Luggage on the Ghan

Has anyone travelled on the Ghan Darwin - Adelaide? I can't seem to find any information on storage space for cabin baggage. I know our large suitcases are put in the hold and inaccessible during the journey. But where do I put my roll-on bag in the compartment?

Any info graciously received:)

If it is the same as the Indian Pacific (and I think it will be unless you are Platinum class which is larger), it is very squeezy in the cabin. The smallest bag you can get away with for the few days is the way to go. I think we put ours under the seat/bed. The bathroom is tiny.

Haven't done the Ghan but the IP was a wonderful trip.

Done the Ghan and Indian Pacific in Gold Class, not a lot of room, travel light, no formal nights !! Both the same rolling stock.

They do have a baggage car for excess luggage, well they did in 2004. !!

Yes the bathroom is smaller than any ship's cabin's bathroom, by a country mile.

Food and service excellent.

An experience, but very expensive.

Done the Ghan and Indian Pacific in Gold Class, not a lot of room, travel light, no formal nights !! Both the same rolling stock.

They do have a baggage car for excess luggage, well they did in 2004. !!

Yes the bathroom is smaller than any ship's cabin's bathroom, by a country mile.

Food and service excellent.

An experience, but very expensive.

If Red class available on the train, the shower recess is probably bigger than the whole ensuite in Gold Class. On our journeys we have discretely used those facilities.

Honestly, if your are more than 5ft 5 tall and/or more than 100 kgs it's quite a squeeze in the Gold class shower,

One thing for sure, do not plan to save water and shower with a friend - the conductor will need to call the Fire Brigade to get you released from the recess at the next stop which is probably 8 hours or longer away.

As for the pull down toilet won't even go there.

But as said before a must do train journey for all, despite the cost.

Good doco on the Ghan on TV last night, 16 Feb. When we did the Ghan in February 2004, we were on the second trip southbound on the new line, Darwin to Adelaide. It was 1.2km long on our journey.

We actually sailed from Sydney to Darwin on Star Princess, had a week in Darwin, doing Kakadu etc, then the train. Current cost of a Gold ClassGhan Ticket is around $2000 - $2200, Platinum is $3300 depending on concessions, promotional fare etc. Not cheap, but a one off experience for us.:cool:

I think Red Class (Kangaroo) has gone from the train, just Gold and Platinum.

Great Southern Railway who own/operate the Ghan and Indian Pacific were in a bit of financial trouble a year or two ago, but someone came in and sorted it. They are still operating so must be viable now.

Yes we will be in Platinum - anybody done that? I believe all the carriages were revamped fairly recently.

As Platinum is a larger cabin there may be more space for overnight bags. It wasn't available on the IP when we went and we were in Gold. It sounds a wonderful trip - it's on my 'to do' list. If you like trains I can recommend the Eastern Orient Express in SE Asia and Rovos Rail in Africa, both excellent.

Platinum rooms have double beds instead of bunks. You also go to a different dining car and lounge to Gold passengers.

Apart from more spacious compartment and a double bed, one would expect for an extra $1000 pp over Gold Class, one would get enhanced dining and a better quality wine.:cool:

Now for todays lesson, you don't embark or debark/disembark a train, you Entrain and Detrain !!

:D