Compass Rose On Explorer

ClefsDor

I noticed on some recent youtube clips taken on the Explorer that the Compass Rose dining room looks like it's VERY brightly lit at night. This is a pet peeve of mine as I think restaurants that are overly bright at night tend to lack ambience. Can anyone chime in if this is actually the case?

I didn't notice it any brighter than normal but if it was then it would be more concentrated in the middle. If you get a table by the window I think the lighting is a lot less harsh over there! (It's also a LOT quieter.) I think during the day most of the light comes from the window and then by the time its dinner its dark and so you don't get the natural light coming in. I took quite a few pictures of some of my meals and I always had to use flash...so the light can't be that great! Haha

Yes, it's too bright. We were told that older passengers complained when the lights were dimmed. Better in the back and on the sides. Let the maitre d' know your preference.

Do not disagree but wonder what good it would do to let the maître d' know your preference if there are different preferences. I understand that most people over 40 cannot read a menu in dim light without reading glasses (which Regent will loan you to read the menu but some people don't know that). I would think that there would be a "happy medium".

Obviously during the summer, CR is quite bright. Then the issues becomes whether you want to dine with the sun in your face or not (they can close the drapes but again, some people complain that their view is being obstructed).

Yes, it's too bright. We were told that older passengers complained when the lights were dimmed. Better in the back and on the sides. Let the maitre d' know your preference.

We are due on board Explorer in June and really looking forward to it. :D

I have read that Compass Rose can also be noisy and again the 'back' was recommended as a quieter area. Could somebody please explain what is meant by the back - I assume it's the area nearest the stern? And why it is quieter and less bright? TIA.