Spa treatments, Explorer of the Seas

I'm considering purchasing a Swedish massage and a facial for myself and hubby as a special treat on our upcoming cruise on the Explorer. At $310 Australian for the two 50 min treatments, it's ridiculously expensive. Can anyone tell me if it's worth the splurge...Just as a treat? Or is the money better spent elsewhere?

It's not something we spend time or money on here at home, so I'm just wondering if it's worth doing as a holiday treat....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I'm considering purchasing a Swedish massage and a facial for myself and hubby as a special treat on our upcoming cruise on the Explorer. At $310 Australian for the two 50 min treatments, it's ridiculously expensive. Can anyone tell me if it's worth the splurge...Just as a treat? Or is the money better spent elsewhere?

It's not something we spend time or money on here at home, so I'm just wondering if it's worth doing as a holiday treat....

ok... let's start....

what is a 'swedish massage' ??? - what someone just rubbing your back ?? and what guarantee is that the person providing this 'service' onboard actually know or delivers it ?? :)

Me.... I get a massage at my local shopping centre here in The Shire and it's $50 for 45min - dependent on whom I get it can be good or FANTASTIC (given that I weight train 6-7 days a week - I need this massage to get the knots and soreness out of back and legs).

I noted the prices on Ovation when we were on last month - and yes... THEY ARE OUTRAGEOUS.

deep Tissue Muscle Massage - 75min for $U185 !!! :eek: (add in the currency difference + the obligatory 18% service charge... and it's nearly $300.

I recently caught up a friend whom did a trip to Fiji .. and said that he left with $6000.. half of that was gone in less than a few days doing these 'add-on' stuff......it all ADDs up !!!

IMO .. they are a ripoff and you could find so much better .... but... it's your $$...

ok... let's start....

what is a 'swedish massage' ??? - what someone just rubbing your back ?? and what guarantee is that the person providing this 'service' onboard actually know or delivers it ?? :)

Me.... I get a massage at my local shopping centre here in The Shire and it's $50 for 45min - dependent on whom I get it can be good or FANTASTIC (given that I weight train 6-7 days a week - I need this massage to get the knots and soreness out of back and legs).

I noted the prices on Ovation when we were on last month - and yes... THEY ARE OUTRAGEOUS.

deep Tissue Muscle Massage - 75min for $U185 !!! :eek: (add in the currency difference + the obligatory 18% service charge... and it's nearly $300.

I recently caught up a friend whom did a trip to Fiji .. and said that he left with $6000.. half of that was gone in less than a few days doing these 'add-on' stuff......it all ADDs up !!!

IMO .. they are a ripoff and you could find so much better .... but... it's your $$...

Thank you for the honest advice. I really don't want to spend that sort of money.... I just wondered if there was something about the Royal Caribbean experience that might make it worth it....

Think I will keep my money for something else....?👍👍

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Look, it's a very nice experience onboard, better than what you would typically get at a shopping centre. Very peaceful and very attentive, and the materials are all high quality and clean/renewed which may or may not - probably not - happen at a cheaper suburban option. I'd certainly rate them better than what you get at suburban outlets, from a bit to a lot depending on the suburban outlet.

That said, the price is still very high for what it is. It's a bit like flying business class on a plane. You get a better experience - but you pay a lot more than most can justify. Unfortunately after the refurbishment on Explorer, the spa also lost its brilliant outdoor views as well (so that more cabins could be built for more revenue - sigh), which was a bonus point that you didn't get elsewhere.

So it comes down to a value judgement. It's not that you get a pro rata number of dollars more worth of service, but just a high end experience. Whether that is worthwhile depends on the individual budget.

Put another way, if you don't mind the splurge and it won't impact your finances you'll likely enjoy the experience. But if that much money hurts that you're going to spend time thinking about it, or you may not be able to get something else you want instead, probably not worth it.

Edited by The_Big_M

Hi Shireboi, can I ask where you go as I'm looking for somewhere near my area that comes recommended?

Use a shopping centre one called Lee Massage based around Sydney and surrounding areas.

And speaking of the Explorer.....

Started a new contract in the CBD - and the VIEW has my looking straight at Circ Quay - and Explorer is in today. And Ovation is in on Friday :)

My beautician charges $99 for a 60 minute Swedish Massage. I think she is very good (and I've had quite a few massages over the years) so I think her price is a good comparison price. She is a little more expensive than some shopping mall massage places though.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ