Panama Canal tour guide?

mared1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a tour booked with Mario for feb, (I booked it in sep) He first said we only needed to give him a list of names, Now I get a email and he wants $1750 in a money order sent to a Indiana address. I am afraid to sent him any money.

what if he does not show up at the pier. Has he asked anyone else for money?

Ahhhh... did you say $1750??????? I would never send that much money to any tour op ahead of time for an excursion unless I had an ironclad "contract" re default (his or yours) etc. And an Indiana address..?// I've been in the travel business a long time and never heard of this. If he wants everyone in the group to pay individually perhaps you can handle with credit card numbers but this is a ludicrous request IMHO.. that much money??? :eek: :eek:

I had a tour booked with Mario for feb, (I booked it in sep) He first said we only needed to give him a list of names, Now I get a email and he wants $1750 in a money order sent to a Indiana address. I am afraid to sent him any money.

what if he does not show up at the pier. Has he asked anyone else for money?

I agree with Caroline, I would never pay that much in advance .... we just did an independent tour in Costa Rica with 40+ people, and the op said we could all pay at the END of the tour (it was over $2000) .. not in advance, and not at the beginning. Last year we booked a private yacht in St Lucia for $700 for a large group - to be paid when we arrived. How would you get your funds back if the ship doesn't make port, or the op doesn't show? Giving a credit card for a deposit gives you some recourse, a money order has none - once it's cashed - it's gone.

I have no intentions of sending him any money.

I will be happy to give him a charge card, He said he does not take charge cards. I am so disapointed, My friends and family was looking forward to this tour.

Can we still see the Canal on our own?

This is the email

Payment instruction:

Send us a money order for USD1,732.50 (50%) to:

Sidia Fink

8750 Johnston street

Highland Indiana

Details: CL007 - Liberty - Feb.23th

the rest (USD1,732.50) you will pay us in cash and onland.

Refund policy: I will refund you the 90% of the balance if you

send cancellation email at least 7 day prior to the tour. Deadline to

cancel the tour Feb.16,2006

Attached you will find picture of the guide(Mario) and Colon2000 port

map with details about where meet me. If you can not find me for any

external reason please call me 6678-2271.

See you on Feb.23th from the 7:00 am

Your friend Mario

Go back to mario's website and post to him under the forums board. I had a problem booking on-line and did this, he got back to me and said that we could pay cash before boarding the bus. How big is your group anyway- that's alot of money!!!! If they insist on a deposit I'd send $100 no more than that.

Palmtre2,

I have 69 people, with my group plus people on my roll call

I talked him into taking $10 per person as a deposit

This way we won't lose that much money if he does not show up.

The hard part is collecting the deposit from everyone.

Lynn

Palmtre2,

You are probably right! But in sept when I booked this tour he said all I needed was a list of names. If I knew he wanted a cash deposit I would of never took this on. I have planned large tours before, sometimes they will ask for a charge card number never cash sent to a Indiana address.

I will let you know how things work out

Thanks

Lynn

• 1 month later...

disneylynn, did you end up booking with Mario? I have a small group that is going to be on the same Liberty cruise. We are thinking about booking with Mario, but have not done so yet. I just sent him an e-mail tonight to see if he was going to require a deposit.

I have no intentions of sending him any money.

I will be happy to give him a charge card, He said he does not take charge cards. I am so disapointed, My friends and family was looking forward to this tour.

Can we still see the Canal on our own?

This is the email

Payment instruction:

Send us a money order for USD1,732.50 (50%) to:

Sidia Fink

8750 Johnston street

Highland Indiana

Details: CL007 - Liberty - Feb.23th

the rest (USD1,732.50) you will pay us in cash and onland.

Refund policy: I will refund you the 90% of the balance if you

send cancellation email at least 7 day prior to the tour. Deadline to

cancel the tour Feb.16,2006

Attached you will find picture of the guide(Mario) and Colon2000 port

map with details about where meet me. If you can not find me for any

external reason please call me 6678-2271.

See you on Feb.23th from the 7:00 am

Your friend Mario

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We just got back from the Carnival Legend in April. My Friend Mario's tour was the highlight of our cruise, I would go as far to say that this was the best shore excursion we have had on any cruise (this was cruise #12). We have 2 more cruises booked that are going to Panama and are booked with Mario for both of them. His prices are reasonable (actual per person work out to be about $65) He will probably fill his tour then you will get that price (we did). He will ask for a deposit (don't worry he doesn't ask for another cent until completion of the tour).

Archived