this was potentially so hazardous either! We've taken the Belkin on multiple cruises and never once thought we were doing anything wrong. This thread has educated a LOT of people, I would imagine. Thank you for starting it, I won't ever take my Belkin on a cruise again either...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 11 months later...