Who will be Symphony's Captains?

Joe12

It won't be any of the previous Oasis take out captains. Captain Bill Wright and Captain Hernan Zini are no longer with Royal, while Captain Gus Andersson told us at Captain's Corner on Harmony in October that he wishes to be on her for a significant time, having also been involved with Quantum and Anthem.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the ship's deployment is being released, RCI should be appointing someone soon.

I hope they give it to Captain Claus from the Anthem. I know he loved that ship, and it was cut short, and he was sent over to the Mariner in Asia, so it would be nice if they gave him another shot at a new ship.

I must be missing something, because who is captain has never made any difference to me. Sure, some may be more personable when they make announcements or appear at functions. But beyond that, I've never noticed any difference between captains on any cruise ship.

I must be missing something, because who is captain has never made any difference to me. Sure, some may be more personable when they make announcements or appear at functions. But beyond that, I've never noticed any difference between captains on any cruise ship.

Yes you missed something, he did not ask if it made any difference to you:cool:

I thought that, until I met Captain Johnny on Allure in 2015.

In comparison, having had Johnny, i didn't enjoy the Captain on Anthem last year even slightly as much, although I did enjoy Captain Gus on Harmony.

Some have interesting announcements, cool catchphrases, and are funny. Others are uninspired, hard to understand. There are even a select few who don't get involved in the basic Activities, like a Captain's Corner.

Some are very friendly, some are not visible around the ship.

Some motivate their crew and have a good relationship. Others don't.

Most of all, they ALL know how to do their jobs. You can be assured that if they work for RCI.

Yes you missed something, he did not ask if it made any difference to you:cool:

Well if we are narrowly limited to only respond to the exact question the OP asked, then your post doesn't meet that criteria either.

I wasn't being critical, just wondering what difference the captain made in what I had thought was a polite way. I didn't think I said anything to merit a snooty response, but you're the one with 5000 posts so what do I know?

Now that the ship's deployment is being released, RCI should be appointing someone soon.

I hope they give it to Captain Claus from the Anthem. I know he loved that ship, and it was cut short, and he was sent over to the Mariner in Asia, so it would be nice if they gave him another shot at a new ship.

Totally agree, loved that Captain :D

Well if we are narrowly limited to only respond to the exact question the OP asked, then your post doesn't meet that criteria either.

I wasn't being critical, just wondering what difference the captain made in what I had thought was a polite way. I didn't think I said anything to merit a snooty response, but you're the one with 5000 posts so what do I know?

I guess you've not met setsail? [emoji3]

It won't be any of the previous Oasis take out captains. Captain Bill Wright and Captain Hernan Zini are no longer with Royal, while Captain Gus Andersson told us at Captain's Corner on Harmony in October that he wishes to be on her for a significant time, having also been involved with Quantum and Anthem.
Has Captain Zini totally left RCCL or does he have a shore-side job in Miami?

Capt. Kate McCue from Celebrity spent several days on board Oasis of the Seas recently. Maybe she's going to Port Canaveral and one of the current captains of Oasis will take Symphony. Would you consider moving from Celebrity to an Oasis-class ship a promotion?

Just my observation, Captain Johnny and his crew for the most part seem to have mutual respect for one another, and that is a plus for everyone who lives and works on board for months at a time.

Capt. Kate McCue from Celebrity spent several days on board Oasis of the Seas recently. Maybe she's going to Port Canaveral and one of the current captains of Oasis will take Symphony. Would you consider moving from Celebrity to an Oasis-class ship a promotion?

She worked with Royal before. When she was promoted to Captain, Captain Johnny referenced their days on Mariner on Twitter.

I thought she has only been Captain for 3 years?

I suppose that Captain Gus only did 3 years on EN, having come from AL as Staff Captain before doing some stints on Q and A, and then over to HM, so it could happen, and jn a way it would be a promotion.

She worked with Royal before. When she was promoted to Captain, Captain Johnny referenced their days on Mariner on Twitter.

I thought she has only been Captain for 3 years?

I suppose that Captain Gus only did 3 years on EN, having come from AL as Staff Captain before doing some stints on Q and A, and then over to HM, so it could happen, and jn a way it would be a promotion.

I remember Captain Kate on MA when Captain Johnny was praising her backing out of port.

In the past it was a company policy that Captains must not switch from Royal to Celebrity or vice versa.

It is not a promotion if you go to a bigger ship but more responsibility that requires more experience. I trust no Captain will go to Oasis class with one or two years experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...

Captains are: Rick Sullivan and Rob Hempstead- Captain Hempstead started his rotation on 3-17-2018 but I think Captain Sullivan was also onboard. The ship did a 2 day stress cruise and is now on a preview cruise to Malaga.

Captain Sullivan did a rotation on OA to familiarize himself with the class. He was our captain on our November cruise.

We sailed with him as our captain on Navigator twice before he moved to Anthem. Loved him

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Captains are: Rick Sullivan and Rob Hempstead- Captain Hempstead started his rotation on 3-17-2018 but I think Captain Sullivan was also onboard. The ship did a 2 day stress cruise and is now on a preview cruise to Malaga.

Captain Sullivan did a rotation on OA to familiarize himself with the class. He was our captain on our November cruise.

He got Black Cod added to the Pinnacle Lunch. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app