Great itinerary, just a little worried about the ship

trajan

Hi,

We are looking at booking the Jan 7, 2018 sailing on the Dawn, San Juan to Tampa. Very nice itinerary with stops in Philipsburg, St. John's/Antigua, Fort-de-France, Bridgetown, Basseterre, St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie. I'm just a bit concerned about the age of the ship in regards to reliability and overall quality. Does anyone know if this ship has been or has an upcoming refit? How does it compare to the Jewel? And we are a family of 4. Is it correct there are no quad balconies on this ship? I don't get any balcony results. Any replies appreciated!

You don't have anything to worry about with the Dawn. We sailed on her for our first cruise in 2014 and loved her. I actually prefer her over the Jewel class ships we've sailed on. As mentioned before, she recently had an extensive dry dock. Go and enjoy this beautiful ship and great itinerary :)

• Like 1

Thanks much for all the feedback! Very useful. And I see that this ship just won a Cruiser's Choice award for best for families. Very impressive.

Another question, we have a cruise next certificate for $250. Can that be used as the full deposit or is the $250 applied like cash to the deposit and thus more would be owing on the deposit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Comparing to Jewel class... the Dawn won't have the Great Outdoors area or the Spinaker Lounge (that area was converted to suites a couple dry docks ago).

We sailed the Dawn in November, post dry dock - and thought it was absolutely beautiful. It honestly felt like a new ship to us.

We have not cruised the Dawn before but are booked on the cruise prior to the one you are looking into. As others have said, it has recently gone through a long dry dock. Here is a link to some outstanding photos of the new interior of the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2448727&highlight=dawn

I love the new contemporary looks of the decor. This review has got us very excited about the cruise. We are cruising with another couple who are booked on this cruise with us for 10 days and will be staying on for a back-2-back cruise with the one you are looking at. Wish we could do the same, but we have to be back at work on January 8th. Your itinerary is very similar to the one we do (minus a couple islands to add in a few sea days to make it up to Tampa).

The Dawn is a wonderful ship with a great staff. She had a very long dry dock, last year I believe. I would sail on Her again in a heartbeat.

Can not answer your question about balconies- stayed in an Inside cabin and loved it.

I agree!!! We sailed her last August had a great trip. Absolutely loved the ship, entertainment and staff. Can't wait to sail her again.

Thanks much for all the feedback! Very useful. And I see that this ship just won a Cruiser's Choice award for best for families. Very impressive.

Another question, we have a cruise next certificate for $250. Can that be used as the full deposit or is the $250 applied like cash to the deposit and thus more would be owing on the deposit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The CruiseNext certificate will serve as the entire deposit on the non-suite cabins you are looking at.

We have not cruised the Dawn before but are booked on the cruise prior to the one you are looking into. As others have said, it has recently gone through a long dry dock. Here is a link to some outstanding photos of the new interior of the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2448727&highlight=dawn

I love the new contemporary looks of the decor. This review has got us very excited about the cruise. We are cruising with another couple who are booked on this cruise with us for 10 days and will be staying on for a back-2-back cruise with the one you are looking at. Wish we could do the same, but we have to be back at work on January 8th. Your itinerary is very similar to the one we do (minus a couple islands to add in a few sea days to make it up to Tampa).

Ship looks really good. Not sure what I expect from such a refit but certainly not that. Looks like a new ship. Ty for the link and ty philip_eunice1 for the video.

The CruiseNext certificate will serve as the entire deposit on the non-suite cabins you are looking at.

That's what I thought but I tried it online and it's still showing a sizable balance owing for the deposit. I'll phone in and see if I get a different result. Ty.

While the Dawn has fresh paint, it's still a small ship. We sail based on the ports. So, we are willing to take the dated entertainment and cruise program.

FYI - the Dawn had won best entertainment (shows) in the fleet for at least 6 months by last month.

Hi,

We are looking at booking the Jan 7, 2018 sailing on the Dawn, San Juan to Tampa. Very nice itinerary with stops in Philipsburg, St. John's/Antigua, Fort-de-France, Bridgetown, Basseterre, St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie. I'm just a bit concerned about the age of the ship in regards to reliability and overall quality. Does anyone know if this ship has been or has an upcoming refit? How does it compare to the Jewel? And we are a family of 4. Is it correct there are no quad balconies on this ship? I don't get any balcony results. Any replies appreciated!

The ship is great! No worries, no concerns.:)

Enjoy your cruise. That is a lovely itinerary.

• 3 years later...
On 2/14/2017 at 11:32 AM, trajan said:

Hi,

How was the trip?