If not Cave Tubing or Snorkeling then what?

mamiamjo

Trying to figure out what to do during our stop in Belize (Carnival Breeze). I've seen tours for Cave Tubing, Snorkeling, Swimming with Rays and Sharks, but they don't appeal to our group.

What would you recommend other than these? Is there anything we can do on our own, or is everything there part of a ship excursion?

Mayan ruins.

Altun Ha is closest. Xunantunich and Lamanai are longer trips. There are private vendrs who will take you to all. My preference would be to use a private vendor for Altun Ha ( Reggies Tours or Nacho and Cynthia are good) and use ship excursions for the other two, just to be safe in getting back to pier in time for last tender or that if late the ship will wait.

Other than that, take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and walk around.

Xunantunich is a wonderful excursion. It is a long bus ride, but the tour guides talk the whole way there, giving you history and information about their country that is fascinating! No kidding, we arrived there so fast it was amazing and no one complained. Then the ruins are just spectacular. Lunch was at a local restaurant, very yummy, and then the ride back most people napped. Long day but great great great.

2015Xunantunich4.JPG

2015Belize715.JPG

we thoroughly enjoyed the Lamanai Ruins excursion through Carnival. I would only book through the ship on this one, as it is a LONG tour, and we did run a tad late. No worries, as it was booked through Carnival they were in communication to let then know we were coming back a bit late. Because of that we didn't have time to shop in port, made it out on the last tender. SO worth it! as someone else noted, our guide talked the whole bus ride to the place where we got onto the river boat, very informative. George was born and raised in Belize, so he was full of knowledge. On the way he pointed out iguanas in the trees and other sights. at the ruins we were guided by two fellows who were actual Maya descendants, talk about the inside story! and the ruins were awe inspiring, super cool. I would recommend this excursion to anyone. photo.php?fbid=10210425902273107&set=t.1510205627&type=3&theater